Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Looking for Alaska by John Green (YA BOM) Starts July 2, 2016

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31133 comments Mod

This topic is to discuss Looking for Alaska by John Green. Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 18, 2016 05:46PM) (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 08, 2016 02:41PM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Starts Ends PPQDs

2 July Start "..Now, Back to Tangents" Melissa
Pages 1-50

3 July "One Hundred Days "...Possibility of actual Caroline
Before" expulsion"
Pages 51-106

4 July "Two Days Before" "...find out why people off Melissa
Pages 107-154 themselves"

5 July "Fourteen Days After" end Karrie
Pages 155-215

Breakdown is based on the Overdrive ebook version. The book is broken into three uneven parts, so instead the breakdown provides the start and end text for each section to be read

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 18, 2016 05:46PM) (new)

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2823 comments I'm in for this one ;) and I'll do DQs

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 735 comments I have been wanting to read this one for a while

message 7: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Melissa wrote: "I'm in for this one ;) and I'll do DQs"

I've put you for day 1 if that works :)

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2823 comments Yep that works perfectly.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2823 comments I can multiple if you need me. Since I'm reading it anyway it won't matter :)

message 10: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 11: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments I'm in for my first DQs ! :)

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Woohoo! Thanks Caroline. I've put you down for day 2

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi this is the first book in reading as part of a good reads group :) are discussion questions posted at a particular time? I'm in New Zealand, so I'm a day ahead timewise. Have read the day 1 section and enjoying it so far.

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14464 comments Mod
Welcome Clover!

Our volunteers post questions in their time zone .I'm in Australia, so like you I find I'm generally a day ahead haha
;)

message 15: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I can write questions for the last day if you want me too. I will be reading this one.

message 16: by Kennedy (new)

Kennedy (novelisticpages) | 1 comments I'm super excited for this! Starting the book today :)

message 17: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Alright. pushing the envelope on this one. Don't want to start until all of the relay books for the first leg of wobble are posted. Then I will read like crazy to get caught up. Hope it is a quick read!

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14464 comments Mod
Thanks Karrie!
Yes it is a fast read :)

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2823 comments 2 July "..Now, Back to Tangents"
Pages 1-50

1. Have you read any other books by John Green before? What made you decide to read this book?

2. What do you think of Miles? Why do you think he had no friends in school and was able to make friends quickly at the boarding school?

3. Do you have an opinion on who ratted out Paul and Marya?

4. How do you feel about the 4 main characters, Miles, the Colonel, Takumim and Alaska? Do you have a favorite so far?

5. Alaska says at one point that she smokes to die. Do you think she was serious about this? She doesn't seem depressed but do you think she could be thinking about committing suicide?

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen (kaydeanne) 2 July "..Now, Back to Tangents"
Pages 1-50

1. Have you read any other books by John Green before? What made you decide to read this book?
No. I own three of them including Looking for Alaska but haven't gotten around to reading any of them until now. The fact that it is a BOM book is what has prompted me to finally read this book.

2. What do you think of Miles? Why do you think he had no friends in school and was able to make friends quickly at the boarding school?
I thought Miles was very easily led by much stronger characters. He made no real effort to make friends in either school. Things just happened to him rather than he making them happen.

Not enough information is given at this point for me to have an opinion on who ratted them out.

4. How do you feel about the 4 main characters, Miles, the Colonel, Takumim and Alaska? Do you have a favorite so far?
There is nothing of what I've read so far which makes me feel attached to any of these characters. I hope that changes as the book progresses because right now I don't care enough about what happens to them.

5. Alaska says at one point that she smokes to die. Do you think she was serious about this? She doesn't seem depressed but do you think she could be thinking about committing suicide?
I do think she was serious. Depression doesn't often show clearly to people looking in from the outside. Since the story is told from Miles' point of view it is impossible at this point to have a clear picture of what she is feeling or thinking on the inside. Thus, I'm going to go with the idea that it is possible. Smoking though is an odd and slow choice of method.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 03, 2016 12:37AM) (new)

I've read the Fault in our Stars (after watching the movie). I've wanted to read a book with an active discussion board and this one was cheap to buy.

