Support for Indie Authors discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 239 comments I'm noticing that some authors who are writing series have also released an omnibus along the way, one volume that includes the first three or four novels in said series. Now that I've just released the third novel in my series, I'm wondering if that's a direction I might want to take.

Authors: if you've done this, what are some of the pros and cons you've encountered in the process?

Readers: Would an omnibus for a series that's at least three or four volumes deep be something you'd be interested in?

message 2: by R. (new)

R. Billing (r_billing) | 228 comments The problem is that the omnibus edition is more expensive than the individual volumes, so doesn't sell as well, but less expensive than a set, so get you less profit.

Readers want to be able to read volume one before deciding to buy two or three.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I have done this for my complete series. I price the set so that there is a significant discount from the individual purchase price (typically 40-50% off). For me, it serves two purposes: to bring in readers who are looking to save money, and to bring in readers who only read complete series.

message 4: by T.A. (new)

T.A. (tahernandez) A friend of mine recently released an omnibus of her 3-book series. She also included a few character interviews, which I thought was kind of cool and might be an extra incentive for people to buy the book. I know some authors sometimes write short stories set in the same world as their series, which could also be included in an omnibus.

message 5: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 239 comments T.A. wrote: "A friend of mine recently released an omnibus of her 3-book series. She also included a few character interviews, which I thought was kind of cool and might be an extra incentive for people to buy ..."

That sounds cool! If I do an omnibus, I might have to do stuff like that.

I think I should clarify: this would not be for the entire series; it would only including the first three or four books. It's something I've seen a couple other indie authors try and was wondering if it would be worth the effort.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Tomlin | 52 comments I'm also considering doing an omnibus later in the year for the first three books in my series, and including bonus material that won't be available for sale on its own. When the series is complete, I'll release a second omnibus to cover the remaining books, and add different bonus material to that.

I figure my only outlays are time, a new isbn and a new cover, which I'll make myself. If I get a few sales out of it, all the better.

message 7: by EJ (new)

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 37 comments T.A. wrote: "A friend of mine recently released an omnibus of her 3-book series. She also included a few character interviews, which I thought was kind of cool and might be an extra incentive for people to buy ..."

*waves* That's me! Honestly I haven't sold a ton of copies of it, which is probably because I haven't done a great job of marketing it and thus most people don't know it exists. But probably the most obvious pro is that it's cheaper than buying all of my books together ($5.99 vs. $2.99+$3.99+$3.99).

There aren't really any cons that I can think of right off hand. I know a few people who read all three books individually have recommended the omnibus to friends rather than have them pay for all three. Overall, it's basically just giving readers another option, and yeah, it's fun to include extra little exclusive things that will either a) entice new readers to buy it or b) provide a little extra entertainment for people who have already read some or all of the books included in it.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments I actually like the idea of an omnibus. Ironically enough the only omnibus I've ever read was also the only Steampunk book I've ever read and I enjoyed both very much.

It's definitely a good idea if you have several books within a series and you want a way to bring them all together for a reader.

message 9: by EJ (new)

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 37 comments I also know another author whose entire series consists of three trilogies. After the first trilogy was done, she put those three books together in an omnibus that included a couple of corresponding short stories and other fun materials. I can only assume she'll do the same with the second trilogy, which is almost complete, and then with the third. Not sure what she'll do when the ENTIRE series is complete, because that would be a massive book and would probably cost a mint for Amazon to deliver to people's devices.