Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2017] 2nd Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 19, 2016 05:21AM) (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Our second mini-poll has come to an end!

The winners are:
- A book from the Goodreads "Top 100 YA Books"
- A book from a category for another challenge
- A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading
- A book with an animal on the cover or in the title

The least popular themes were:
- A book by a "local" author (resides at least part time in your city/state/region)
- A book chosen for you by another member of the group
- A collection of essays

Suggestions for the 3rd mini-poll will open on Wednesday, June 22 at 10:00PM EST so be ready!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2704 comments Meh, it's definitely a do-able set of winners, but only one of my votes made it in.

The category from another challenge one is interesting. I personally didn't vote for it because I know a lot of people do multiple challenges anyway, so I thought they would be doing those categories regardless. I'm probably going to take it as part of the "rejects" challenge, and use it as my way of slipping in a category that didn't make it that I really wanted.

The animal one surprises me a bit too. I honestly don't even remember that being on the list, but it could be a good one. I can't think of too many books off the top of my head that have animals on the cover, aside from children's books.

The Top YA Books list was one of my votes, so I'm glad that one made it. There's lots of options there.

Even though a collection of essays was my nomination, I don't mind that it was in the bottom. I knew it wouldn't be too popular, but I figured I'd see if it caught anyone's interest.

Out of curiosity, how did the Epistolary fiction category do?

message 3: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I actually voted for the collection of essays but I have a feeling it's one of the prompts that people dislike on face value unless they have a specific book in mind or read them frequently.

There were two prompts that were very polarizing, with a lot of members who liked them but an equal number who put them in their bottom 4. Those two were "epistolary fiction" and "a comic/graphic novel".

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments Aww I was one of those who really liked the comic/graphic novel category

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Oh, darn, missed the vote!

message 6: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 106 comments I'm not going to lie i'm saddened that the Epistolary Fiction category didn't make it especially considering the wide range of books from modern YA to Classics that it would cover.

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) There was a period where most fiction was written in the style of letters and diary entries, Frankenstein, Dracula, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, are 3 I can think of. If I hadn't missed the vote, Clare, I'm sure I would've voted for that one.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2296 comments I voted for both Epistolary Fiction and Comic/Graphic novels. But I knew some people would hate both categories like the vote shows. The winners look good, though.

message 9: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Cool! Three of my choices are in the Top Four :-)

message 10: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments Yea...I'm ok with these ones...but they aren't my favourite. I voted for the book you've owned for a while, but the others are all just middling to me.

The animal one won't be difficult as there are a wide variety of books about animals or with an animal on the front cover.

The "topic from another challenge" is essentially a reader's choice. Everyone can go find a topic to their own liking from basically anywhere. That's fine as an option, I just hope we don't also get a "reader's choice" or another free topic. I like the topics to be a little bit of a challenge. Essentially, I'm just going to sub in a topic I like that doesn't make it into our list.

The YA is ok. I figured there would be at least one YA specific topic in our list but I would have preferred a more open YA topic or one that was specific to a them and not a list. I have an issue with the Goodreads lists in general because anyone can add books whether or not they adhere to the list requirements. I find almost every list on goodreads boils down to a whole lot of cheesy romance novels which I have absolutely no interest in. there are a couple in there that are on my TBR list though.

message 11: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I voted for book you've owned for a while but I didn't vote for the others. None of them were in my bottom picks though, and I'm sure I'll be able to find things for all of them. I actually kind of guessed that the YA list topic would probably make it as I know it's a very popular genre.

I actually voted for the collection of essays, the epistolary fiction, and the comic/graphic novel topics so I clearly have unpopular tastes! Haha! I wanted the graphic novel one for myself as I like graphic novels and it makes it slightly easier for me to slip one into my challenge but I also liked the other two because I felt like they added to the challenge a bit more. Plus there are quite a few books that are a collection of essays which I've been meaning to read for ages and hadn't got around to so it would be useful for that. Epistolary fiction I just thought was a great prompt because there are so many different types of books from all different genres that are written in the form of diary entries/letters/etc. So although it's a specific thing it's still a very open topic for all different things.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2704 comments I'm also surprised epistolary fiction was so low. I was actually going to nominate it myself but I didn't know what it was called, so I was happy to see that someone else had got there first and submitted it. I also thought there were tons of options, especially with so many books now written in Facebook posts, Tweets, e-mails, etc. Oh well, if it doesn't make it in, I'll probably treat it as my "book from another challenge" since it would be from the rejects challenge. Actually, I'm very tempted so far to do the rejects list, but it's so hard to organize it into a manageable challenge.

