The Wing The Wing discussion

My Write-ups

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Glenn wrote: "“The Church says: the body is a sin.
Science says: the body is a machine.
Advertising says: The body is a business.
The Body says: I am a fiesta.”
"

That's a perfect summation. And the image is wonderfully chosen as well.

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Well, hurry up! :-)

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Glenn wrote: ""

Amado is easily my favorite Brazilian author. Clarice Lispector can't hold a candle to him in storytelling chops.

message 4: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Russell Richard wrote: "Glenn wrote: ""

Amado is easily my favorite Brazilian author. Clarice Lispector can't hold a candle to him in storytelling chops."

Jorge's nearly 30 novels, magical and loved by millions of readers, from literary intellectuals to workers in the field - a whole bunch of well-known writers can't hold a candle to this storytelling giant. Right now I'm reading his Two Deaths of QW. Should have a review up within a week. I'll make sure to hurry up :).

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Well, hurry faster! :-)

message 6: by Glenn (last edited Jun 29, 2016 04:43PM) (new)

Glenn Russell This tales and windows of this book includes dozens of illustrations by the Brazilian Woodblock Print Artist José Francisco Borges.

Back in 1993 when Walking Words was first published, Eduardo Galeano gave a reading in a small Manhattan bookstore. It was my good fortune to be among the enthusiastic audience. After the reading I exchanged a few words with the author and, of course, purchased his book. Eduardo wrote a personal inscription - "Walking Words walk toward Glenn."

message 7: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Russell Chas87351 wrote: "Didn't Plato tell everyone?"

Maybe he did!

I use this thread as my "working space" to work up my reviews. Thanks for visiting.

I should have this review of Walking Words up within the hour. Love to hear what you think after I post!!