Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2016 Challenge Archive > 2016 July Pick-It-for-Me Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 190 (190 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments July 2016 Pick-It-For-Me Challenge

What is the Pick-It-For-Me Challenge?
The Pick-It-For-Me (PIFM) Challenge is a reading challenge where each participant gives and receives book recommendations based on a given a set of rules. The assignment method and book selection rules change each month so it’s always new and always different.

The idea of the PIFM challenge is that you will get new-to-you books and authors selected for you, as well as a push to read some books that have been lingering on your shelves. You may not be interested in the new books recommended, which is why you also get a minimum of four books from your shelf.

You only have to read ONE book to complete this challenge!

After signups are closed, your names and any extra info will go into the super secret PIFM randomizer and it will select someone for you to recommend books to and someone to give you recommendations. This list will be posted along with any specific picking rules for the month.

In order to participate you need to either HAVE YOUR PROFILE SET TO PUBLIC (preferable), or FRIEND the person giving you recommendations. PLEASE NOTE: if you choose to keep your profile private, it is your responsibility to send a friend request to the person picking for you as soon as possible after the matchups are posted. Whether your profile is private or not, it is also very important that your profile be set to receive Private Messages (PMs) in case anyone needs to reach out to you (mods, organizer etc.)

Everything gets done in this thread so be sure to come back often!!!

Repicks
You may ask for repicks if:
☀ The book(s) picked for you are not yet released.
☀ You have already read chosen book(s) and they are on your ‘read’ shelf.
☀ You did not receive four picks from your ‘to-read’ shelf, with at least one from your preferred shelf.

You may NOT ask for repicks because the book is:
☀ Not available at your library.
☀ From a genre or author you don’t enjoy.

INFORMATION NEEDED TO SIGN UP
Please sign up in this thread with the answer to the following question:

What is your favorite summer activity?
Swimming
Sitting outside to read a book
Catching all the latest movies

☀☀If you have a preferred shelf, please list it along with your pick!☀☀

IMPORTANT DATES
Picking — Due by June 27 (7 pm US CST)
Repicks — If necessary, will be assigned and follow the picking deadline

For your convenience — Time Zone Converter

☀Please do not start reading your book(s) until the first of the month. You then have the entire month to read your pick(s) and give some feedback.

☀If you’re new please read the PIFM Guidelines and FAQs. If you have any questions that are not addressed there, please feel free to ask!

☀☀Please note that late sign ups will be included at the host’s discretion and no one will be included after re-picks are assigned!☀☀

message 2: by ☘KathyD☘ (last edited Jun 18, 2016 09:20PM) (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments Tips to Make the Challenge Enjoyable for Everyone!

Pickees
☀ To help your picker understand the type of books you like or are currently reading, please make sure your ‘read’ shelf is up to date. You can create shelves for books you DNFed (did not finish) or authors that don’t work for you, as well as shelves for favorite books and authors. In addition, you might consider updating your profile. You can include information about your favorite books/authors/themes/genres (of themes/books you dislike – i.e., secret baby)

☀ Please do not specify likes/dislikes in the sign-up thread. This information will not be included in the pairing and your picker may not see your message and does not need to rely on the information when choosing for you.

Pickers
☀ Please remember this is primarily a romance readers group. Thus, most, if not all, your picks should fall in the romance category. There are various sub genres within the romance category—Contemporary, Historical, Paranormal, Romantic Suspense, Erotica, M/M, Urban Fantasy, etc. If your pickee reads a wide variety, you could add a non-romance book as a choice.

☀ Choose at least 4 new titles for your pickee. These can be brand new to them (not found on any of their shelves) or a book found on their shelves if they have never read any of the author’s work previously.

