What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Other
This topic is about The Other
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Mystery about Brothers (twins?) in Connecticut. [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angharad (new)

Angharad | 34 comments Hi All,

I hope that you can help. I remember reading an older book (I think it was published in late 1960's or 1970's) about brothers (they might even be twins) living in Connecticut (Wethersfield, I think). The story was a mystery, one of the brothers turned out to be dead, and the other talked to him and/or wasn't convinced or didn't accept that his brother was dead. I can't remember the author or the title, and reincarnation may have be a sub-topic. The brothers got into trouble, and yes, the book was adult fiction (I borrowed it from the library). The only name that pops into my mind is Pynchon, but when I did a search online, I couldn't find any of his books that resemble my memory. Thanks!

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jun 18, 2016 02:53PM) (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Angharad, I moved your request to the Unsolved folder because you're looking for a specific book.

I added the genre (mystery) to the topic header to help people searching for books. Is it a spoiler to say one of the brothers turned out to be dead, or is this mentioned early in the book?

message 3: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments "The Other" by Thomas Tryon perhaps?

message 4: by Angharad (new)

Angharad | 34 comments Thank you Kris! I don't always post here, and I'd forgotten which folder was the appropriate place.

Thank you Laurie--that sounds familiar. I'll look at my library this week. I have no idea where I got "Pynchon", but there was a real life Pynchon who was an early Puritan settler.

message 5: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments You're welcome Angharad, I thought you might have gotten the author Thomas Tryon confused with Thomas Pynchonsince they both end with 'on'.

message 6: by Angharad (new)

Angharad | 34 comments I think you're right, Laurie. Pynchons are common in my neck of the woods (and the real life Pynchon I was thinking of was William Pynchon), but I see that there is an author named Thomas Pynchon. And the book I was thinking of was set in Connecticut, with the family descendants of the earliest settlers.....and my poor fried brain scrambled the two.

This is a wonderful site--I'm glad that folks here remember books and authors and can answer questions when memory fails (a hazard when you read soooo many books)!

message 7: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments I remember when "The Other" first came out in the late '70's. It was one of those books that everyone was reading at the time and one that I keep meaning to read.

I hope this is the book you're looking for - be sure to let us know if it is.

message 8: by Angharad (new)

Angharad | 34 comments Thanks Laurie! I am pretty certain that it is---I'll know once I get to the library (assuming the book isn't checked out or lost). I love a good psychological thriller, with a ghost story thrown in. Some of the books today that get touted as psychological thrillers I find neither psychological nor thrilling, so I'm re-visiting older books that do a better job at this genre, IMHO.

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Angharad, I moved your request to a Solved folder. If this isn't your book, just let us know and we'll move it back to the Unsolved folder.

message 10: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments Angharad wrote: "Thanks Laurie! I am pretty certain that it is---I'll know once I get to the library (assuming the book isn't checked out or lost). I love a good psychological thriller, with a ghost story thrown in..."

I do agree with you about the older psychological thrillers - they were so much better.

One of the best I've ever read is The Girl in a Swing if you're interested in checking this out.

message 11: by Angharad (new)

Angharad | 34 comments Kris, this IS the book for which I was searching. Thanks for moving my query to the solved folder.

And thank you Laurie for your quick response with the correct answer! Ohhh....I've both read the book "The Girl in a Swing" and seen the movie. You're right--it is one of the better psychological thrillers. Much better than "The Widow", which I read earlier this year and was merely ho-hum.

message 12: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments YES! I didn't know there was a movie version of Girl in a Swing!

I must order this right away - thanks so much Angharad.

I'm looking forward to your review of The Other :D

message 13: by Angharad (new)

Angharad | 34 comments You're welcom, Laurie. The movie is nearly 30 years old....I remember that I liked it, but I wonder how it holds up to today's movies. I don't mind movies that progress at a slower pace, or that require me to use my brain because they don't graphically show everything. Others sometimes find them not interesting enough, not tech enough, not graphic enough, not blatant enough.

Meg Tilly and Rupert Frazier star in the movie. I did a quick search on Amazon, and see it is now available on DVD. I remember renting it from a video store on VHS!!

message 14: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments I prefer older movies for that very reason and love watching them on TCM. I can't wait to watch GOAS now.

Another great book you might enjoy: The Widow of Ratchets which slowly builds up to pure terror.

message 15: by Angharad (new)

Angharad | 34 comments Great! It is so hard to recommend movies, books, etc. because people's taste and expectations can be very different.

I like the older movies too, for the same reasons. I don't need to see everything. Often just the hint will be enough for my me to know what happened. The original Star Trek series were like that. The characters pointed their tasers at the enemy, but you never saw anyone getting blasted, much less dying. Same thing with "Highlander: the series"--the sword whiffed, and you knew what happened (the producers never showed the gore). I even preferred an older (1979 BBC production) version of "Pride and Prejudice", much as I like Colin Firth, I thought the older version was more faithful to the book. There was no need to show Lydia scampering about in her undergarments.

Thanks for the recommendation--I've added it to my "to read" list. ILL, WorldCat, and ComCat are the best.

For a book with a supernatural theme, try Marcy Heidish's "The Torching". On the whole, I liked it a lot, but it does have a couple of flaws (not enough to detract from the story, though).

message 16: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments Thanks so much Angharad, I'm sending you a private message :D