Reading the Detectives discussion

Group Challenges > 2017 Challenge - Miss Marple!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 276 (276 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8596 comments Mod
It's very early days as we're only halfway through our current Sayers challenge, but Susan and I have been chatting about possibly doing an Agatha Christie-themed challenge next year, as she is such a popular Golden Age author.

One possible idea is to read through all the Miss Marple books, as we have been doing with Wimsey. There are 12 novels about Miss Marple, plus various short stories, so it should fit well into a year.

Does anyone fancy taking part? This is only a tentative suggestion at the moment, just to get an idea of the level of interest.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) I would be up for it!

message 3: by Judy (last edited Jun 19, 2016 10:36AM) (new)

Thanks, Hilary. Of course, people could join in on as few or as many as they wanted, as with our current challenge.

message 4: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1310 comments Sounds good.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 593 comments Yes I would like that.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1947 comments Sounds really good to me

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 104 comments Sounds great

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2628 comments Mod
I like it!

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 1150 comments Love it- I've read most of them but not chronologically. This will be fun. Count me in!

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9620 comments Mod
Good to see such a positive response. Miss Marple's books seem to fit a 12 month challenge pretty neatly too!

message 11: by HJ (new)

HJ | 207 comments I think that's an excellent idea.

message 12: by Mark Pghfan (new)

Mark Pghfan | 362 comments It fits nicely. A great idea!

message 13: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 312 comments Yes I'd love a Miss Marple read.

message 14: by Judy (last edited Jun 20, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Thanks, everyone, it's great to see such a lot of initial interest! We will tell you more later. :)

message 15: by Daniele (new)

Daniele | 38 comments I would love a Miss Marple read. She tends to take a back seat to M Poirot. She deserves to take the wheel!

message 16: by Susan (new)

I love Poirot, but I do agree that Miss Marple does deserve to take centre stage, Daniele :)

message 17: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments Judy wrote: One possible idea is to read through all the Miss Marple books, as we have been doing with Wimsey. There are 12 novels about Miss Marple, plus various short stories, so it should fit well into a year..."

I love Miss Marple (and actively dislike Poirot!), but are the books all in print and available? I haven't checked, but we should make sure they are before settling on it, shouldn't we?

message 18: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 1150 comments Everyman wrote: "Judy wrote: One possible idea is to read through all the Miss Marple books, as we have been doing with Wimsey. There are 12 novels about Miss Marple, plus various short stories, so it should fit we..."

Yes- Harper Collins brings out all her titles.

message 19: by Susan (new)

I think Judy has checked, Everyman, but I would imagine that Agatha Christie will be easy to find worldwide, which is one reason why we decided on her. Any twelve month group challenge will need to be pretty well known to allow as many people who want to join in to actually do so.

message 20: by Judy (last edited Jun 22, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Yes, I checked and the books are all in print in both the UK and the US, and hopefully should be easy to find all round the world because Christie is so popular. There are also a lot of second-hand paperbacks and audio books.

This reminds me, the Miss Marple books are all on Kindle in the UK, but I'm not sure if that's the case in the US, as it is hard to check from another country - can someone in the US let us know? If not, it may hopefully be a temporary blip while new editions come out, as I can see they are all available on Nook.

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Johnson (jrjohnson1408) All the Miss Marple books are available on Kindle in the US. Most of them are priced $7.99.

message 22: by Judy (new)

Many thanks for checking, Jackie, that's good to know.

message 23: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joannegw) | 28 comments Great idea! I'm looking forward to reading the Miss Marples during 2017.

message 24: by Roisin (new)

Roisin | 134 comments ...and £3.99 on iBooks. : )

message 25: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1310 comments Jackie Renee wrote: "All the Miss Marple books are available on Kindle in the US. Most of them are priced $7.99."

I have picked up a number of her books when they have become available on the kindle daily deals - $1.99-2.99.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Good to have such a favourable response. Christie is my favourite author ever, so I am really looking forward to this. However, it is also great to finally get around to reading all of the Lord Peter Wimsey books and so I am looking forward to the rest of the years reading too :)

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen Plummer Absolutely in favor of Miss Marple for 2017! I can always reread this series. Have them all in hardback and on my Kindle.

message 28: by Susan (new)

Good news, Karen. Looking forward to it already!

message 29: by Helen (new)

Helen (read247_instyle_inca) (read247_instyle_inca) | 10 comments Very excited for this! I recently started reading them in order but stopped to catch up on Lord Peter.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Good to hear, Helen.

message 31: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Wonderful! I love Miss Marple and this will also be an excellent excuse for re-watching all of the BBC series (with Joan Hickson, of course, the best Miss Marple ever ;) ). I am thoroughly enjoying re-reading all of the Peter Wimsey books, too.

So glad I found this group!

message 32: by Susan (new)

That's great to hear, Phyllis - we're glad you found us too :) I liked Joan Hickson as Miss Marple as well.

message 33: by Judy (new)

Helen and Phyllis, great that you are looking forward to this! I haven't read many Miss Marples, so am really looking forward to getting into them and also comparing the different TV and movie versions. I also like Joan Hickson.

