English Mysteries Club discussion

Archive pre-2020 > 1990s-present police procedurals

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat Korsmo (kat_librarian) | 2 comments Hey there! I'm actually a writer as well as interested in a variety of reading ... I'm working on a project currently where I want to feature a London police detective in the 90's, and I'm having trouble finding any books or information about what it's actually like to do that job. I'm hoping some contemporary authors of English police detective procedurals can help me, if they're well-researched, and my experience is most of them are. Also of course if anyone knows nonfiction along these lines, that's even better, I just can't find any on Amazon and similar.

Any recommendations? I really haven't read any - I have such varied interests and read rather slowly so I haven't gotten around to really delving into any series of books of this subject yet, but am eager to start. (Henceforth I've been mostly only a rabid Sherlock Holmes fan, I hope that qualifies me for this group!)

I should mention I am American and have sadly never been to London or even England, so I feel like I really need to do my homework to get a feel for the English police system. Anything to this end that is fairly accurate would be very helpful!

message 2: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Rizzolo (skrizzolo) | 30 comments Hi Kat:

How about the work of Elizabeth George or Deborah Crombie? I think the early books in their series go back to the 90s. They too are American, but the books are well researched.

Best of luck to you.

message 3: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 115 comments You might try Ian Rankin. His 1st book is called Knots and Crosses. He's a Scotish author. Or Alison Bruce (British) Cambridge Blue........here are the links;

Knots & Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1) by Ian Rankin Knots & Crosses

Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1) by Alison Bruce Cambridge Blue

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Christopher Fowler's Peculiar Crimes Unit series, featuring detectives Bryant & May should be helpful.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/61019

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 14 comments Lynda la Plante's books are good too.

message 6: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) This existing thread lists many British police procedurals which may be useful to you: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I would suggest Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks series which started in the 1990s.

Just be aware when you check the various options of the differences between books set in Scotland and England since the Scottish legal system is different to the English one and it might affect your procedures.

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat Korsmo (kat_librarian) | 2 comments A thousand thanks to all of you! These are all truly helpful. Forgive me for not getting back to you all sooner - life being what it is! Many thanks - I'm going to peruse my libraries for any of these titles i can find.

message 8: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth (ken-g-smith) | 1 comments Kat wrote: "Hey there! I'm actually a writer as well as interested in a variety of reading ... I'm working on a project currently where I want to feature a London police detective in the 90's, and I'm having t..."
There are not many writers who incorporate the techniques of modern policing it has changed a lot and for the better. Modern methods are harder to write about since there are a lot more people and technology involved. I tried to incorporate it all into Hammer Blow. Those who read it said it works.