Helpful Book Selection Hints
Check the book’s publishing date…Select “date pub” from the checkbox selections and save

Check pickee’s personalized shelves (especially their exclusive shelves)…A personalized shelf is one the member has created (e.g., ‘to read next,’ ‘favorites,’ ‘didn’t like’)

Make sure the books you choose are not on their ‘read’ shelf…Just because it isn’t rated doesn’t mean it wasn’t read

Look at your pickee’s ‘read’ shelf to see what genres/authors they have recently read or read the most…Reviewing their ‘read’ shelf might help you in choosing something they are interested in reading right now

☀ If your pickee reads books in a genre you are not familiar with (e.g., Erotica, YA, GLBT)…Contact the Mod’s or the month’s organizer for guidance

Include a variety of books (e.g., shorter page count, new addition to their ‘to-read’ shelf, older book on their ‘to-read’ shelf)…This variety give your pickee options when choosing the book or books they will be reading this month. Use the sort feature within their shelves to determine date a book was added, published or read; page numbers, ratings, etc.

message 4: by ☘KathyD☘ (last edited Jun 27, 2016 10:57AM) (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments Pairing
Within each group, each person picks for the person below them. The last person in the group picks for the first person. For example, Katherine picks for Cecily.

✔ = picks made

Swimming
Cecilyepl-to-read
Jane (PS)mg16-junjul or picking shelf
MountainKatto-read-asap
Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptressto-read
Daniellepifm
Zorinato-read
Katherineto-read-this-year

Sitting outside to read a book
Shelbycurrent-challenge-to-read
Rebeccato-read
Jodypifm
~KarenH~cant-wait-to-read
Neretato-read
Tina Theresato-read
☘KathyD☘cp-pick-it-for-me
fleurettemeet-n-greet-old or meet-n-greet
Amandato-read
Vandhanato-read
Frana-pifm-shelf
Nicoleto-read
ravenbleuchallenge
Kimberlyto-read
Laceeto-read
LaurLa04-challenges-to-pick
Tink Magoo is bad at reviewsto-read
~Melissa~june-july-mng-picked
Ashleyto-read
Aminkopicking-shelf
Pampick-it-challenge
Nancy Hto-read

Catching all the latest movies
Rachel C.have-and-to-read or have-on-kindle-and-to-read
Emelieto read
ThatEziaudiobooks (unrated books only)
Diane ~Firefly~mng-picking
Suzanneto read

message 5: by ☘KathyD☘ (last edited Jun 23, 2016 08:20PM) (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments Picking Rules for July

Please make sure to pick 4 books new to your pickee, as well as 4 books from your pickee’s designated or ‘to-be-read’ shelf, for a total of 8 books!

July is National Blueberry Month! These berries are a popular fruit commonly found in pies, muffins, and pancakes…but here are some fact you may not know about this healthy, delicious berry…

Native to North America, blueberries were used by Native American tribes for food, medicine, and dye for baskets and cloth
☀ Choose a book set in North America (Canada, US, and/or Mexico)

Blueberries are only blue on the outside; the inside flesh is actually green.
☀ Choose a book with a blue and/or green cover or a book featuring an alien (little “green” men) or shifters character

Summer is peak blueberry season! Typically, the season begins in May and last through early fall.
☀ Choose a book added to your pickee’s to-read (or designated) shelf between May and September or a book set in the summer

Blueberries are also called star berries.
☀ Choose a book with stars on the cover or a book with a character that is a “star” (e.g., actor, rock star, celebrity, or other famous person)

“Perfect” blueberries should be dusty in color.
☀ Choose a book with fog/haze on the cover or a book where things are hidden on the cover or a book tagged romantic mystery/suspense

Often considered the healthiest fruit, blueberries are rich in vitamins C and E, manganese, and fiber, and have phenomenal antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
☀ Choose a book title that begins with the letter “C,” “E,” “M,” or “A”

Since 1995, blueberry consumption (and production) has tripled and the US and Canada produce roughly 200 million pounds of blueberries throughout the year!
☀ Choose a book that is part of a trilogy (three-book series) or a book with 200+ pages

Grown on bushes, blueberries are part of the rhododendron and azalea family
☀ Choose a book with a strong family theme or a book that features main characters that are family members or a book with flower(s) on the cover

message 6: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jun 19, 2016 01:16AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments I'm going to jump in this month Kathy ~ my annual participation ;)

I'm a swimmer.

My preferred shelf:
mg16 junjul - The books which are also on my 'to read' shelf.
Apologies - some already read; and some are rated but are also included on my 'to read' shelf so they are fine to pick.)

If the selection is not enough, my picking shelf would be the next best to get a smaller selection than my To Read shelf!

message 8: by LaurLa (last edited Jun 19, 2016 07:05AM) (new)

LaurLa | 3614 comments I'm in!! And of course my favorite activity is Sitting outside to read a book... preferably by a pool or (better yet) a beach!

