What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA: man embalms his family sets them up around table

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carmel (new)

Carmel | 3 comments It's a children's/ YA novel about a man or boy who is possibly an embalmer. There is a cemetery talked about and there is thistle or stinging nettle growing or kept by the man. He ends up embalming his family members and setting them up around the kitchen table I believe. I think there was a stone angel on the cover of the book possibly ? Please help. I have no idea what the title or the author of the book might be.

message 2: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Devine | 156 comments Wow - that's a children's/YA? That would freak me out even now! But it does sound a little familiar - how long ago did you read it?

message 3: by Carmel (new)

Carmel | 3 comments Deanne wrote: "Wow - that's a children's/YA? That would freak me out even now! But it does sound a little familiar - how long ago did you read it?"

Maybe 14 years ago

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4885 comments What country were you in when you read this book? Language?
Time period/location story takes place?

Was this more of a horror book, fantasy, scifi, etc?
Who else was in the family? A mother, siblings, cousins, pets?

message 5: by Holly (new)

message 6: by Carmel (new)

Carmel | 3 comments I don't think it's anything on the list. I guess you would call it more of a horror book than anything else. The book is in English, read in Australia. I'm sure the sister was embalmed and maybe one or both parents. Not sure of time period or location unfortunately.

message 7: by Krista (new)

Krista | 148 comments Something similar happens in A Prayer for the Dying (man embalms his wife and baby daughter), but it's definitely not YA.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37804 comments Mod
Carmel, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1476 comments Probably The Smiling People by Ray Bradbury.

message 10: by Florence (new)

Florence | 397 comments It sounds very like one of the stories in https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... ten sorry tales, could it be that?

message 11: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4989 comments There was a Night Gallery episode like this.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1476 comments Still looking for this?