I think Miles is ok, a bit easily led I guess. I think he is definitely just going along with more outgoing people at the new school - he is forced into being around them at boarding school. Not sure if I would consider the Colonel and Alaska his 'friends' just yet.

So far I think it could have been anyone.

I definitely like Miles the most but he isn't my 'favourite character' - none of them really are. So far I don't overly like the Colonel or Alaska but I think they will grow on me.

I think its more than likely that she has been depressed at some point, most teenagers have been. I think she thinks dying young would be 'cool' but I don't think she actually wants to die.

message 22: by Drishti (last edited Jul 03, 2016 04:29AM) (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1047 comments I read this book a few months ago. So I'm not gonna reread it. But I think I remember enough on the story to join in the discussion. If that's okay...

2 July "..Now, Back to Tangents"
Pages 1-50

Before I read this book, I had read The Fault in Our Stars. It became one of my all-time favorites and I've even reread it once since then. So, of course, I just HAD to read John Green's other books too! :p

I do like Miles as a character. And that snark of his is just like icing on the cake. As for his not having any friends in school, it happens. I have gone through the same thing, so I think I'm qualified to say that perhaps sometimes, you just don't connect with people. But I remember not being convinced by how quickly he made friends at the boarding school. I felt like he was just so easily influenced by Alaska, Takumi and the Colonel.

I remember when I read this book, I didn't have much of an opinion about this. Actually, I just took this detail for granted and didn't even give it much thought.

While I think that Miles and Alaska were interesting characters, my favorite would have to be the Colonel. As for Takumi, you could say that it was another thing (or person, whatever) I took for granted. :p

One thing that I know for sure is that Alaska was serious about this. I know she doesn't seem depressed, but there's no denying that given her personality, she could have been thinking of suicide.

message 23: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments 2 July "..Now, Back to Tangents"
Pages 1-50

Not it is my first time reading a John Green book. The story seemed light and a fun read so I went in for this one !

I think Miles is a very intelligent boy and maybe he didn't get along with the other kids because of that. Now he has found kids that he can look up to. They are both intelligents and bold.

Maybe Alaska? I don't know but there is something about her...

I do not have a favorite yet. They all seem to be kids who want to get away from their houses where they don't have any attention. They get their attention by being bold and doing foolish stuff.

She is very weird and this get us wanting to know more about her... She must be depressed or at least not feeling good about herself to say things like that ! I feel there is still something we don't know that made her want to leave her house and go to boarding school ?

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin (ecrawford28) July 2

I have not read any other books by John Green. I decided to read this book because I was looking for something that would keep my interest and I had heard a lot of good things about the books that have been written by John Green.

I think Miles is a boy who does not have much confidence with himself, but seems to be finding that the longer that he is at The Creek. I think it has been easier for him to make friends at a boarding school because going away to school forces everyone out of their comfort zone to some extent. I think this is an important part of Miles having less difficulty making friends because when you are forced out of your comfort zone everyone tends to look for comfort and reassurance in those around them, creating connections much faster than you might when you are in a place where you are comfortable.

I do not have a thought about who it could have been that ratted the couple out. However, I do think it would be someone who no one was expecting. Someone who could rat them out and then sit and watch as everyone else was blamed because they were too close to the couple who got in trouble.

4. How do you feel about the 4 main characters, Miles, the Colonel, Takumim, and Alaska? Do you have a favorite so far?
I like all of the main characters and I think that they make a very balanced group of friends. My favorite so far in the Colonel. He is very quirky and seems very calm in most situations. I also find it funny that he finds great joy in being kicked out of games at his school.

To me is seems that Alaska is just a girl with a very morbid personality and sense of humor. I personally know people like this and they say things like this all of the time but are actually very stable and balanced individuals despite their situations. I think this is a way for Alaska to share her feelings or release stress that she is feeling. I do not think that she is thinking about committing suicide.

message 25: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments 3 July "Possibility of actual expulsion"
Pages 51-106

6. Why do you think Alaska betrayed her friend Marya instead of anybody else? When Miles and Alaska were searching through the other rooms, it was clear she had done this befoire.

7.Do you like Alaska? and what do you think are these ghosts at her house she is talking about?

8.Miles seems to be happy in his new group, but still he is kind of an outsider. He doesn't participate in the elaboration of their plan for the pre-joke and still he has one of the most danderous task. Do you think he will evolve as one of the leader or he will remain a follower?

