Pulp Fiction discussion

Cornell Woolrich
This topic is about Cornell Woolrich
Prolific Authors > Cornell Woolrich

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 7 comments Also wrote under numerous pseudonyms, William Irish being one.

message 2: by Nancy, Fallen Angel (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 482 comments Mod
As William Irish, he has a cool book called Marihuana which is so unrealistic it's laugh worthy.

message 3: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 7 comments Some of his plots are so bizarre that they boggle the imagination even as they entertain.

message 4: by Nancy, Fallen Angel (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 482 comments Mod
I just picked up I Married a Dead Man. There is a Barbara Stanwyck movie I want to watch based on this book but I want to read the novel first. Movie: No Man of Her Own.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Just started with Cornel Woolrich's books. I'm reading The Black Angel. So far I am enjoying it, his descriptions of The Bowery are incredibly atmospheric, I was reading this part last night around midnight during a really torrential storm, thunder and lightning hammering on rooftops outside as I read of men being like shadows and no longer human. Great stuff.

message 6: by Jay (new)

Jay Gertzman | 264 comments There is a great bio: Cornell Woolrich: _First You Dream, Then You Die_. Woolrich is the master of Fate, leading people on to hope and to perseverance with their suffering. Then the Black Ox treads firmly. It's fascinating, b/c one is drawn in by the suspense, the refusal to believe things will work out badly--and even if you think they will, as a human you are drawn in, and cannot quite give up hope. Lots of films were made from Woolrich yarns. I'd like to know how many had to make the ending less noir, so the audience would not be angry leaving the theater--angry at themselves, perhaps.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jay wrote: "There is a great bio: Cornell Woolrich: _First You Dream, Then You Die_. Woolrich is the master of Fate, leading people on to hope and to perseverance with their suffering. Then the Black Ox treads..."

His life seemed cinematic. It would make for a great movie. His life in Hollywood, where I believe he toyed with the idea of being gay, getting into drugs, then back in New York and dying in a shabby hotel with a missing leg.

It's tragic. But makes for a compelling story.

message 8: by Jay (new)

Jay Gertzman | 264 comments It sure would. And part of it would have to be his deep relationship with his mother, with whom he lived for many years. He seems to have gone downhill fast after her death. It is similar to David Goodis, who fell into deep depression after his mother died, and died himself about two years later. Goodis had spent the 1950s writing novels in his parents' house, where he lived since 1950. Both men made excursions alone, Woolrich to gay bars, Goodis to places where African Americans hung out, b/c he was very attracted to a certain type of woman. And both went in a kind of disguise.

message 9: by CD (new)