Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive YA/Children Group Read > Planning Site - Children's/YA Up to October 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 251 (251 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Jun 30, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Rosemarie | 8764 comments Mod
Thank you for all those who volunteered to lead book discussions. The response has been wonderful. I am compiling this list of books that would be suitable and interesting for the monthly discussions and would like to hear your suggestions.
1. The books should be children's, YA or adult classics suitable for under 18's. The book must be at 40 years old.
2. The book should not be too long, not more than 400 pages. Many of our members are busy with work, school or family so reading time is limited for them.
3. Books translated from other languages are welcome!
4. If there is a long book that you really like, you can start a Buddy Read thread with a flexible time frame.

message 2: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Regarding the length of the book, if a book is a bit longer than 400 pages or if it is really popular with the group we will consider it. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is longer than that but has appeared on the reader's poll many times, indicating that many members would be interested in reading it.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Jul 31, 2016 06:43PM) (new)

Here is a list of our volunteers, in order of volunteering:
1. Paige
2. Gem -A Wrinkle in Time
3. Julius - Lord of the Flies
4. Rachel - Northanger Abbey
5. Robin Bo - The Diary of Anne Frank
6. Nivedetha
7. Juhi
8. Svetlana

Here is the schedule of our first four group reads:

July 15 to August 14--Gem
August 15 to September 14--Paige
September 15 to October 14--Julius
October 15 to November 14--Robin Bo

message 4: by Robin Bo (new)

Robin Bo (robideg) Hi all,

I found two that seemed interesting that I have never heard of:

1. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
2. A Wrinkle in Time by L'Engle, Madeleine

message 5: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Jun 19, 2016 06:33PM) (new)

Robin Bo,
Thank you for your quick response. Your second suggestion is excellent, in fact,
Gem is going to lead a discussion of A Wrinkle in Time in the near future. I remember reading it for the first time in elementary school and how much I liked it.
I read From the mixed-up files... not that long ago. It is a fun read, but lacks the depth needed for a book discussion. You can read it in a few hours, especially on a hot summer day. I have read many books by E.L. Konigsburg and enjoyed them all.

message 6: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Jun 23, 2016 06:53AM) (new)

message 7: by Robin Bo (new)

Robin Bo (robideg) What about the Diary of Anne Frank? I lived in the Netherlands for 11 years and have, as yet, not read it.

Wandered around the neighbourhood often enough but never read the book.

message 8: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Robin Bo, that is a wonderful idea. Would you be willing to lead the discussion, sometime in the fall? I have not read it for years and would love to read it again.

message 9: by Robin Bo (new)

Robin Bo (robideg) Sounds good!

message 10: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Great. I was in Amsterdam only for a day at the beginning of a Rhine cruise and saw the Anne Frank house from the outside. It has become very touristy and there was an enormous line waiting to get in. I think reading her diary will be a much more meaningful experience.

message 11: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Just to let you know that suggestions from all members are most welcome. I am interested in learning about all the classic books, suitable for this group, that group members are interested in reading.

message 12: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Jun 23, 2016 06:55AM) (new)

I have thought of some more classics that are suitable and interesting:

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Gulliver's Travels Books 1 and 2 by Jonathan Swift
Hiroshima by John Hersey

Books by Lucy Maud Montgomery the author of Anne of Green Gables and many more wonderful books.

message 13: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Since we have decided a YA book can be a classic at 40 years we have two more books to add to our list:

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Chocky by John Wyndham in which we meet the most adorable alien ever.

message 14: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

There are some books that keep appearing on the monthly polls and come close to winning, but never quite make it. They are:

Little Women

Gulliver's Travels

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

I am looking for discussion leaders for these three books, in any order.

The first available time slot is August 15-September 14.

The next is not until November 15-December 14.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in leading a discussion of any of these books.

message 15: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

If anyone would ever like to lead a discussion of The Little Prince(Le petit Prince ) by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, please let me know. It is a wonderful little book.

message 16: by Saphia210 (new)

Saphia210 | 68 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Since we have decided a YA book can be a classic at 40 years we have two more books to add to our list:

Chocky by [author:..."

I think The Outsiders is a fantastic book, and so is Black Beauty. I'm not so sure about The Scarlet Letter, personally. A Wrinkle in Time is also one of my favorite books, but is From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler too easy? It is pretty short for a month's reading, and lower in reading level than the other books.
However, it is a great book, and I like all of the suggestions, speaking as a teenager.
Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to lead any discussions for the next couple of months because I will be quite busy with studying and extracurricular.

message 17: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Jul 06, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Saphia210 wrote: "Rosemarie wrote: "Since we have decided a YA book can be a classic at 40 years we have two more books to add to our list:

[book:Chocky|1..."

Saphia, we have a few vounteers lined up but there will certainly be other opportunities later on when you are not so busy. Flexibility is the key. I had a high school geography teacher who kept telling us "Organization is the key." His desk was so messy he couldn't find anything.
Can you think of any books that we might read in the future?

message 19: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Great list, Gem. A lot of my favourites are on your list, some of which I haven't read for years.

message 20: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

The book is much better. My favourite Roald Dahl book is Jame and the Giant Peach.

message 21: by Robin Bo (new)

Robin Bo (robideg) I have great memories of George's Marvellous Medicine!

message 22: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

That is going on my to-read list, Robin Bo.

message 23: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments Kimberly - wrote: "I like your choice of book Gem. I wouldn't mind reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I have, to be honest, I have only seen the movies, and just saw the Tim Burton one the other d..."
Thanks! There are so many books (children's, ya, and classics) I never did read sigh. I was reading so much more before I started watching the grandkiddos.

message 24: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I know what you mean, Gem. But they grow so quickly. I have my grandson 2 days a week and he is on summer holidays right now(he is 5) and even though Grandpa is now retired too, I don't read while he is here--I stay up late instead!

message 25: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I know what you mean, Gem. But they grow so quickly. I have my grandson 2 days a week and he is on summer holidays right now(he is 5) and even though Grandpa is now retired too, I don't read while ..."