9.Have you ever been to boarding school? What do you think of their need to make teams and do tricks against each other?

10. John Green has this particular idea to do the story around the D day instead of beginning with it like we mostly see. What do you think about his style? Do you have any idea yet on what is going to happen on D day?

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 04, 2016 01:11AM) (new)

3 July "Possibility of actual expulsion"
Pages 51-106

6. Why do you think Alaska betrayed her friend Marya instead of anybody else? When Miles and Alaska were searching through the other rooms, it was clear she had done this before.
I think she was jealous of Marya. She probably wouldn't like her room mate having a boyfriend living so close when hers is far away.

7. Do you like Alaska? and what do you think are these ghosts at her house she is talking about?
I do like Alaska but she reminds me of an old friend that used to make me feel left out sometimes. Similar to how Miles is left out - he is definitely their friend but they keep some things private from him. I think she is talking about metaphorical ghosts/memories.

8. Miles seems to be happy in his new group, but still he is kind of an outsider. He doesn't participate in the elaboration of their plan for the pre-joke and still he has one of the most dangerous tasks. Do you think he will evolve as one of the leader or he will remain a follower?
I think he will be allowed to know more and will become closer with them but I don't think he will ever become a leader.

9. Have you ever been to boarding school? What do you think of their need to make teams and do tricks against each other?
I haven't been but I always wanted to go (similar reasons that Miles has). I think the tricks is just a very exaggerated version of what happens in real life high school.

10. John Green has this particular idea to do the story around the D day instead of beginning with it like we mostly see. What do you think about his style? Do you have any idea yet on what is going to happen on D day?
I like it but I worry that I will expect to much. But then maybe Miles expects to much and it is meant to mirror that. I don't know what will happen.

message 27: by Erin (new)

Erin (ecrawford28) July 3

6. Why do you think Alaska betrayed her friend Marya instead of anybody else? When Miles and Alaska were searching through the other rooms it was clear she had done this before.
I think there may have been a few reasons why she ratted on her friend. She may have thought that no one would believe it was her because it was her friend so she was the best person to rat on. She may have also disliked that she was always getting into trouble while her friend who she knew was committing a "trifecta" was getting away with it.

7. Do you like Alaska? And what do you think are these ghosts at her house that she is talking about?
I have mixed feelings about Alaska. I see her as a torn person; someone who has many demons but ultimately still wants to do right by the people that she cares about. I think that the ghosts at her house are secrets that surround her family. Things that happen at home that she does not feel she can talk about with anyone else.

8. Miles seems to be happy in his new group, but he still is kind of an outsider. He doesn't participate in the elaboration of their plan for the pre-joke and still has one of the most dangerous tasks. Do you think he will evolve as one of the leaders or remain a follower.
Right now I think that Miles is hanging back and likes it that way. However, whatever is coming up feels like it is going to be a big event. I think that if the climax of the story is as big as it seems like it is going to be then he may have to become one of the leaders even if he prefers to be in the background.

9. Have you ever been to boarding school? What do you think of their need to make teams and do tricks against each other?
I have never been to boarding school. I think that their desire to play pranks against one another comes from cliques that are often formed at their age. This happens in public schools as well (often without the pranks, I think). Possibly the size of the school and the very defined two cliques play pranks against one another because they do not get along but also because there are not many things to do while they are there.

I love the idea of leading up to the D day, not knowing what is going to happen and trying to find clues as to what might be going on has kept me reading. I have no idea what is going to happen on D day, but considering the the book is called Looking for Alaska I feel as if it will definitely have something to do with Alaska and it will not be good. I can only assume that if she is so morbid in her humor that it will be something that will put her life at risk.

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2823 comments 3 July "Possibility of actual expulsion"
Pages 51-106

6. Why do you think Alaska betrayed her friend Marya instead of anybody else? When Miles and Alaska were searching through the other rooms, it was clear she had done this befoire.

I think she betrayed Marya because she was caught. I think she panicked and she didn't want to go home so she did what she had to do to stay. Anything else wasn't a guarantee to still be true but Marya and Paul still being in bed together was most likely.

