The History Book Club discussion

ARCHIVE > KAREN'S 50 BOOKS IN 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Karen..........here is your new thread in 2016. Happy reading in the new year.

Our Required Format:

JANUARY

1. My Early Life, 1874-1904 by Winston S. Churchill by Winston S. Churchill Winston S. Churchill
Finish date: January 2016
Genre: (whatever genre the book happens to be)
Rating: A
Review: You can add text from a review you have written but no links to any review elsewhere even goodreads. And that is about it. Just make sure to number consecutively and just add the months.

message 2: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Karen, good job on the format! One thing though....each book you read has to have it's own post, that is, you can't have multiple books in one post.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 2. Sandstorm (Sigma Force, #1) by James Rollins by James Rollins James Rollins
Genre: Fiction
Rating:B
Review: This was an Indiana Jones type thriller set in Oman. A fun read, with some ancient history thrown in.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 3. Broken Glass by Alain Mabanckou by Alain Mabanckou Alain Mabanckou
Rating: A-
Review: Broken Glass is a fixture in a Congolese bar, almost to the point that it is his home. The owner tells him that he should write a book, and gives him a notebook to encourage him. Word gets around that Broken Glass is writing a book, and everyone wants to tell him their story, so that they will be in the book.

To be honest, this will not be a book for everyone, because it is gritty. I loved the literary and cultural references, which kept me reading.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 4. Chocolate Islands Cocoa, Slavery, and Colonial Africa by Catherine Higgs by Catherine Higgs (no photo)
Genre: History
Rating: B
Review: Chocolate Islands traces the journey of Joseph Burtt, an Englishman, hired by the Cadbury brothers to determine if the cocoa plantations were using slaves to harvest and process the cocoa beans. Burtt traveled to Sao Tome, Principe, Angola, with a short trip to Mozambique and South Africa. Burtt did determine that workers were forcibly recruited to work, and that they were coming from Angola.

This book was very well researched and found it to be interesting, albeit a little dry

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 5. Claim No Easy Victories The Legacy of Amilcar Cabral by Firoze Manji by Firoze Manji (no photo)
Genre: Political essays
Review: Amilcar Cabral was assassinated on January 20, 1973 in Conakry, Guinea. He was an agronomist, an intellectual and a revolutionary democratic theorist. He led a guerilla movement PAIGC in Guinea against the Portuguese government and won independence for the People of Guinea (Guinea-Bissau) and Cape Verde. This book, written in 2013 to commemorate the 40 year anniversary of his death, is filled with essays on his legacy.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 6. Song from the Forest My Life Among the Ba-Benjelle Pygmies by Louis Sarno by Louis Sarno (no photo)
Genre: Memoir
Review: Louis Sarno was listening to the radio one day and heard a polyphonic tune that he had to find out more about it. He found that it was music made by the Pygmies of Central Africa. He went to the Central African Republic without knowing if he would find what he was looking for. He found the Bayaka people, and slowly heard their music. He planned on staying only 3 months to record their music, but he realized that he would never leave. He made trips back to America, but his heart belonged with the Bayaka.

He went on to write a book and a filmmaker produced a documentary about the life of the Bayaka.

message 8: by Karen (last edited Jun 19, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) 7. Nasara Dispatches from a District Hospital in Chad by James Appel by James Appel (no photo)
Genre: Memoir/Diary
Rating B+
Review:
James Appel is a Missionary Doctor (with the Adventist Church) in Bere, Chad, where he is the only doctor in the hospital. This is really his diary (or blog posts) from 2004 - 2006. Even though he often feels as though he is way in over his head, he is determined to keep going, and give the local population the medical treatment they need.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 8. História, História Two Years in the Cape Verde Islands by Eleanor Stanford by Eleanor Stanford Eleanor Stanford
Finish date: January
Review: Ellie and her husband join the Peace Corps in 1998 and are stationed in Cape Verde. What I liked about this book is the history that is included in this slim book. Ellie beautifully describes the islands.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) FEBRUARY
9. Love in a Fallen City by Eileen Chang by Eileen Chang Eileen Chang
Finish date: February 2016
Genre: Fiction/short stories
Rating B-
Review:
I think I wasn't in the mood for this book, because I found myself getting a little bored. Love in Fallen City is a collection of short stories set in Hong Kong and Shanghai. The topic of this collection centered around romantic love.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 10. Che Wants to See You The Untold Story of Che Guevara by Ciro Bustos by Ciro Bustos (no photo)
Finish date: February
Rating B
Review:
To be honest, I am not really sure how to rate this book. I thought this would be a book primarily about Che Guevara, but it was really the author's story which included his time with Guevara in Bolivia.
Ciro Bustos is an Argentinian artist who became involved in the Cuban Revolution, and was inspired by Che Guevara (also Argentinian), who was then working for Castro in Cuba. Bustos went to Cuba to offer his services to the revolution. Guevara liked what he saw and asked Bustos to help bring about the revolution in Argentina, which ended in disaster.
Guevara calls Bustos to Bolivia to plan the next step of the revolution in Bolivia, which we all know from history that again failed before it even got off the ground.
40 years later Bustos tells the real story.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) Samanta wrote: "Karen, good job on the format! One thing though....each book you read has to have it's own post, that is, you can't have multiple books in one post."

