Play Book Tag discussion

Wild Seed (Patternmaster, #1)
This topic is about Wild Seed
June, 2016: Fantasy > Wild Seed - Octavia Butler (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1311 comments Wild Seed - Octavia Butler

4 stars

Wild Seed is about an immortal man, Doro, with the power to jump from body to body (killing the host in the process). Immortality can be lonesome so he begins breeding people with special gifts in the hopes that one day he will be able to breed someone like him rather than those that die so fast. In 17th century Africa he meets a woman who has the ability to heal herself and change her shape and he convinces her to accompany him to the New World to lend her seed to his breeding program. But those born into the wild are not always happy in Doro's communities and soon she will have to decide if the possibility of children that she will not outlive is worth being breeding stock for Doro.

This was an interesting and unique concept that examined issues involving identity, slavery and freedom. It reminded me of some of the themes explored in Butler's Dawn - especially genetic engineering and the creation of new species. I liked that the story took place between the 17th century and went through the 19th century. It was interesting reading the types of things that usually take place in futuristic books in our past. It also gave the author the opportunity to present social commentary on race relations and our violent history of slavery.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments I really liked Kindred by this author . . .this one sounds a little more "out there", but also a little more intriguing than most fantasy novels (seem to me) in terms of the social commentary and themes. Was it fast paced reading?

Cora (corareading) | 1311 comments It was a pretty fast read for me. It does require a bit of suspension of disbelief regarding everyone's abilities and powers though. A lot of the focus is on what it would be like having immortality in regards to loneliness and how it would change your relationships with those with regular life spans.