7.Do you like Alaska? and what do you think are these ghosts at her house she is talking about?
I want to find out more about her. She is genuinely an interesting character and I want to know more about who she is and what she is hiding.

8.Miles seems to be happy in his new group, but still he is kind of an outsider. He doesn't participate in the elaboration of their plan for the pre-joke and still he has one of the most danderous task. Do you think he will evolve as one of the leader or he will remain a follower?
I'm not sure if he will ever be a follower. The Colonel and Alaska seem to have that role and I think it is because they always want to take the blame when they can.

9.Have you ever been to boarding school? What do you think of their need to make teams and do tricks against each other?
I have not. I'm not sure what to make of it. It seems a little weird to me.

I have no clue what D day is. I think it has to do with Alaska and Miles getting together. John Green does it in a subtle way. It doesn't overpower the story but adds a little interest to it.

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2823 comments 4 July "Two Days Before" "...find out why people off themselves"
Pages 107-154

11. What do you think of Alaska's Worst Day of Her Life? Do you think this is the reason she is so off? Do you wonder what type of relationship she had with her father after that?

12. The prank was such a big deal but in the end was a dud. There really wasn't a fallout because of it. Do you think there will be retaliation from the Weekend Warriors?

13. I have to admit I was shocked by Alaska's death. I didn't see it coming at all. Do you believe that she killed herself or that she was extremely drunk and was not able to swerve? Why?

14. Poor Miles and the Colonel - they just left her go but do you think it was really their responsibility to tell her to stay? Do you think she would have listened anyway?

15. All of the students seemed to be extremely upset by Alaska's death - including the Weekend Warriors. Do you think their pranks were just fun and it was something they all secretly enjoyed? Do you think they are honestly upset by her death and will miss her?

16. What do you think about Jake's missing from her funeral? Do you think he was the one who called her the night she died?

message 30: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments 11. What do you think of Alaska's Worst Day of Her Life? Do you think this is the reason she is so off? Do you wonder what type of relationship she had with her father after that?
I do think this is the reason she is always feeling like she's not worthy and she's always in a rush to prove that she is the best and the more bold of the team. I believe she was willing to go to this school because she would not be oblige to be with her dad every day. Maybe her dad have been upset with her since the day her mom died, or she is feeling too guilty to support being with her father....

12. The prank was such a big deal but in the end was a dud. There really wasn't a fallout because of it. Do you think there will be retaliation from the Weekend Warriors?
We did not really see any results from this prank... Maybe the death of Alaska will put an holg on retaliation from the Weekend Warriors.

13. I have to admit I was shocked by Alaska's death. I didn't see it coming at all. Do you believe that she killed herself or that she was extremely drunk and was not able to swerve? Why?
I did not see it happen either! I was really shocked because I was thinking she would disappear or something like that. I think something happened with that phone call that made her want to disappear forever...

14. Poor Miles and the Colonel - they just left her go but do you think it was really their responsibility to tell her to stay? Do you think she would have listened anyway?
They really feel bad about this. I think this is something everyone should think about, you do not let anyone take their car when they've been drinking, or are really worried. Young adults often do not realize the consequences of drinking and driving, I have seen enough to know now... Maybe she would not have listen, but you have the responsibility of trying.

15. All of the students seemed to be extremely upset by Alaska's death - including the Weekend Warriors. Do you think their pranks were just fun and it was something they all secretly enjoyed? Do you think they are honestly upset by her death and will miss her?
I don't think they did pranks on her because they hated her, I think it was the opposite actually. If you don't like someone you just don't car, or you try to humiliate them. Their pranks seemed to be always just to annoy her. I don't know if you can really fake being sad for someone's death. Even if you didn't know the person very well, it is always sad when you saw this person everyday.

16. What do you think about Jake's missing from her funeral? Do you think he was the one who called her the night she died?
This was really weird for me. Especially with the phone call she received just before she had her accident. It made me think he broke up with her or told her something so upsetting she would want to finish her life... Except event if it was because of this he should have been to her funeral. She still was her girlfriend for a time !!

message 31: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Thanks Karrie!
Yes it is a fast read :)"

Well, I couldn't wait any longer. I will answer the questions and then post mine.

message 32: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments 1. Have you read any other books by John Green before? What made you decide to read this book?
Yes, I have read Paper Towns and The Fault in Our Stars and Loved them both. It did not come recommended by my teenage daughter. In fact she did not like it, so I read it because it was a BOM.