Fixed

message 13: by Karen (last edited Jun 19, 2016 04:48PM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) This should have been my first post, but I deleted the first post by mistake.
I will be finishing my around the world tour, and hopefully, A United States tour as well for 2016.

JANUARY
1. The Mountain School by Greg Alder by Greg Alder Greg Alder
Finish date: January
Review:
I really enjoyed this book. After reading a couple of Peace Corps Volunteer books that were not that great, I hesitated to pick this one up. I am so glad I did. Greg Adler decided early on in his time in Lesotho, to make the best of it. To really learn the language, spend time with his students and the villagers. I was impressed that he liked his experience so much that volunteered for another year.

message 14: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Karen wrote: "Samanta wrote: "Karen, good job on the format! One thing though....each book you read has to have it's own post, that is, you can't have multiple books in one post."

Fixed"

Thank you! Love your choice of books, by the way. My ever-growing TBR list is getting some new material. :)

message 15: by Karen (last edited Jun 19, 2016 05:08PM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) Continuing from message 11.
FEBRUARY

11. In Order to Live A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom by Yeonmi Park by Yeonmi Park (no photo)
Review:
Wow, what an amazing story this girl has to tell. Yeonmi Park and her mother escaped from North Korea to China, when they realized that if they didn't leave, they would either starve to death or die in a labor camp. This is one of those stories that I believe everyone in the U.S. needs to read.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 12. Zlata's Diary A Child's Life in Wartime Sarajevo by Zlata Filipović by Zlata Filipović Zlata Filipović
Genre: Memoir/diary
Review:Zlata Filipovic wrote a diary during the Bosnian War from 1991 - 1993, from her home in Sarajevo. She was 11 years old when the war started, and she writes about the war in her diary. She talks of nightly shelling, bomb shelters, hunger and cold. She complains that the combatants don't understand the ordinary people, and their needs. I love that she calls the officials "kids".

This is a book that describes what it is like to be a child in a war zone and I am glad I read this.

message 17: by Karen (last edited Jun 20, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) 13. Perla by Carolina De Robertis by Carolina De Robertis Carolina De Robertis
Review:
I found Carolina De Robertis last year when I was looking for books set in Uruguay, and I read The Invisible Mountain, which I loved. I decided to read Perla, which is set in Argentina, and again, De Robertis' writing is enthralling.

To be honest, I know almost nothing about South America, and I want to read more. Between 1976 and 1983, thousands of people "Disappeared" in Argentina at the hands of a Military dictatorship, in order to remove those in opposition to the government.

The Invisible Mountain by Carolina De Robertis by Carolina De Robertis Carolina De Robertis

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 14. I Am Malala The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai by Malala Yousafzai Malala Yousafzai
Finish date: February 2016
Review:
This is another book that I believe everyone should read. Not only did she tell her story, but also told the story of Pakistan.

message 19: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Karen wrote: "13. Perla by Carolina De Robertis by Carolina De Robertis Carolina De Robertis
Review:
I found Carolina De Robert..."

