You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Toppler Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jun 18, 2016 08:57AM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments This topic should be used for any questions during the Toppler regarding books or whatever.

message 2: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments For those of you reading a book for the Pat Harrington Jr and Ken Howard task of cozy mystery, please be sure you know what a cozy is.

Cozy myseries very rarely focus on sex, profanity or violence. The murders take place off stage, and are often relatively bloodless (e.g. poisoning), while sexual activity (if any) between characters is only ever gently implied and never directly addressed. They usually takes place in a small town or village, and the sleuth is usually an amateur.

message 3: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 246 comments Thanks for your help, jaxnsmom! Where would we find the definitions that are being used for all of the categories - things like the cozy mystery, 'dealing with a mental health issue', contemporary versus non-contemporary romance, 'larger than life character' , 'centred around family'? These categories seemed open to interpretation, but I'm realizing they do have definitions - I just haven't seen them. I'm hesitant to pick one now in case I read a book that I think will fit, but does't.

message 4: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Most are open to interpretation and are pretty lenient. The cozy mystery one is different because it is a specific type of mystery. I probably should have put a definition with the task, but I'm so used to cozies and I know there are a few enthusiastic cozy readers here, so it didn't occur to me. Any books you have questions about, please feel free to ask. In case I'm not available, one of the other mods should be around.

Mental health includes depression, bipolar, ocd, panic disorder, and others. Mental health problems can cover a broad range of disorders, but the common characteristic is that they all affect the affected person's personality, thought processes or social interactions. (from mentalhealth.gov) I didn’t use the term mental illness so the definition would be broader.
Contemporary romance - let's say within 20 years. That would be different from a historical romance.
Larger than life - someone whose personality overshadows those around them, not due to their job, wealth, or any physical attribute.
Family centered - involves a family in some way, maybe a dysfunctional one, or blending two families. It’s pretty open. A book I’m reading is about a woman whose husband had a traumatic brain injury and she’s trying to still be family and live on her own.

If you can find something to substantiate your book meeting a task - a definition of the topic, mention in an article - then I'll allow the book. A lot of members use the internet to help their argument.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions or more clarification.

message 5: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 246 comments That's great! Thank you so much - it does help.

message 6: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I'm glad I read the definition about "larger than life." I was going to read The BFG which is about a giant. Now I'll read something else for the toppler.

message 7: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Whew! *wiping sweaty forehead*

Although it does count as fantasy if you still want to read it.

message 8: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Whew! *wiping sweaty forehead*

Although it does count as fantasy if you still want to read it."

Oh yeah! Thanks!

message 9: by Amanda (Mandy) (new)

Amanda (Mandy) | 648 comments BFG would also count as being made into a movie. The movie just came out this month.

message 10: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments I would like to read The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais. I think it should qualify as action/adventure for Glen Frey, but I just want to double-check. Does it?

message 11: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I'm sorry Casceil, but I'd have to say no. It sounds like this is more of a murder mystery. I think of action/adventure type books as spy novels, or Raiders of the Lost Ark type - Lee Child, Clive Cussler, Vince Flynn. There might be killing, but it's not about the murder.

message 12: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments Well, good thing I checked. Is there a category for mysteries that are not cozies? I assume "true crime" means based on something that actually happened.

message 13: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Not on their own, so they'd have to qualify for another task.

Yes, true crime is based on a real life crime.

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments I was pretty sure that the question about graphic novels had already been asked but I can't seem to find it ...... I think graphic novels are allowed with a higher page count, right?

I'm looking at Nimona which has 272 pages

message 15: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Lynn wrote: "I was pretty sure that the question about graphic novels had already been asked but I can't seem to find it ...... I think graphic novels are allowed with a higher page count, right?

I'm looking ..."

I think it's in our thread Lynn.

message 16: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments Oh right! lol

message 17: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Mixing it up on you ;)

message 18: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments I'm confused. The rules say the toppler ends Sunday, June 25. I'm sitting here on Saturday, June 25, and wondering, "Are we done yet?" Others seem to think so, and I thought so when I went to bed last night, but now I'm not sure.

message 19: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jun 25, 2016 08:45AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments It's over in 15 mins, right?
2am Sunday to 2am Sunday? (my time)

message 20: by Annerlee (last edited Jun 25, 2016 08:49AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Yep...think so...
My countdown to midday today is here...

