What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Vintage mystery where woman poisons herself to frame husband - maybe Agatha Christie

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Buffyaddict (new)

Buffyaddict When I was a kid I read a mystery (from 1930s or 1940s) about a man suffering from some kind if ptsd after war. His wife secretly didn't love him and framed him for her attempted murder. She took arsenic or cyanide, I can't remember which. I thought it was a Miss Marple mystery, but after looking through Agatha Christie's stories I can't find it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thank you!

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jun 20, 2016 10:56AM) (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Buffyaddict, is this book for kids, young adult/teens or older adults?

Is it in a collection of short stories such as mysteries or murder mysteries?

Is the main character a male/female detective/private investigator/etc. who solves the case?

message 3: by Buffyaddict (new)

Buffyaddict Hi, it was a book for adults, a novel, not a short story. I think it was published somewhere between 1920s and 1940s.

The main characters were the woman who was poisoning herself and her husband, a veteran of either ww1 or ww2 who suffered from nightmares and PTSD (not called that then).

I thought the detective was an older woman, maybe Miss Marple, but I can't find the book description in Agatha Christie's books so I must be wrong.

I think the woman either died or went to jail and the husband was left raising their baby.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
If the reader is told that the women died or went to jail and the husband was left raising the baby, it's probably not Agatha Christie, since she never wrote much aftermath after the mystery was solved. Pretty much the mystery was solved on the last few pages and then no more plot happened.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Buffyaddict left the group. Moving to Abandoned.