Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Petitions

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sascha (new)

Sascha | 391 comments I have learned that there has been already a thread for petitions but it seems to have disappeared. So I’m starting a new thread. You can post your petitions here.

In Austria, four journalists who suffer under hate speech have decided to tell their story to the public. The four women talk about the threats and insults they receive every day. They have decided not to be silent any longer and to speak out.

There is a petition in support of the four brave women which has already been signed by more than 11.000 people. People are calling it a solidaritystorm.

Here’s the petition “We stand behind you”
https://actions.aufstehn.at/solidarit...

Here are the statements of the four journalists that sparked the solidaritystorm
https://cms.falter.at/falter/2016/06/...

It would be fine if you could find the time and sign the petition (its’ in German).

I have translated the petition into English:

Corinna Milborn (Puls 4), Ingrid Thurnher (ORF), Hanna Herbst (Vice) and Barbara Kaufmann (freelance journalist) have enough. They speak openly about the hate messages, threats and sexualised violence which they have to endure when they speak their mind in the public.

They address what journalists, activists, managers, politicians and other women experience on a daily basis. Whoever stands up as a woman almost has to expect to be attacked. Many women don’t like to talk about the issue of being threatened. They want to remain brave and don’t want to appear vulnerable. They don’t want to be told that they better not talk too big if they can’t bear to be insulted.

The more courage is needed to stand up and tell the public “Enough already”. Let’s back up the people affected together. Regardless if you are affected yourself or not, regardless if you are female or male – let’s show who we are: a society proud of these courageous women and a society not tolerating sexualised violence!

Join our declaration of solidarity now!

message 2: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Hello, Sascha! Hmmm, I wonder if we did indeed have a thread for petitions? I seem to remember it used to be more like people creating random threads for separate causes, back in the beginning. Anyway, I've done a quick search and it didn't came up with any duplicate, so good thing you've created this thread.

Oh, and I added my name to the petition. I had some fun trying to make my way through the German website, haha, but donezo!! :)

message 3: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Kimball (gaylekimball) Action Items for 100,000 feminists
This is the thread for petitions and such, still alive.

message 4: by MeerderWörter (last edited Nov 26, 2016 10:18AM) (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments I also signed right now - I'm sad that I didn't see it earlier.

@Ana: I was exactly thinking of this: How will a non-German-speaking person be able to make their way through it? But it seems to be possible...
Not that I say that you're stupid or something, but I was thinking of the scenario were it Spanish, I'd have had my troubles with it.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments Signed

message 6: by Adam (new)

Adam Sowa | 227 comments Questions that I always have (and always ask, when this comes up): Do petitions actually work?
Evidence of their efficacy?

Where to find any of the above?

message 7: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments If enough people sign it, it will work. Austria is quite strict to this.

For example: A nuclear power plant was avoided because of petition, where 50,5 per cent were against it. And now we don't have a running nuclear power plant, I'm quite glad about it!

message 8: by Laure (last edited Dec 05, 2016 05:32AM) (new)

Laure | 390 comments Adam wrote: "Questions that I always have (and always ask, when this comes up): Do petitions actually work?

Where to find any of the above?"

Online platforms that organize petitions are usually quite proud of the achievements. I regularly get updates from Change.org when a petition I signed was successful. Same with Avaaz.org (Tim, you should definitely check this website/community).

As MeerderWörter said, some countries take petitions very seriously!

message 9: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Laure wrote: "Adam wrote: "Questions that I always have (and always ask, when this comes up): Do petitions actually work?

Where to find any of the above?"

Online platforms that orga..."

Avaaz is great, change.org too.
Another example (more nowadays): The first time I was eligible to vote, two years ago, it was about whether keep everything the same regarding army and compulsory community service or to find new solutions. It was only a public opinion poll conducted by the government, and they were not bound to realise the outcome, but they promised to do so and did.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.