I did have a couple of books in mind when I suggested the collection of essays, like The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived or The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh! of Homer. I figured there was enough variety that everyone could find something, since essays can be on virtually any topic.

message 13: by J (new)

J Austill | 673 comments I don't think I voted for any of those.

Does anybody have a link to the rules of the 'Rejects Challenge', I've seen it mentioned a lot but I don't think I actually get how it works.

message 14: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I'm not surprised to see the YA suggestion in the winners and the essay/epistolary not in it, essentially because most of the members read YA half the year and not more challenging genres. I hope we'll have at least one in the final list, I'd be happy to skip the memoir and read poetry or essays for a change :)

I'm fine with the winners, I voted only for one but the others were in my "ok list". The animal on the cover will probably be very easy between the children books and the thousand books with dragons I've on my TBR.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2704 comments J wrote: "I don't think I voted for any of those.

Does anybody have a link to the rules of the 'Rejects Challenge', I've seen it mentioned a lot but I don't think I actually get how it works."

As far as I know, there aren't really any rules. It's just some people decided to take on the full list of suggestions, and read the 200 or so that we come up with through all the polls.

message 16: by J (last edited Jun 19, 2016 02:31PM) (new)

J Austill | 673 comments - A book from the Goodreads "Top 100 YA Books"

This was a good option. I didn't vote for it just because there were so many even better ones. I've only read 2/100 of the books on that list -> so the options are wide open. Might have to do a little research since I've heard of very few of those.

- A book from a category for another challenge

I voted against this one; seems like a cop out. I don't think it will be of any real difficulty to fill, though. So no real issue with it winning.

- A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading

This sure is an interesting one. I do have a lot of books that I've never read. I'll likely favor a physical book and one that I've had for more than a decade. Those really should get read.

- A book with an animal on the cover or in the title

For the most part, I don't like cover based topics. But I think this one is just about right in being specific enough that we have to look for a choice but not so specific that it could be hard finding a book.

Other cover based topics like 'a cover that is blue' or 'a cover that is read' seem too easy to me, as I could simply pick a book that I want to read, then go to the 'alternate editions' page and pick one that is the right color to fit the topic.

message 17: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Kathy wrote: "I voted for both Epistolary Fiction and Comic/Graphic novels. But I knew some people would hate both categories like the vote shows. The winners look good, though."

I did too!

Three of the four top choices were in my bottom four. I'm really feeling like an odd ball in this group. haha

message 18: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Rachel wrote: "J wrote: "I don't think I voted for any of those.

Does anybody have a link to the rules of the 'Rejects Challenge', I've seen it mentioned a lot but I don't think I actually get how it works."

As..."

Do you mean for this year, or the growing list for next year?

message 19: by Bec (new)

Bec | 782 comments These topics are do-able. I think I voted for top 100 YA and a book you've owned a while (I have purchased so many kindle books that I don't get around to reading so thought it would be a good chance to get through one). This category seems a bit like free choice to me though (give I have thousands of books on my kindle).

I actually have no idea what epistolary fiction is!

message 20: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2976 comments I also voted for epistolary fiction. I thought it would be fun to hunt down a book that would fit the category. I don't think I voted for any of the top 4.

- A book from the Goodreads "Top 100 YA Books" - This one doesn't bother me. I like YA but someone mentioned that anyone can add any book to the list so it's really open to any YA book.

- A book from a category for another challenge - Don't like this one at all. I can pick any book I own and find a challenge prompt that it will fit. It's the same as a Wild Card for me.

- A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading - again, no challenge, I would read all the books I own eventually anyway.

- A book with an animal on the cover or in the title - I have many many books on my bookshelf that have animals so that isn't a challenge for me.