Preferred shelf: 04-challenges-to-pick

message 9: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11271 comments I'm in! (Private profile)

I will say.....reading a book

PIFM Shelf

message 10: by Aminko (new)

Aminko | 553 comments I'm in!!!

My favourite summer activity is Sitting outside to read a book

Picking Shelf

message 11: by Rachel C. (last edited Jun 19, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Rachel C. (rachelus) | 580 comments I'm in! This is a hard one.... I can't really pick sitting outside with a good book right now due to the 117 degree heat today, so I have to go with Catching all the latest movies :)

Shelves to choose from: have and to read or have on kindle and to read

message 12: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Jun 19, 2016 11:41AM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 7836 comments I'm in, and while I do love the water, I spend a lot more time in the summer Sitting outside to read a book.

Please use my cant-wait-to-read shelf...thanks!

message 13: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 966 comments Sitting outside with a book, of course!

message 14: by Vandhana (new)

Vandhana | 68 comments Sitting outside to read a book :D :D

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1168 comments Sitting outside to read a book, of course

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bexsi) | 788 comments Sitting outside to read a book!

message 17: by Tina Theresa (new)

Tina Theresa | 255 comments Sitting outside to read a book.

message 18: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Jun 22, 2016 05:35PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1895 comments I'm in! love swimming :)
Pick it for me

message 19: by fleurette (new)

fleurette | 274 comments Sitting outside to read a book :)

Please use my meet-n-greet-old shelf. When it's not enough use this one - meet-n-greet.

message 20: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1694 comments Definitely sitting outside to read a book. :)

Current Challenge to Reads

message 21: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Jun 21, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

MountainKat | 22353 comments I definitely enjoy sitting outside with a book, but right now the bugs are way too thick and the sun is way too hot! So I'm going to go with swimming! Because other than ice cream, that is about the only thing that sounds good right now!

Please use my to-read-asap shelf - thanks! Now I just need to update that shelf...

message 22: by Cecily (new)

Cecily Kyle | 139 comments I'm In!!

This is the hardest choice because all three is usually the definition of my summer but I think I am going to choose Swimming!!

epl-to-read

message 23: by Danielle Gypsy Soul (last edited Jun 21, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) | 930 comments I'm going to say swimming :)

My list: My list

message 24: by Katherine (last edited Jun 21, 2016 12:49PM) (new)

Katherine | 279 comments I'm in!!!!!

What is your favorite summer activity?
Swimming

My shelf name: to-read-this-year
Link to shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 25: by Zorina (new)

Zorina | 236 comments Swimming.

message 26: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1047 comments sitting outside to read a book (preferably by water)
Shelf pick it challenge

message 27: by Ravenbleu (last edited Jun 22, 2016 12:48PM) (new)

Ravenbleu | 56 comments To read a book.

My list

message 28: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 292 comments Im in movies for me

message 29: by Ezi (last edited Jun 23, 2016 10:29AM) (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I'm in
Please choose an unrated book from my Audiobook Shelf

I only like romance books. Please keep that in mind. I like HEA or HFN.

message 30: by ~Melissa~ (last edited Jun 22, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

~Melissa~ | 1971 comments I'm in - sitting outside reading a book.
Shelves to use please june july mng picked OR freebie shelf

message 31: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2100 comments I'm in and I love catching all the latest movies!

message 32: by ♎ Nereta♎ (last edited Jun 22, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 50 comments I am in
Sitting outside

message 33: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly  | 69 comments I'm in
Sitting outside reading a book

message 34: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments Hmmm Kathy - I don't think I have a private profile do I??

message 35: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Hmmm Kathy - I don't think I have a private profile do I??"

I guess not! Don't know where I came up with that....sorry! =)

message 36: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11271 comments ☘KathyD☘ wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Hmmm Kathy - I don't think I have a private profile do I??"

I guess not! Don't know where I came up with that....sorry! =)"

I have one! You may have been thinking of me ;)

message 37: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments Fran wrote: "☘KathyD☘ wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Hmmm Kathy - I don't think I have a private profile do I??"

I have one! You may have been thinki..."

I think we have a winner! Thanks Fran...I knew someone had a private profile!

