The Reading Challenge Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mini Challenge Archive 2014-2016 > Fruit Salad (Summer 2016)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Jun 18, 2016 09:08AM) (new)

Renee M | 4727 comments Mod
Nothing says summer like a cool, sweet slice of watermelon.

For this challenge, read one book with fruit in the title before summer's end. (September 20)

Examples:
Watermelon
James and the Giant Peach
Strawberry Girl
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe

message 2: by Allison, Quest Hound (last edited Jun 18, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
Seems like the perfect time for a fluffy, light book like The Peach Keeper.

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

message 3: by Jackie (last edited Jun 18, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Jackie The 2016 Reading Challenge Group

Mini Challenges > NEW! Fruit Salad (Summer 2016)

June 2016 to September 20, 2016

I'll have Southern Peach Pie and a Dead Guy by A. Gardner.

Southern Peach Pie and a Dead Guy (Poppy Peters, #1) by A. Gardner

message 4: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
I'm going to read Home on Apple Blossom Road

message 5: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Possibilities from my TBR:

Orange is the New Black
Vampires in the Lemon Grove
Apple Tree Yard
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Tomorrow there Will be Apricots

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments Raspberry Jam by Carolyn Wells. This is a locked room, supernatural mystery written in the 1920's. Looked interesting so I will mix it in the fruit salad.

message 7: by Clare (last edited Jun 26, 2016 09:19AM) (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 98 comments I'll add some mango to this mix.
I'm going to read The House on Mango Street

Edit: Read 26/06

message 8: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I'm going with Who moved my Blackberry? (I'll link later.) This fruit salad is starting to look delish!

message 9: by Tracey (new)

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments Finished Raspberry Jam by Carolyn Wells. This was a very disappointing mystery. You have to read 40 percent of the book before a murder happens. Also did not like the characters. Anyway I added some raspberries to the fruit salad.

message 11: by Cindy (last edited Jul 10, 2016 02:20PM) (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments This challenge makes me hungry, I feel like I should buy some fruit and make a fruit salad. I was wondering what it would taste like if I used the fruit from this challenge. We would mix raspberries, apples, peaches, mango, oranges and blackberries.

message 12: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Sorry to hear the mystery was a disappointment, Cindy. But the fruit salad sounds delicious!

message 13: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I finished The Peach Keeper. There was not as much magical realism as I hoped from Sarah Addison Allen - and not enough peaches, either!

message 14: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Jul 30, 2016 05:08PM) (new)

Finished Who Moved My Blackberry? a while back but forgot to update. Just kinda meh. Maybe it would have been funnier if I worked in a corporation.

message 15: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments Just finished Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris. I loved all of the twists and turns throughout - a great read!

message 16: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I have the audiobook for Orange is the New Black, so have settled on that one. I decided to ditch the PopSugar challenge because it is keeping me from too many fun-looking mini-challenges! I'm stopping with 27/41 finished. Close enough. :-)

Mindy

message 17: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Orange is the New Black sounds perfect for this. We designed PopSugar challenge for you to set your own goal... Not necessarily finish the whole challenge.

message 18: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I had set my own goal to finish the whole challenge like I did last year. But now let's just say my goal was to finish 27 tasks. haha

message 19: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments I just finished Out of Orange A Memoir by Cleary Wolters - Out of Orange: A Memoir by Cleary Wolters, who is the person the Alex Vause character is based on. It was interesting to read her perspective of the incidents that led to their incarceration.

message 20: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Nice, we have a theme going! In the book Orange is the New Black, Cleary/Alex is called Nora. I really enjoyed the book, even more than I do the Netflix series. Kerman is a very good writer...and the series has gotten pretty way out this season.

Thanks for the challenge, Renee.

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Definitely a team effort. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

message 22: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

I read Home on Apple Blossom Road It was a cute book.

message 23: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Aww. That does look sweet. I need to recommend it for my sister. She's a big mush ball.

message 24: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

I almost cried at some parts, with the grandma having died (Not a spoiler, it's in the first like two paragraphs) but overall, it was very sweet.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.