So far we don't have any prompts that encourage me to go out and find new books or authors that I wouldn't have already known about or read. This year and last I had to do some serious searching to fill several of the categories. Hopefully there will be some more challenging things in future polls. Please people nominate and vote for categories that will challenge us all a little! If we pick all easily filled categories it won't be any fun at all. :-(

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Amy, I'm with you about the prompts being so so open so far. But then I have to remind myself that we're only 8 prompts in and we still have so many left. The 2015 list has been so good that I'm pretty confident we'll end up with a good mix.

I'm disappointed that none of the prompts I chose for either poll have made it, but that's why I've decided to make up my own personal challenge with the 52 items I vote for as we're putting together our list. That's going to be my way of approaching the rejects list, since it will probably be too overwhelming to try to get all the categories everyone suggests.

I can't believe epistolary fiction didn't make it! I thought it was such a great suggestion. I didn't realize it was polarizing like that. It's so interesting to see the results from these polls. I'm having such a fun time.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2704 comments I also agree with Amy and Katie. It's shaping up to an interesting list so far, but I don't find it particularly challenging yet. That's one of the reasons I voted for some of my top choices (epistolary fiction, first person perspective), because I thought they'd involve a bit more hunting.

message 23: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I can totally see the concern with the challenge being a little too easy. But I do think that it will grow more challenging as the polls progress and suggestions are forced to be more specific.

Just about any prompt can be made as challenging as the person wants. For instance, if you're attempting to read a genre you don't usually read then just pick a book of that genre with an animal on the cover. Also, although anyone can contribute to the YA list, I believe it is still ranked, with the books with the most votes appearing at top. So sticking to the challenge prompt would mean choosing one of the first 100.

Katie, I really like the idea of just doing the ones I voted for. Last year, I added all of the rejects and I think if I add another whole list then I'm getting a little out of control :P

message 24: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments The chosen YA list is a "frozen" one, so it's impossible for people to add new books, they can only just vote for the existing ones. I read 25 of them for the moment and some others are on my TBR.

I agree with Laura, it's easy to fill categories with whatever book you have on your TBR (it's one of the reasons several people decided to do this challenge rather than the Popsugar one which had too much difficult-annoying categories this year). As for the previous years, we'll search links with suggestions so people who want to discover new books will have the possibility to add something they didn't hear about before.

For the 1st poll, the bottom 4 were mostly the ones I voted against. It's not the case for the 2nd, so it seems people were more divided between the suggestions. It's always difficult to decide between something challenging and something you're really interested in. The poll probably had too much appealing categories, normally it'll balance later because we want variety.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) I'm pretty happy with the winners. I voted for 2 of them, and bonus(for me anyways), the ones I didn't want didn't make the cut this time.

message 26: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments Laura wrote: "Just about any prompt can be made as challenging as the person wants."

I completely agree! If people want to fill the challenge prompts just with books that are already on their TBR - great. If people want to use the challenge to seek out new authors or genres - great. If the challenges feel too broad, you can always add extra layers of difficulty.

message 27: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments True! One of the ways I've already decided to make a prompt more challenging is the one about choosing a book from someone else's bookshelf. I'm going to use an actual bookshelf, not an electronic one. That should narrow down my options. I'm excited about that interpretation of the prompt. I might try to think of other "rules" for myself like that. If anyone has any ideas based on the prompts we have so far, I'd love to hear them.

message 28: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments I think I might try to fill some of the broader categories with non-fiction books that I have on my shelf at home. And possibly try as much with the challenge in general to use books on my shelf (fiction or non-fiction). I have so many unread books and I really need to make a dent in them

message 29: by Peter (last edited Jun 20, 2016 07:06PM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments Zaz wrote: "The chosen YA list is a "frozen" one, so it's impossible for people to add new books, they can only just vote for the existing ones. I read 25 of them for the moment and some others are on my TBR.
..."

I realize this is a static list, but under whose authority are these books deemed YA? Who gets to make that decision?