That's a really good point. It crossed my mind and then I dismissed it. But in reality he probably would have had trouble making friends there too. Maybe it was because he kind of fell in with the colonel right away, and that kind of paved the way for him.

No.

I really wanted to like them all at this point in the story. I can't say that I have a favorite yet.

Maybe. I thought it was a strange comment. I wonder if she says things like that to get attention.

message 33: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments 6. Why do you think Alaska betrayed her friend Marya instead of anybody else? When Miles and Alaska were searching through the other rooms, it was clear she had done this befoire.
I'm not sure. Maybe she was mad at her.

I want to like Alaska, but I don't really like the way she behaves. She needs to think before she acts.

No comment as I have finished the book.

Nope. I think it is kind of strange and unrealistic the amount and types of things they get away with.

10. John Green has this particular idea to do the story around the D day instead of beginning with it like we mostly see. What do you think about his style? Do you have any idea yet on what is going to happen on D day? I like the style. The only down side is that you know something big is coming.

message 34: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments 11. What do you think of Alaska's Worst Day of Her Life? Do you think this is the reason she is so off? Do you wonder what type of relationship she had with her father after that?
I was stunned and saddened when I heard about her worst day. That would be very traumatic. I wonder if anyone explained to her that with an aneurism there would have been nothing she or 911 could have done.

I would think so.

Once again no comment

I don't think she would have listened, but the eagle might have caught her if they didn't help her.

I think that everyone is really sad that she is dead. No one would ever be happy about that.

I was shocked that Jake would not go to the funeral.

message 35: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments 17. Did you wind up having a favorite character? And why?

18. Where you satisfied with the ending of the book? Do you think the friends reached the correct conclusion?

19. What did you think of the mega-prank? Would kids really be able to do that at a school and not get into trouble?

20. Alaska had a life library. Do you have one? Name a book that is in our would be in your life library.

21. I loved the famous last words. Did you have a famous last words from the book (or any that you just know)?

22. I liked it when Pudge said that he would love Alaska always with his crooked heart. I think that we need to look past the faults in people, no one is perfect. How do you feel about this?

message 36: by Erin (new)

Erin (ecrawford28) 11. What do you think of Alaska's Worst Day of Her Life? Do you think this is the reason she is so off? Do you wonder what type of relationship she had with her father after that?

I think Alaska's worst day of her life is very tragic and enough to make anyone act the way that she does during the story. I do wonder what type of relationship she had with her father after the accident because he was so upset with her and she carries a lot of self hatred because of that day.

I think that because of the events with Alaska's passing, the prank may take a back seat for a while across campus. I think after there may start to be some retaliation as others begin to forget about the incident.

I had a feeling that something was going to happen to Alaska but I had no idea that she was going to end up passing away. I do think that there is a possibility that she did crash her car on purpose. Considering that she wrote in that book about how she was going to get out of the labyrinth. Everything so far is pointing to her committing suicide. Although if that is true, I do not think that it was something that she was planning.

I have a hard time picking a side on this one. I believe that it is not their responsibility to constantly be looking after her. On the other hand, I do believe that as her closest friends that they should have tired to make her stay. I do not think she would have listened, I think she would have become more angry with them and end up leaving anyways.

I think that while they are at school they think that nothing can happen to them. They are on their own, with their friends, and playing pranks on one another seems like a fun thing to do. I think that Alaska's death reminded them that they are not all invincible. I do not think that everyone was upset about the death as much as they were about the thought of death itself. Many of the other students seemed to move on very quickly.

I think that may be too much of a predictable thing. I think there has to be something else that happened and that is why he is missing from the funeral. I do think that it is possible that he was the one to call her that night though.

message 37: by Amy the book-bat (last edited Jul 06, 2016 08:31PM) (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 735 comments 2 July "..Now, Back to Tangents"
Pages 1-50

3 July "Possibility of actual expulsion"
Pages 51-106

6. Why do you think Alaska betrayed her friend Marya instead of anybody else? When Miles and Alaska were searching through the other rooms, it was clear she had done this before.