The story of "Los Desaparecidos" is so sad, but, at the same time, so interesting. A long time ago, I stumbled upon a movie about a mother searching for her daughter that disappeared in that way. I think it was an Italian movie, but I don't remember the name anymore.

message 20: by Douglass, HBC Admin/TL - Economics/Finance/Entrepreneurship (new)

Douglass Gaking | 550 comments Mod
Karen wrote: "14. I Am Malala The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai by Malala YousafzaiMalala Yousafzai
Finish date: Februar..."

I am about halfway through this one, and it is amazing! I agree that it is a must-read for every single human being. She has so much fire, magic, love, faith, and intelligence. Her story and the story of the people of the Swat valley in Pakistan is one that every citizen of the world needs to hear right now, and she writes it masterfully.

message 21: by Brina (new)

Brina I really enjoy your choice of books especially the memoirs and Broken Glass sounds fascinating. I will be adding a few from your list.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) Samanta wrote: "Karen wrote: "13. Perla by Carolina De Robertis by Carolina De Robertis Carolina De Robertis
Review:
I found Caro..."

One of many things that I have learned by reading the world is how little I know, period.

message 23: by Donna (new)

Donna (drspoon) An excellent reading goal, Karen. I have added several to my list, too.

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) MARCH
15. The She-Devil in the Mirror by Horacio Castellanos Moya by Horacio Castellanos Moya Horacio Castellanos Moya

Finish date March 1, 2016
Review: In El Salvador, Laura Rivera has heard about her friend's murder and she must find out who did it. You the reader is her confidant as she attends the funeral ceremonies. The story starts out slowly then builds to almost a manic state. All the while you learn about the Civil War and its aftermath. Thoroughly enjoyed Moya's writing style.

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 16. I, Rigoberta Menchú An Indian Woman in Guatemala by Rigoberta Menchú by Rigoberta Menchú Rigoberta Menchú

Finish date: March
Review:
Rigoberta Menchu grew up in the Highlands of Guatemala and on the coffee and cotton plantations near the coast. When the landowners tried to take the peasant communities' land away from them, Rigoberta's family became involved in organizing a way to protect the community. The Landowners were supported by the army and the government.

Soon Rigoberta was involved in a much wider anti-government movement, to get better and consistent wages for the peasants. Her father was killed by the army, and her mother was later tortured for their roles in trying to bring human rights to the poor. She has had to flee to Mexico to avoid capture by the government, and brought to light the atrocities of the authorizes in Guatemala.

Rigoberta received the Nobel Peace prize in 1992 for her work.

message 26: by Karen (last edited Jun 20, 2016 04:17PM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) 17. (no image) Taiwan Tales: One Country, Eight Stories: A Multicultural Perspective by Patrick Wayland Patrick Wayland

Genre: Short Story
Rating B+
Review:
This collection of short stories set in Taiwan was perfect. It included Fantasy, Dystopian, baseball, even a tourist or two

message 27: by Samanta (last edited Jun 20, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Karen, when there is no book cover (like in your message 26), the format looks like this:

(no image) Taiwan Tales: One Country, Eight Stories: A Multicultural Perspective by Patrick Wayland Patrick Wayland

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) Samanta wrote: "Karen, when there is no book cover (like in your message 26), the format looks like this:

(no image) Taiwan Tales: One Country, Eight Stories: A Multicultural Perspective by [autho..."

Thanks!

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 18. (no image) The Dili Diaries by Lansell Taudevin (no photo)
Genre: Diary
Rating: C
Review: I wish I could have rated this higher, because I think the info is important, but the book needed editing and better formatting for the Kindle.

Taudevin did aid work in East Timor, prior to its independence. He wrote in his diary about the problems on the ground between the Indonesian army and the pro-independent militias, which became horrifically violent, and basically the world turned a blind eye.

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 19. Islands in the Stream by Ernest Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway Ernest Hemingway
Review: This book is made up of three stories, centered around the main character: Tom Hudson, an artist and German submarine chaser. The first section is set in Bimini (Bahamas), very reminiscent of the Old Man and the Sea; the Second section in Cuba, where he spends the time in a bar, and meets some very interesting characters; in the third section Hudson is at sea chasing Germans.
I am glad I re-read this book, I had forgotten quite a bit of the story. To be honest, I felt the section in Bimini was the best of the three, although the At Sea section was very good.

message 31: by Karen (last edited Jun 21, 2016 07:59AM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) 20. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
Review: The main characters Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza fall in love at a young age, but Fermina is destined for another man. Florentino never truly loves another woman, for his heart is set on Fermina. After many years, Fermina's husband dies, the story goes on from there.