Most of the lists on Goodreads aren't static though, and anyone can add any book they want whether or not it adheres to the list's guidelines or not. For example, two of the top "Best Books" lists on Goodreads have The Hunger Games and Harry Potter as the best books ever written. While I don't deny their entertainment value, they are in no way even close to the best book ever written. Even this year's list of books about anti-heroes mostly included books with villains as protagonists, which is completely different from an anti-hero.

My issue with the lists on Goodreads is that the decision as to what books are on the lists are either arbitrarily decided by a single person based on their opinion, or by additions and votes by any member. There is no kind of credibility to the lists other than it's someone's opinion.

The fact that "Twilight" is even on the list of "Best Books of the 21st Century" completely robs the list of any credibility. If we have to pick a book from a list, I would prefer it to be a list that is less arbitrary. The Rory Gilmour list has a definitive set of books, or a list generated by a book critic or an author, or even the Goodreads Reader's Choice would be preferable.

That said, I'll make it work. There are a few books on that list on my TBR so I'll choose one of them for this topic.

message 30: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments The YA category is usually decided by editors as you have to put the books somewhere in the store and shelves are separated by age.

As stated in the GR blog post which is at the origin of this list, they picked popular YA books with a 4 stars average rating at least. It's probably not the most amazing list for someone who doesn't enjoy YA, but for YA readers the selection is good with a variety of "just entertaining" books (Divergent, HP, City of Bones) and more serious toned ones (Diary of Young Girl, The Fault in Our stars, The book thief). Some of them in my opinion shouldn't be rated over 3 stars, but maybe I would have appreciated more if I was 14yo, plenty of others were full 5 stars for me.

message 31: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I can understand how they have to be shelved somewhere in a bookstore. However, for the purposes of this challenge, surely it would be up to each of us if a book is YA?

message 32: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Kirsten, usually when a list is provided for a category, we choose a book from this list ;)

message 33: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Oh, sorry, Zaz. I tried scrolling up but I guess I didn't go far enough to see the referenced list.

message 34: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments Peter wrote: "The fact that "Twilight" is even on the list of "Best Books of the 21st Century" completely robs the list of any credibility."

The fact that "Twilight" is even considered a book concerns me.

message 35: by Peter (last edited Jun 21, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments Jody wrote: "Peter wrote: "The fact that "Twilight" is even on the list of "Best Books of the 21st Century" completely robs the list of any credibility."

The fact that "Twilight" is even considered a book conc..."

Lol, very true!

Zaz, I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I'll find a book I'm interested from that list. I'm not denying the entertainment value of the books on the list, or even the fact that some of them are good books. All I was trying to say is that there is no credibility behind 99% of the lists on Goodreads. It's like if I opened a university and started offering history classes; the classes might be about something people want to learn about, but I have no accreditation and there's no validity to the classes I would be teaching because I have no authority, expertise or experience in that field.

message 36: by Jean (new)

Jean Cole (joc724) | 328 comments Bec wrote: "These topics are do-able. I think I voted for top 100 YA and a book you've owned a while (I have purchased so many kindle books that I don't get around to reading so thought it would be a good chan..."

Epistolary means that the story is told through a series of letters or messages (as in Epistle) between the characters. It's a style I really enjoy.

message 37: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Peter wrote: All I was trying to say is that there is no credibility behind 99% of the lists on Goodreads.

The lists on Goodreads are voted by users - they are popularity contests. They are for fun. Many popular books are also critically acclaimed. Many are not. But that's what makes them a good choice for picking. You can be high brow or low brow, whatever floats your boat!

The critics' lists also have issues - they are often jam-packed with books that are a chore to read. And they also differ greatly from each other, depending on who is deciding. You get the same issues, just the other end...

message 38: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments When will the poll open?

message 39: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments Wednesday, June 22 at 10:00PM EST

message 40: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Hmm. It is Wednesday, June 22 10:55 PM EST.

message 41: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Don't polls start on Saturday?

message 42: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments I think they are varying it up, and I could not make the previous ones - too early for me - and it looks like I will miss this, too, because I will have to go to bed. :(

message 43: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments The suggestion topic is there but it's closed. I thought I might be able to catch this one but maybe not.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.