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Williams (carsinger) | 2 comments I will join this challenge!

message 35: by Susan (new)

Good to hear, Elissa. Welcome aboard!

message 36: by Judy (new)

Given the great response, Susan and I have been discussing this further and we are going to go ahead with a Miss Marple challenge next year.

As there are 12 novels, the plan is to read one a month. We may possibly add short stories as an extra if there is enough interest.

People will be able to sign up in the New Year - seems ages away, but amazingly there's only just over 4 months to go!

Here is a list of the novels, with the month - Susan kindly found the titles and publication dates:

January: The Murder at the Vicarage (1930)

February: The Body in the Library (1942)

March: The Moving Finger (1943)

April: A Murder is Announced (1950)

May: They Do It with Mirrors, or Murder with Mirrors (1952)

June: A Pocket Full of Rye (1953)

July: 4.50 from Paddington, or What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! (1957)

August: The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side, or The Mirror Crack'd (1962)

September: A Caribbean Mystery (1964)

October: At Bertram's Hotel (1965)

November: Nemesis (1971)

December: Sleeping Murder (written around 1940, published 1976)

message 37: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 1150 comments Count me in! I don't have four of these but that can be easily taken care of :)

message 38: by Susan (new)

Good to hear, Lady Clementina.

As there are, exactly, twelve novels, it made sense to go with these. However, as Judy says, if there is any interest in the short stories, then we will try to work out how best to include them. Let us know whether you want to read the short stories as well, or whether you would be happy to concentrate on the novels.

message 39: by Damaskcat (last edited Aug 22, 2016 12:32AM) (new)

Damaskcat | 186 comments Judy wrote: "It's very early days as we're only halfway through our current Sayers challenge, but Susan and I have been chatting about possibly doing an Agatha Christie-themed challenge next year, as she is suc..."

Sounds like a good idea :-)

message 40: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1947 comments Putting the extra short stories book in this year has worked, so I can't see doing it again should be a problem.

message 41: by Susan (last edited Aug 22, 2016 04:34AM) (new)

There is The Thirteen Problems and Miss Marple's Final Cases or a collection Miss Marple and Mystery: Over 50 Stories, which is a complete collection of short stories. We can either insert the two collections - The Thirteen Problems is the second Miss Marple Book, so it would need to be an extra book in Jan/Feb and the last collection of stories, Miss Marple's Final Cases, would be an extra in December, or read the complete collection; taking a number of stories each month.

If anyone knows of any other short stories outside of those two collections, please let me know. Also, state your preference for the two 'extra' books, or having extra stories each month.

message 42: by Judy (new)

Susan, thanks very much for the suggestions for reading the short stories. Either way would be fine by me, if we do go ahead and add in the stories.

Do you know if there are any extra stories in Miss Marple and Mystery which aren't in the two books you mentioned?

message 43: by Susan (new)

I need to do a bit more research, Judy. One of the reasons why I thought it might be worth adding the two extra books of short stories is that one is a book of linked stories - the Thirteen Problems. There might be a few more, so we could have the collection of short stories and do so many a month. I will have a think about it and welcome suggestions!

message 44: by Judy (new)

Thanks, Susan, sounds as if it could work very well either way. The book of linked stories sounds quite intriguing - a bit like the Christmas story collections Dickens used to edit where a group of characters each told a tale, though in those different writers contributed.

message 45: by Susan (new)

Yes, that is why I am thinking of doing that as an extra book - it's the second book so - as February is such a short month - I will have to think about where to slot it in.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Susan wrote: "Yes, that is why I am thinking of doing that as an extra book - it's the second book so - as February is such a short month - I will have to think about where to slot it in."

Do it the last week and start March a week late?

message 47: by Susan (new)

Technically, in terms of being published, that collection is Book 2. January is quite long, so I could do it the end of Jan and then start Book 3 a week into February. I'll make it work somehow!

message 48: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) | 3 comments I only just joined this group, but I am so in! I love Poirot, and have never read any of the Miss Marple books. (I'm sorry I found this group so late in the year, too. I was just thinking I ought to start reading the Lord Peter Wimsey books.)

For those who were wondering about getting the books, my local library has all but one available through Overdrive. The one that isn't on Overdrive is available on Hoopla (along with 9 more). If anyone here hasn't checked to see if your library lends ebooks and digital audiobooks, you should! It's life-changing. ;)

message 49: by Susan (new)

Welcome, Michelle. Glad you could join us. I love Poirot too :)

message 50: by Judy (new)

Welcome, Michelle, great that you've found us and are planning to join in on Miss Marple!

The threads for the Wimsey books will also stay open, so if you do read any of those you are very welcome to post your thoughts.

I've also been finding Overdrive very useful - looks as if my library has all or most of the Miss Marple books on eBook, as well as in print.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6