I had hoped that I would like this book, but to be honest I found myself to be quite bored by it.

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 21. The Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante by Elena Ferrante (no photo).
Rating: B+
Review:
I read Ferrante's Neapolitan quartet last year, and I decided that I would try to read everything she has written.

Ferrante has the ability to draw you and not let you go. I could not put this book down until I finished it. The book started out slowly and cautiously, but it picked up speed like a freight train that is late arriving.

Olga's husband announced one April afternoon that he was leaving her. It has happened before, so she thought it was just one of those times when he would be gone for a few days. This time he did not come back.

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 22. The Vegetarian by Han Kang by Han Kang Han Kang
Review: I was looking forward to reading this book, since I had read another South Korean author, Kyung-Sook Shin. I had hoped that Han Kang would be just as good, but I was a little disappointed. Maybe it was the translation.

Yeong-hye and her husband live ordinary lives until Yeong-hye starts having nightmares about eating meat. She becomes a strict vegetarian much to the consternation of her family. She slips into insanity.

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 23. Island in the Clouds by Susan M. Toy by Susan M. Toy Susan M. Toy
Genre: mystery
Review:
A very good mystery set in the St. Vincent island of Bequia. Susan Toy creates a wonderful murder mystery on an paradise island where "nothing happens", but also gives a sense of place.

message 35: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Karen wrote: "20. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezGabriel Garcí­a Márquez
Review: The main ch..."

Have you watched the movie. I would like to know what you think of it, now that you read the book.

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) Samanta wrote: "Karen wrote: "20. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezGabriel Garcí­a Márquez
Revie..."

No, I haven't, sorry. Did you? Or did you hear if it was good?

message 37: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) I saw the movie when it first came out, a long time ago now, but never read the book. Back then it was beautiful to me (a high-school girl). I would have to see it again to see what I would think now (and finally read the book). I'm contemplating reading it in the original language just to feel Márquez's prose properly, but it's a big project to undertake.

Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) APRIL

24. In Europe's Shadow Two Cold Wars and a Thirty-Year Journey Through Romania and Beyond by Robert D. Kaplan by Robert D. Kaplan Robert D. Kaplan
Finish date: April
Genre: Travelogue/History
Review:
Robert Kaplan is a journalist that fell in love with Romania, and took many trips over the years to Romania and Eastern Europe. This book is the result of his latest trip to the region and he compares what he saw in 1981, to the Romania of today (published in 2016). This is the first book I have read by this author, so I have no comparison.

To be honest, I wanted to love this book, but I found the book confusing, it was as if he expected us to know the region (and its politicians) and at times I was not quite sure where he was or what time period.

I did enjoy the quotes from Historians, travel authors, and politicians, but it was almost too much of a good thing. I will be reading more about Romania and Eastern Europe, I would like to make it a project, read at least 5 - 8 books in the region, but I have to finish world first,

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 25. A Small Place by Jamaica Kincaid by Jamaica Kincaid Jamaica Kincaid
Review:
Jamaica Kincaid's A Small Place packs a big punch of bitterness and hatred toward the English Slave traders and love for her 12 mile by 9 mile island.

It is an uncomfortable book, because everyone is responsible for the problems in Antigua.

message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 26. The Caucasus An Introduction by Thomas de Waal by Thomas de Waal (no photo)
Review:
Thomas de Waal's book on the Caucasus is very informative. The book focuses on South Caucasus which includes the countries of Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia (as opposed to North Caucasus, which includes Chechnya and Dagestan). The area has been controlled by most recently by Czarist Russia and the Soviet Union.

The book discusses the history of the region, but focuses mainly on events after the breakup of the Soviet Union, and newly formed governments of the three countries (and their contested territories). Although at times I found this book confusing (mainly because the region is confusing), it is a good introduction.

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) Samanta wrote: "I saw the movie when it first came out, a long time ago now, but never read the book. Back then it was beautiful to me (a high-school girl). I would have to see it again to see what I would think n..."