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/...

message 21: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments Here is what the rules say:
You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion
TBR Topplers > For Those We Lost

Comments (showing 1-50 of 77) post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom, Moderator (last edited Jun 11, 2016 06:26PM)
Jun 04, 2016 08:06PM

jaxnsmom | 7141 comments
photo 52b1c6ff-9704-44ed-9cd1-cd69d315e11d_zpszue2sy03.jpg

The Toppler will be noon Saturday, June 18th, to noon Sunday, June 25th, EDT.

In 15 minutes it will be noon Saturday, June 25 EDT. So either the "Sunday" part or the date part can't be right. I've been going by the date part.

message 22: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Fair enough. I never look at dates due to time zones, so I never noticed.
I'm going by the 7 day rule as usual. Crashing now (at 1.50am) and we'll see if I can squeeze in another book in the morning ;)

Good toppling all, no matter what happens in the morning.

message 23: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments Rusalka, I think you are right, and the usual rule is 7 days. Probably what was meant was Saturday, June 25. But I thought I should check in case I can squeeze another book in.

message 24: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Sorry - it should be Satuday!

message 25: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments The Toppler has ended now. I hope everyone read something good.

I overslept and am semifunctioning now.

message 26: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments It was a great toppler, Jmom. Thanks for setting it up.

message 27: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments This was my favorite toppler so far, thank you Jmom!

message 28: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Great TopplerJmom! I read some good books and I'm happy to get them off of my TBR list. I don't think I added more than three new ones, so I'm happy.

message 29: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Cherie - only 3? You must have done something wrong. Did you resist checking out most of the other books?

message 30: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Good Toppler everybody!
I could not do more than one book, but it was challenging

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments It was a great toppler! Thanks Jmom.

I read 5 books which is the most I have ever read in a week :)

message 32: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Lisa wrote: "It was a great toppler! Thanks Jmom.

I read 5 books which is the most I have ever read in a week :)"

Awesome, Lisa!!!!

message 33: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments I had a great time as usual, J'mom. Thank you for all your hard work!

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Awesome toppler, j'mom!

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Another great toppler j'mom. I set a personal best with 6 books read. I was nice playing tribute to people :-)

message 36: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Thanks Jmom!!

message 37: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1848 comments Thanks for another great toppler, Jmom!

message 38: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Thanks everybody! I have to say, after setting this one up, the next one's going to be all about happy thoughts and books about flowers and unicorns and twinkly stars and rainbows and candy. ☺

message 39: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Good thinking J'mom. Whenever I get stressed or upset my partner often says "flowers and trees, flowers and trees" so that would be perfect!

message 40: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments Yes, "nature" might be a good theme.

message 41: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments In the poultry community, there is a thing called "Fluffy Butt Friday" (google images for me (although it's been taught for poultry) is very safe for work and full of happy pictures). It totally clears your brain after the week, and makes you feel happy. Sounds like you need a fluffy butt friday Toppler, Jmom.

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments

message 43: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Exactly, Janice :D

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments I like the fluffy head too.

message 45: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Love the fluffy butt friday :-)

message 46: by Lisa (last edited Jun 26, 2016 02:59PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Thanks for making us aware of "Fluffy Butt Friday", Rusalka. It has cheered me up no end! :)

message 47: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Love Fluffy Butt day and that's a great picture Janice!

message 48: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Yes, Jmom. I have refrained from reading the other team's threads to keep from seeing their books. I know I will read them and try to resist looking at the books at some point though. Resistance is futile. I have jumped back to my previously started books to keep busy. I finished two already and am 1/2 way through The Girl who wrote in Silk.

message 49: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Thanks everybody! I have to say, after setting this one up, the next one's going to be all about happy thoughts and books about flowers and unicorns and twinkly stars and rainbows and candy. ☺"

Hmmm...I wonder if I can remake Candyland...all sweetness with a little torture mixed in :)

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Oh j'mom - you SweetTart!

« previous 1

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The BFG (other topics)
The Monkey's Raincoat (other topics)
Nimona (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert Crais (other topics)