Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Janet Chapman
This topic is about Janet Chapman
2016 Challenge Archive > FAC: Janet Chapman (July 2016)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7147 comments July - Janet Chapman

Janet Chapman is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling romance author.

As a child and young adult Janet never liked writing, rarely even wrote letters. She was, however, a voracious reader. As her fortieth birthday approached, she decided she should try to write one of the stories rattling around in her head, just so she could read it herself. She spent the next six weeks writing her first romance novel, read it immediately, and stuck it in a closet. After repeating this process a few more times, she decided it might be a good idea to see if she could get her books published, if for no other reason than to justify all the time she was spent locked in a tiny room away from her family. She started out by attending a RWA conference in New York City, which caused major culture shock in someone who had spent her entire life in Maine! Several conferences and writing retreats later, she sent Charming the Highlander to a New York City agent who loved it so much that she sold it two weeks later as part of a three-book contract. Charming the Highlander was published in 2003, and she has published more than 20 contemporary and magical romance novels since.

Janet lives in a cozy log home on a beautiful lake with her husband, surrounded by an eclectic assortment of wildlife that she finds both entertaining and inspiring. When she’s not writing, Janet and her husband spend their time traveling the state in their camper throughout all four seasons; hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, and generally rubbing elbows with Mother Nature while always keeping an eye out for colorful new characters—human and beast—to put in her stories.

Janet's GR page is here: Janet Chapman

Challenge Task: Read one book written by our featured author, Janet Chapman.
Challenge Duration: The whole month of July.

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book you are planning to read.

You must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book.

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 2: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7147 comments **

message 3: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7147 comments **

message 4: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20348 comments I'm in! I'm a low A/high B - I read some of her stuff a few years back and liked it, but haven't managed to put any on the short list since then. I plan to listen to Spellbound Falls, sounds cute and audio is working better for me these days.

message 5: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7147 comments MountainKat wrote: "I plan to listen to Spellbound Falls, sounds cute and audio is working better for me these days."

I'm in, and I'd say I'm a high B - I've read several of her books and liked them a lot, but never really felt the need to jump right into the next book. I'm planning on listening to Spellbound Falls also. :D

message 6: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments I'm a B. I've read a couple of her books. I have Spellbound Falls (Spellbound Falls #1) by Janet Chapman on my iPad, so I'll read that.

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) | 929 comments I'm a B. I've been meaning to read Dragon Warrior (Midnight Bay, #2) by Janet Chapman

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments i have Dragon Warrior that i bought back in 2011 and haven't read...lol

message 9: by Zorina (new)

Zorina | 236 comments I'm a C and willing to give this author a try. Charming the Highlander sounds like a good start.

message 10: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments I'm an A. I have many of her books to choose from, so will decide later - maybe I'll just start from the beginning of her Highlander series and keep reading!

message 11: by cherryjellybeans (new)

cherryjellybeans (cherryandjellybeans) | 181 comments I'm also a C and would like to read The Man Must Marry for this challenge

message 12: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1646 comments I'm a C. Think I'll go with Charming the Highlander to get a feel for her. :)

message 13: by Katharina (new)

Katharina | 802 comments I'm a C, but I've had the Pine Creek Highlanders series on my tbr list for ages. I'll read Charming the Highlander (Highlander, #1) by Janet Chapman

message 14: by Katharina (new)

Katharina | 802 comments Finished Charming the Highlander (Highlander, #1) by Janet Chapman and loved it. So for now I'm an A. I've already started reading the next book in the series.

message 15: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20348 comments I finished Spellbound Falls this weekend. I liked, but I think my opinion suffered because of the narrator. Nothing terrible, but not good for me either. I would say now I'm more a high B than a low A. I would' mind reading her again, but I'm not in a hurry.

message 16: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7147 comments I finished Spellbound Falls a week or so ago, and I enjoyed it but it wasn't anything spectacular. Like Kat, I listened to the audio version but didn't seem to have the issues she had with it - for me the audio was totally unremarkable. I would have no preference whether I listened to or read future books in the series based solely on the narration...which for me means I'll probably listen in the future! =P I do intend to continue the series and even have it on my next M&G options shelf, but I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't get picked.

I started out as a low A/high B, and now I'd say I'm more a solid B.

message 17: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments I read Spellbound Falls (Spellbound Falls #1) by Janet Chapman which I enjoyed though it wasn't fabulous. I thought it was rather sweet. I also read The Heart of a Hero (Spellbound Falls, #4) by Janet Chapman and liked it. I started as a B, and I remain a B.

message 18: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1646 comments Well I finished my choice. I think I'd say I'm a low A after finishing this book. I really enjoyed the book, but it felt just a little short of perfect. :) Charming the Highlander ★★★★½

message 19: by Zorina (new)

Zorina | 236 comments I started as a C, I read Charming the Highlander and I enjoyed it but I'm only a high B. I might pick the next in the series but I'm not running to the library.

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) | 929 comments I finished Dragon Warrior and I wasn't all that impressed with this book. I remember liking the first one better. his book had it's moments but there just wasn't a lot of plot. I liked Maddy and William and there were some humorous moments as well but it was just an alright read for me. It was a little bit hokey as well.

message 21: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments I decided to do a reread of Charming the Highlander and got so drawn into the series again that I had to read Morgan's story in Loving the Highlander, then went on to Michael's story in Wedding the Highlander, and of course had to read Robbie's story Tempting the Highlander

I started as an A and remain an A for the Highlander series

message 22: by cherryjellybeans (new)

cherryjellybeans (cherryandjellybeans) | 181 comments I completed The Man Must Marry on the 2nd of August.

I was a C but after reading I'm an A and would like to continue reading the rest of the Sinclair Brothers series when I get a chance to.

message 23: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2052 comments I finished reading Charming the Highlander (Highlander, #1) by Janet Chapman and liked it a lot! I started out a C and ended up an A. I'll definitely look into her books in the future!