Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

July-August 2016 Hex > Hex Overall Impressions (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Put your overall impressions here.

message 2: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 270 comments The author note at the end was interesting. The first line basically answered what I was thinking as I finished the story.

Also how cool is it that he changed the whole setting, climax, and ending in the English version?? Bet that character didn't let those people burn! Wonder what happened in the Dutch version?

message 3: by Debra (new)

I'm curious about the Dutch version, too, Larissa!

Great horror story, overall. I was anxious all the way through and on the edge of my seat.

message 4: by Missy (new)

Missy | 128 comments Isn't that the perfect recommendation though?? It kept you on the edge of your seat??

message 5: by Debra (last edited Jul 15, 2016 06:05AM) (new)

Well, it did what it was intended to do: give me a good scare. So I'd recommend it as a good horror book. And I love books with the kind of ending it had.

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments This book is one of my absolute favorites now. There are talks of it being turned into a TV show, so YAY! And I also would love to know the Dutch ending. Wonder how we could find out?

message 7: by Missy (new)

Missy | 128 comments Yes, I read that Warner Brothers has bought it and intends to make it into a series for television.

message 8: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 270 comments Oh god then I'll really have nightmares!

message 9: by Debra (new)

That would be one creepy series!

message 10: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments It's been a long time since a book has scared me as much as this one. I'm glad I'm finished because I think I have sleep deprivation.

I was all prepared to give this 5 stars until the last few chapters when chaos reigned. It was just a bit over the top for my taste.

I enjoyed reading the author's note. He's quite humourous. I also would like to know how the Dutch book ended.

message 11: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I'm moving on to read something much lighter and funnier. A balance is needed.

message 12: by Debra (new)

There was no one in that town to take charge and end the chaos. They brought it on themselves. I can see how you'd want something lighter to read right now, Janice!

message 13: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I agree, Manda. I'm still a bit spooked at night.

message 14: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 270 comments *Halloween costume 2016* :D

message 15: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Larissa wrote: "*Halloween costume 2016* :D"

Don't come knocking on my door. Hahaha!

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 24 comments I wonder if Wikipedia has anything on the Dutch version. A tv version would be like watching a season of American Horror Story, everybody dies. I did not have nightmares, but I did not read it at night. Also, I've encountered his tropes in other novels, so not shocking...just relentless, when piled on. I did like his writing style, and he was witty & humorous, at the beginning. But he left me with nothing and no one at the end, and he killed the dog. So, not a favorite read for me. Interesting, but ultimately heartless, and over the top, as Janice said.

message 17: by Debra (new)

Yeah, killing the dog devastated me.