THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Advice sought please - TIA

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth | 13 comments Dear all - I tried posting this on the librarians group section for Policy and Practices, but apparently it wasn't the right place. So I hope someone here may know of the correct official GR policy, as I'm keen to operate within the rules. Please don't just guess if you don't really know - but I'd be very very grateful for any reply from someone who does! Here's the thing ...
I'm keen to avoid any sniff of self-promotion, but I've recently been informed by a potential publisher that I should convert my private webpage to a promo-site for all my books. I'd very much like to ask the GR community for any comments specifically about the functionality of my revised site - how easy it is to click between sections, etc. I certainly won't do this if it's considered self-promotion, but the feedback I must admit would be truly helpful. Please note - I am NOT asking for anyone's comments on the website -merely whether it would be against GR rules to solicit feedback on the site itself. Thanks for your consideration. Here's the link: http://www.womenstuff.org

reply | edit | delete | flag *

message 2: by Jim (last edited Jun 18, 2016 05:51PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic Beth wrote: "Dear all - I tried posting this on the librarians group section for Policy and Practices, but apparently it wasn't the right place. So I hope someone here may know of the correct official GR policy..."

Beth,

Many Goodreads discussion groups include a thread dedicated specifically to author self-promotion. Authors belonging to these groups are invited to promote their work, website, blog,, etc. as often as they like as long as it is done within the designated thread.

Authors that are deemed to be in violation of GR policy are those that spam and insist upon seeking to cleverly, and often not so cleverly, promote themselves and their work in threads clearly dedicated to subject matter that is not receptive to promotional efforts. Read a discussion group's rules and check out the various threads available before attempting to self-promote or seek advice or comments regarding your work or associated material and all will be well.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth | 13 comments Jim wrote: "Beth wrote: "Dear all - I tried posting this on the librarians group section for Policy and Practices, but apparently it wasn't the right place. So I hope someone here may know of the correct offic..."
Thanks so much for your reply, Jim - what's unclear to me still, though, is whether soliciting feedback from the GR community about a promotional website - i.e. how it functions, possibly how it looks - rather than its content - countermands any official GR policy re self-promotion.

Surely there must be some statement on the site by its owners about this matter - or are you really suggesting that I dip into every single thread in the hope someone might mention it. I certainly didn't see it in any of the thread titles - unless I missed it.

Perhaps what I'm seeking is beyond the bounds of GR - I repeat, although my revised site has been constructed to promote my books - I'm not seeking to promote anything in this context. I'm trying to get feedback about a website - as though it were a site about art or tacos.

I was hopeful a community of writers might have some thoughts.
Ah, well - I guess I'll have to ask elsewhere.

But, honestly, I am grateful for your reply.

message 4: by Stacy (new)

Stacy McKitrick | 7 comments I suggest you look at other author websites (a favorite of yours or someone who writes similar books) and see how they do it. I didn't find your website to be all that inviting to click on anything.

Sometimes simple is better.

If you google your name, does your website show up at top? If not, then you need to fix that, too. Start with a URL that has your name in it.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley Beth wrote: "Dear all - I tried posting this on the librarians group section for Policy and Practices, but apparently it wasn't the right place. So I hope someone here may know of the correct official GR policy..."

When I clicked on you link, basically what I got was a picture. Clicking on anything brought up an Ooops statement that I really didn't want to do that. Sometimes it's best to pay to have a better site done. A good banner picture, a nice picture of yourself, a bio, and then pictures of your books that are clickable to get a blurb and all the links where to purchase. And most importantly, links to sites and blogs that reviewed your books.
JMHO Patg