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Sitting outside reading a book ofcourse.

message 39: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments ☘KathyD☘ wrote: "Fran wrote: "☘KathyD☘ wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Hmmm Kathy - I don't think I have a private profile do I??"

I have one! You may hav..."

Phew - I was sure I didn't but I could have pressed a button accidentally... :D

message 40: by ☘KathyD☘ (last edited Jun 23, 2016 06:19AM) (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments ThatEzi wrote: "I'm in
Please choose an unrated book from my Audiobook Shelf"

Hey Ezi...can you let me know your summer preference?
swimming
reading
movies

message 41: by Lacee (new)

Lacee (laceew45) | 2 comments Sitting outside to read and my preferred shelf is "to-read."

message 42: by Ezi (last edited Jun 23, 2016 10:29AM) (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments ☘KathyD☘ wrote: "ThatEzi wrote: "I'm in

swimming
reading
movies"

Ezi prefers all of the above...but for the purposes of this game, I will say catching up on Movies & TV Show

message 43: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments ThatEzi wrote: "☘KathyD☘ wrote: "ThatEzi wrote: "I'm in

swimming
reading
movies"

LOL...fair enough and thank you!
Ezi prefers all of th..."

message 44: by Jody (last edited Jun 23, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Jody (crzyfrogger) | 167 comments I'm in
sitting outside reading
pifm

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 572 comments I'm in. I like sitting outside reading.

message 46: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments pairs and picking rules are posted...sorry for the late posting! let me know if you have any questions! Happy Reading!

message 47: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments hey fleurette! here are your picks for July...hope there is something here you’ll enjoy!

Native to North America, blueberries were used by Native American tribes for food, medicine, and dye for baskets and cloth
Sticks & Stones (tbr) – set in the US
Delicate Freakn’ Flower (new) – set in Canada

Blueberries are only blue on the outside; the inside flesh is actually green.
Lover Unleashed (tbr) – blue cover
Claimed (new) – features aliens

Summer is peak blueberry season! Typically, the season begins in May and last through early fall.
Ecstasy Unveiled (tbr) – added in May 2016
Reaper’s Property (new) – set in the summer

Blueberries are also called star berries.
Lead (tbr) – main character is a rock star
Come Away with Me (new) – main character is an actor

“Perfect” blueberries should be dusty in color.
Cold Midnight (tbr) – tagged mystery/suspense
The Restorer (new) – hazy cover

Often considered the healthiest fruit, blueberries are rich in vitamins C and E, manganese, and fiber, and have phenomenal antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Against the Ropes (tbr) – title begins with an “A”
Marked (new) – title begins with an “M”

Since 1995, blueberry consumption (and production) has tripled and the US and Canada produce roughly 200 million pounds of blueberries throughout the year!
Destined for an Early Grave (tbr) – 200+ pages
Wanted (new) – book 1 in a three-book series

Grown on bushes, blueberries are part of the rhododendron and azalea family
Rev It Up (tbr) – main characters are family (siblings)
Wife by Wednesday (new) – flowers on the cover

Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2) by Abigail Roux Delicate Freakn' Flower (Freakn' Shifters, #1) by Eve Langlais Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward Claimed (Brides of the Kindred, #1) by Evangeline Anderson Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica #4) by Larissa Ione Reaper's Property (Reapers MC, #1) by Joanna Wylde Lead (Stage Dive, #3) by Kylie Scott Come Away with Me (With Me in Seattle, #1) by Kristen Proby
Cold Midnight by Joyce Lamb The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) by Amanda Stevens Against the Ropes (Redemption, #1) by Sarah Castille Marked (Eternal Guardians, #1) by Elisabeth Naughton Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost Wanted (Most Wanted, #1) by J. Kenner Rev It Up (Black Knights Inc., #3) by Julie Ann Walker Wife by Wednesday (The Weekday Brides, #1) by Catherine Bybee

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) | 63 comments Sitting outside to read a book. :)

message 49: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments Amanda wrote: "Sitting outside to read a book. :)"

i'll sneak you in Amanda! =)

message 50: by ☘KathyD☘ (last edited Jun 23, 2016 08:32PM) (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2961 comments sign ups are now closed
pairing post is current

« previous 1 3 4