The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Book Chat > Summer Reading Plans

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Jun 18, 2016 09:43AM) (new)

Renee M | 4727 comments Mod
Many people alter their reading choices when the warm weather brings vacation hours. Plus, your Mods have opened up several new Games (and Challenges) to spark your mid-year enthusiasm. Do you have any new reading plans brewing for the summer months?
What do you plan to read this summer?

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I don't usually alter my reading choices depending on the season. Moreover, I have no vacation in summer, on the contrary it's probably the time in which I have more work, along with Christmas. (It's nice to be a freelancer, I know).

I don't have many plans for this coming summer yet, I only know I'm finally going to read House of Leaves in July/August, for a group read with another group. Probably not very summer-y, but I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 3: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1224 comments I tend to go all fluff and chic lit during the summer. Not sure how that is going to go seeing as I just started reading A Feast for Crows. I don't plan at all just whatever comes up that looks good.

message 4: by Tammie (new)

Tammie Tackett I,m doing to summer reading challenge and i read 9 books so far in the list

message 5: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 436 comments I read whatever according to my mood

message 6: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
Summer is usualy slow for my work, excepg for July. and I usualy have more energy, so I read a bit more then in spring and fall

message 7: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I'm going to try to finish up some of the longer challenges. Like the Decade Challenge. And maybe try some of the reading games.

message 8: by Holly, That Geeky One (last edited Jun 20, 2016 08:33AM) (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
I've got several 'criteria' for this summer!

1) Re-read the Harry Potter series (not really a criteria)
2) Read books I actually own
3) Catch up to 'on target' for my reading challenge
4) Read 3 comics

These are my aims at least. Somehow the stack of books on my bookcase has ballooned massively recently. So I'm planning on sitting down over the next few days and going through my bookcase and donating any books that are super old and I know I don't really care for (a lot from when I was in my early teens). So hopefully that'll help me feel a bit more under control with the books I have!

message 9: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 436 comments Good luck with that holly

message 10: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
Good luck, Holly!

There's something about the changing seasons that does affect what kinds of books I feel like reading. Different types feel cozy depending on the weather, I guess. Summer for some reason feels like Dickens and thrillers... interesting mix, but there you go.

When I have some time off work, I look for something special that I might want to read all day (or half the night), since I can. Something by a favorite author or that I've been looking forward to. Something that I would hate to have to stop in the middle for work. I'm not sure what that will be yet this year, but I'll find out soon!

message 11: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra (chibisuke) | 266 comments Good luck, Holly! :)

Last year I did a 'summer bucket list' with books from my TBR pile I wanted to read during the summer. Unfortuantely that didn't work all too well and I ended up only reading about half of the books on the list. Therefore I decided to not plan much this year and just go with the flow. I do plan to focus on everything that isn't YA though. I finally want to get through all the thrillers and classics that are waiting on my shelf. And I need a break from all the YA I read throughout the last 2 years...

message 12: by Holly, That Geeky One (last edited Jun 20, 2016 08:39AM) (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
I added another bit, to read 3 comics!

There'es loads I want to get into, so I'd love to start with:

Gotham City Sirens, Volume 1: Union
Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology
Alias, Vol. 1

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Right now I am reading two Net galley ones: Typewriter in the Sky and Welcome to Deadland, two library books: between the lines and zodiac legacy the dragon's return and I will go from there.

message 14: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments I'll working on Bookopoly to reduce my TBR and finish the TBR Challenge. Thought I wouldn't have time to read with my 2-week old baby, but he eats so much I can read when I'm feeding him (poor thing already has a book in his face all day long!).

message 15: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Lol! More kids need to see their parents reading! In using Bookopoly in almost the same way. :)

message 16: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 437 comments Camille wrote: "I'll working on Bookopoly to reduce my TBR and finish the TBR Challenge. Thought I wouldn't have time to read with my 2-week old baby, but he eats so much I can read when I'm feeding him (poor thin..."

It's amazing how much reading you can do when feeding small babies! So long as you aren't too tired to concentrate of course. Glad to hear he's feeding well.

message 17: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments Sonia wrote: "Camille wrote: "I'll working on Bookopoly to reduce my TBR and finish the TBR Challenge. Thought I wouldn't have time to read with my 2-week old baby, but he eats so much I can read when I'm feedin..."

Yes, I only read during the day or early evening feeds. At night, I just try not to fall asleep on the poor baby ;-) Thanks!

We're raising him bilingual as well, so he's been read to in two languages!

message 18: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Camille, that is awesome! What language are you reading to him in other then English?

message 19: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments Jenny wrote: "Camille, that is awesome! What language are you reading to him in other then English?"

We're doing French (my first language) and English (husband's first language and we live in Scotland). We'll also do a bit of Gaelic, but we're not fluent so it'll just be a little bit.

message 20: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Camille, that's really cool! What a smart boy you will have!

message 21: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments I wouldn't say I modify my reading habits for the summer itself, but I do modify my reading habits for vacations a bit to read more fluff books that I can start and finish in between activities.

And of course, I limit myself to my kindle on vacations too so I don't have to take around a bunch of books.