I get up early, anywhere between 5 and 6 am so that I can have a couple of hours solitude to read while everyone else is asleep. My Mister is a night owl, and after spending all day with grandkiddos evening is our time to "reconnect". Some mornings 5 o'clock comes so early, lol.

message 26: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments I know what you mean Gem, I didn't read much of these books as a kid. My parents couldn't get me to read anything, but the magazine Big Bopper, so instead of knowing all the great children's literature I can tell you all about the life of Kirk Cameron. :) ..."

Within about two or three years of discovering I enjoyed reading (I guess I was about 10) I started reading "adult" books. My mom had a friend who would loan me historical novels. I skipped over the things most kids read. I'm now experiencing my second childhood through book! grinz

message 27: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments Kimberly - wrote: "❀✿ Gem ✿❀ wrote: "I'm now experiencing my second childhood through book! grinz"

What a beautiful sentiment Gem. When I did get into novels, I too went straight to the adult history books. I have ..."

Thank you!

message 28: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments There is now a dedicated book shelf for young adult/children's classics. If there are any glaring errors, please let me know and I'll make the corrections. I did not intend to list graphic novels... just sayin', lol.

message 29: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Paige will be leading our next book discussion, starting August 15. She has chosen a wonderful, funny Jane Austen book-Northanger Abbey.

message 30: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Aug 17, 2016 06:43AM) (new)

To those members who volunteered as leaders and any new volunteers, I will be setting up a new schedule beginning in November. I would really appreciate it if those who have volunteered already please contact me again and let me know if you are still interested in leading a discussion. If you would like to recommend a book at the same time, feel free to do so.

message 31: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Kimberley will be leading our discussion Nov 15 to December 15. The book will be Anne of Green Gables.

message 32: by Elin (new)

Elin MehrAsa | 1 comments Hi!
Anne of Green Gables is very interesting and I like it so much.
but what a bout the Stories of Hans Christian Andersen?

message 33: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Would you be interested in leading the discussion following Anne Of Green Gables, Beacon?
Fairy tales would be a perfect choice around Christmas time when students are busy with exams, others with work or preparations for the holidays. There are also some of his fairy tales with a Christmas theme. You could choose the fairy tales you like and other readers might like to share their favourites with us too.
Great idea, Beacon!

message 34: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I am looking for suggestions for future book reads, and also volunteers to lead discussions in the new year.
Please post in this thread if you are interested in either, or both.

message 35: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments I'd be glad to lead a discussion or even a few throughout the year.

I've been wanting to read the following: Mary Poppins, The Secret Garden, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Grimm's Fairy Tales, Gulliver's Travels, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

message 36: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

That is great, Gem. How about Feb-Mar? We will be doing Of Mice and Men in Jan-Feb, so something more fun would be good-maybe The Secret Garden, The Wizard of Oz or Gulliver's Travels.

message 37: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments February is good... can we do Gulliver's Travels?

message 38: by Robin Bo (new)

Robin Bo (robideg) I'd be happy to lead one again if you'll have me! The Secret Garden remains one of my all time favourite books!

message 39: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Gem, that would be great.
Robin Bo, The Secret Garden will be in March/ April. I plan to reread it then.

Thank you to both of you for volunteering.

message 40: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited May 19, 2017 05:09AM) (new)

Lesle | 5397 comments Mod
Rosemarie
Wonderful suggestions and thank you Volunteers!

I would love to join in on The Secret Garden
One that has been on my TBR pile forever. I love the movies and Im sure I will love the book as well!

message 41: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I love The Secret Garden too. I have still not read A Little Princess.

message 42: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

I would love to read that one as well. I do not have it so I need to put that on my to find list!

message 43: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments Rosemarie have you decided what is being read for Dec/Jan yet?

message 44: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

We will be reading Little Women, since it doing so well in the polls. The Snow Queen will probably be the international book and the winner looks like The Christmas Carol. I finallh got a lovely used copy of Little
Women for myself, so I am really looking forward to reading it for the first time.

message 45: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments Thank you. I've not read Little Women before... well I attempted it as a teen or tween but it didn't hold my interest then, I hope it will now.

message 46: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

As a Canadian, I read a lot of the Lucy Maud Montgomery books.

message 47: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Mar 30, 2017 02:05PM) (new)

Here is the updated schedule:

Completed book: Of Mice and Men - Juhi
Completed book: Gulliver's Travels- Gem
Mar/April book: The Secret Garden- Robin Bo
April/May: Little House on the Prairie - Lesle
(and any other books in this series that members would like to comment on)
I am rereading all the books in the Little House series this year, in order.
May/June: The Story of My Life by Helen Keller Rosemarie
June/July:Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers Robin Bo
July/August: The Children of the New Forest by Frederick Marryat Tracey

message 48: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Rosemarie
A nice list to start the year off!

message 49: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Thanks. Our members have come up with a wide variety of books to read.

message 50: by Gem (new)

Gem  | 159 comments I am so excited for the next few month's reads.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6