I'll have to see the movie, maybe I would like it better than the book. You may find the original language wonderful, because even the English translation was beautiful, but the book just seemed long to me, even though it is relatively short (compared to 100 Years of Solitude).

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

message 42: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 27. The Railway by Hamid Ismailov by Hamid Ismailov (no photo)
Rating: B-
Review:

I really wanted to love this book, but there were so many things about it that I didn't like. I will give the pros and cons.

The Railway is a story set in Uzbekistan town of Gilas between 1900 and 1980. The Rail Road and the station are central to the story.

Pros: The Railway is a tragic comedy. Indeed there are some very funny scenes. Ismailov is able to incorporate a lot of Uzbek history in this rather concise novel.
Robert Chandler, the translator put in lots of footnotes which really helped.

Cons: There are so many characters in this book, that I had to print out the list of characters in the beginning of the book. I referred to the list up to the end.
The adult language and plot in this book were over the top, and I really felt it was unnecessary to the book.

I did like that Solzhenitsyn, Sartre and Camus made an appearance in this book. Even though I didn't love the book, I am glad I read it.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn,
Jean Paul Sartre (no photo)
Camus Albert (no photo)

message 43: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 28. When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi by Paul Kalanithi Paul Kalanithi
Review: I found this book by way of Abraham Verghese (I would read anything by him, even if it was only on the back of a cereal box). Verghese wrote the Foreward to the book and it was beautiful. The book itself was also beautiful.

Paul Kalinithi couldn't decide if he wanted to be a writer or a Neurosurgeon. He trained to be a Neurosurgeon, but when he was diagnosed with lung cancer, he wrote this book,

Abraham Verghese Abraham Verghese

message 44: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Great progress, Karen and a wonderful diversity of books.

message 45: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 29. Escape from Paradise From Third World to First by John Harding by John Harding (no photo).
Review:
May Chu Harding was born into the Tiger Balm dynasty in Singapore, and this is her story. The book reads like a thriller in many ways. She tells of how poorly women are treated in Singapore, even in the wealthiest of families. The are expected to be submissive even when their fathers and husbands have multiple affairs.
The book also shows the corrupt dealings of the Tiger Balm corporation (note: Tiger Balm has many dealings with the U.S. Navy). and how they have gotten away with so much worldwide.

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 30. On the Beach by Nevil Shute by Nevil Shute Nevil Shute
Review:
On the Beach is a book I have wanted to read for a long time, and back in April, I finally read it. I was not disappointed, and I want to read more of Shute's work.

Radiation from nuclear bombs have wiped out the Northern Hemisphere, and it is slowly moving south.

message 47: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 31, The Disobedient Wife by Annika Milisic-Stanley by Annika Milisic-Stanley (no photo)
Review:
The Disobedient Wife is told through two main characters: Harriet, from Britain, married to a business man who is working in Dushanbe, the capitol of Tajikistan, and Nargis a Tajik woman working as a domestic for Harriet. I really enjoyed this book from both views of an expatriate and a local.
The Book's main topic revolves around the domestic abuse a lot of women in Tajikistan are subject to, and a loss of the equality that they had attained under the Soviet Union (but also discussing some of the difficulties of life under the Russians).

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) MAY

32. My Own Country A Doctor's Story by Abraham Verghese by Abraham Verghese Abraham Verghese
Finish date: May
Review:
My Own Country is the memoir of a doctor who has moved to Johnson City , Tennessee, to practice as an Internist. He has a fascination with Infectious Diseases, and becomes the area's leading expert on AIDS.

I love the Verghese's writing style, he writes so beautifully about medicine. He loves medicine and language, and it comes through in his writing.

message 49: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 33. Tell My Horse Voodoo and Life in Haiti and Jamaica by Zora Neale Hurston by Zora Neale Hurston Zora Neale Hurston
Genre: Travel/Religion
Review:
Interesting travelogue and expose of voodooism in Jamaica and Haiti.

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) 34. The Enigma of the Return by Dany Laferrière by Dany Laferrière Dany Laferrière
Review:
I had a hard time putting this book down. The main character gets a telephone call in Montreal, telling him that his estranged father has died in Brooklyn. Both father and son are from Haiti, both had fled, at different times the violence. The son returns to Haiti after being gone for 30 years.

I loved that this book was written in both verse and prose.

« previous 1