8.Miles seems to be happy in his new group, but still he is kind of an outsider. He doesn't participate in the elaboration of their plan for the pre-joke and still he has one of the most dangerous task. Do you think he will evolve as one of the leader or he will remain a follower?

4 July "Two Days Before" "...find out why people off themselves"
Pages 107-154

11. What do you think of Alaska's Worst Day of Her Life? Do you think this is the reason she is so off? Do you wonder what type of relationship she had with her father after that?

July 5

17. Did you wind up having a favorite character? And why?

18. Where you satisfied with the ending of the book? Do you think the friends reached the correct conclusion?

19. What did you think of the mega-prank? Would kids really be able to do that at a school and not get into trouble?

20. Alaska had a life library. Do you have one? Name a book that is in our would be in your life library.

21. I loved the famous last words. Did you have a famous last words from the book (or any that you just know)?

22. I liked it when Pudge said that he would love Alaska always with his crooked heart. I think that we need to look past the faults in people, no one is perfect. How do you feel about this?

message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin (ecrawford28) 17. Did you wind up having a favorite character? And why?
I did not end up getting attached to any character in particular.

18. We're you satisfied with the ending of the book? Do you think the friends reached the correct conclusion?
I was satisfied with the ending of the book. I think it was a good decision for the friends to stop looking for answers and torturing themselves. In the books I read I am usually left with more questions but this was a very nice ending where I had no other questions.

That prank was amazing, it made me laugh. I think that kids would be able to pull off the prank at a school but they would definitely get in trouble for it.

20. Alaska had a life library. Do you have one? Name a book that is in your life library.
I think if I had the space I may have a life library but I do not have the room to stack books.

I also really enjoyed the famous last words. The two that were my favorite were the ones that were used often; about the labyrinth and the great perhaps.

I agree. I think that is what love is, taking someone fully. Their flaws and all because that is what makes a person who they are, the good and the bad.

message 39: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Erin wrote: "17. Did you wind up having a favorite character? And why?
I did not end up getting attached to any character in particular.

18. We're you satisfied with the ending of the book? Do you think the f..."

I loved the great perhaps too! What an exciting approach to life. It would leave you open to more opportunities to say yes!

message 40: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments 1. Have you read any other books by John Green before? What made you decide to read this book?
I had read The Fault in Our Stars before (and absolutely loved it). I decided to read Looking for Alaska, because I was hoping it would be equally good.

I thought the 4 of them was quite a good selection of characters. At the beginning of the book, my favourite was probably Miles, but as the story progressed, I became more intrigued by Alaska.

17. Did you wind up having a favorite character? And why?
I did not get attached to any character in particular. I thought overall, the characters in this book were a lot harder to connect to than the ones in The Fault In Our Stars. If I had to pick a favourite, it was probably Alaska.

18. We're you satisfied with the ending of the book? Do you think the friends reached the correct conclusion?
Yes. I thought the ending was suitable for the book.

message 41: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (g_wendy) | 14 comments I know this is done but was looking for my next read when I saw the thread. Curious about John Green so starting now!

message 42: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Wendy wrote: "I know this is done but was looking for my next read when I saw the thread. Curious about John Green so starting now!"

I hope you enjoy it. I felt like it left me with some things to think about, and I like that in a book.

message 43: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1047 comments Karrie wrote: "Wendy wrote: "I know this is done but was looking for my next read when I saw the thread. Curious about John Green so starting now!"

I hope you enjoy it. I felt like it left me with some things to..."

Me too. :)

message 44: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments Karrie wrote: "Wendy wrote: "I know this is done but was looking for my next read when I saw the thread. Curious about John Green so starting now!"

I hope you enjoy it. I felt like it left me with some things to..."

So do I :-)

message 45: by Alison (Marie) (new)

Alison (Marie) (adecks97) | 7 comments I was just talking about how John Green books in general talk about the serious and some times absolute depressing thing that teenagers can have to go through in life. I find these kind of books so important because I feel like sometimes we forget that teens can have these "adult" problems. I was just wondering what other people thought about this and would love to discuss it more.

message 46: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I would agree that he does a good job examining teen problems. He has excellent character development and seems to "get" where kids who struggle are coming from. I appreciate his work! I think he also brings up important topics for conversation.