You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > July 2016 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Jun 25, 2016 11:19AM) (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments The theme for the July group reads is “Books about books".

It's now time to nominate books. So if you have a book suggestion that is about books in some way, go ahead and nominate it.

Alternatively, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.

- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print or 2) available as a reasonably-priced e-book (under $12) or 3) published no less than 3 months ago.

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close 24th June

Nominations so far:
The Thirteenth Tale - Peggy
The Invisible Library - Kristie, Colleen
Parnassus on Wheels - Lanelle
Fahrenheit 451 - Sarah (me)
The Library at Mount Char - Janice
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler - Cherie
The Shadow of the Wind - Joan, TrudyAn
Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops - Lynn
Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader - Lara

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14866 comments Can I nominate a book even though I know I won't be able to lead the discussion if it gets selected? I'm on holiday until July 19 and I will be able to read books, but I don't plan to be online much, if at all.

If I can, I would like to nominate The Thirteenth Tale

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13236 comments I can't link at the moment, because I'm on the app, but I'd like to nominate The Invisible Library. :)

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Peggy wrote: "Can I nominate a book even though I know I won't be able to lead the discussion if it gets selected? I'm on holiday until July 19 and I will be able to read books, but I don't plan to be online muc..."

That's fine Peggy. If someone seconds your nomination, they may be able to lead the discussion if it wins, whether by themself or in conjunction with you or another person.

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Kristie wrote: "I can't link at the moment, because I'm on the app, but I'd like to nominate The Invisible Library. :)"

The Invisible Library - this one?

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13236 comments That's the one. Thanks, Sarah. :)

message 7: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3082 comments I would like to nominate Christopher Morley's Parnassus on Wheels. It is public domain, so everyone should be able get it for free.

I really like this review here on Goodreads:
What a fun, light-hearted read for anyone with a book loving heart. A love story, an adventure story, a comedy, and an homage to books and authors, all rolled up into one fantastic tale. Just wonderful!

message 8: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments Point of information about The Invisible Library: the link in message five is to the British Edition, which has been out over a year. I have linked to the American edition, which just came out in the last week. So you may see the book with either a green cover or a blue cover.

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 54 comments I'll second The Invisible Library

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments I've not nominated a book in ages. I'd like to nominate Fahrenheit 451. I've wanted to read this for a very long time. I keep putting it off even though I know I'm bound to like it. I guess it's my aversion to classics. So reading it with other people would be a real motivator for me.

message 11: by Joan (new)

Joan I nominate The Shadow of the Wind I think the group enjoyed Marina by the same author. This book is described as "an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love."

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47979 comments I had slotted The Library at Mount Char in for my Geocache task for books about books, but I'm not 100% sure it's about books or not. In part, the book blurb reads, "They've studied the books in his Library and learned some of the secrets of his power. " But that may be it about books.

Has anyone read it and can shed some light on it? I may consider nominating it.

message 13: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Janice, it sure looks like it qualifies. "A library with the secrets to the universe." And more about this library in the description. I added it to my TBR. ANOTHER one!

message 14: by Cherie (last edited Jun 21, 2016 03:59PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19794 comments Janice wrote: "The Library at Mount Char . Has anyone read it and can shed some light on it? I may consider nominating it..."

Hahaha, I was waiting for you to read it and tell me, Janice. I saw that you had it in your Geo challenge and added it as a 2nd choice. I have had it on my Nook - from some sale, but never had a chance to read it.

message 15: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19794 comments This is the one I really want to read...If on a Winter's Night a Traveler, so I guess I will throw it out here.

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47979 comments Okay, I will nominate The Library at Mount Char. I think it will generate some great discussion.

message 17: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments Cherie wrote: "Janice wrote: "The Library at Mount Char . Has anyone read it and can shed some light on it? I may consider nominating it..."

Hahaha, I was waiting for you to read it and tell me, ..."

This book has been selected by four of my groups. I think something is telling me I must read it

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments I want to read that one too Janice.

message 19: by Lynn (last edited Jun 22, 2016 06:38AM) (new)

Lynn | 2593 comments I want to read something that will make me laugh, so I'd like to nominate Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9299 comments I had that one in my TBR, Lynn. It sounds hilarious.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have read Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops. It is really funny. You won't believe some of the things customers come out with!

message 22: by Debra (last edited Jun 22, 2016 08:21AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Lisa wrote: "I have read Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops. It is really funny. You won't believe some of the things customers come out with!"

Added another one! Weird thing is my library says the book is called Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores... not Bookshops. Aside from that difference, the cover is exactly the same as here on GR.

message 23: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14866 comments Maybe a US vs UK edition? Is the word store more common to use in the US and shop in the UK?

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13236 comments Looks like you're right, Peggy. The editions says Bookshop for the British edition and Bookstore for the IS & Canadian version. Store is a much more common word here than shop.

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47979 comments Peggy wrote: "Maybe a US vs UK edition? Is the word store more common to use in the US and shop in the UK?"

In Canada, we say Bookstore instead of Bookshop.

We shop in stores. A shop might be more pertinent to a garage where repairs are done. My father ran a service station, bulk gas sales and garage for most of my life. We'd say, "Dad's at the shop."

message 26: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1640 comments I'll second The Shadow of the Wind.

message 27: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments I nominate Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader. It's short and a delightful set of essays about the love of books and reading.

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Nominations are now closed.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.