Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #1)
This topic is about Blood of Elves
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > New Mod Special - Blood of Elves

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roger | 1998 comments Mod
The new Mod special book for the next two months is going to be a tied in with the very popular game The Witcher and that book is going to be the Blood of Elves. Please feel free to discuss the book and the game.

message 2: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Ashamed to admit I've never played the game. :-!

message 3: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Literally just about to continue playing Witcher 3 :D

I have one of the Witcher books (Last Wish I think) but not this one :(

message 4: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rinn wrote: "Literally just about to continue playing Witcher 3 :D

I have one of the Witcher books (Last Wish I think) but not this one :("

The Last Wish is a prequel, I figured we would start with the main story but am willing to change if enough people think the prequel is a better place to start.

message 5: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1734 comments Blood of Elves is shown as Book 3. Where should we start?

message 6: by Kimberley (new) - added it

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny are part one and two of the witcher saga. They are prequel collections of short stories before the happenings of Blood of Elves. The third installment is where the 'real' storyline starts, so to speak. So, part one & two are no prerequisites. Thought I'd clear it up!

message 7: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1734 comments That clears up the "starting in the middle" anxiety. :)

message 8: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new) - added it

Freya (flamecat) | 1810 comments Mod
Not played or read any before! Whenever I see Witcher deals on Steam I am torn between being a chicken over playing it alone, and it looking cool and wanting it :)

message 9: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I really have to set up steam at some point. I stopped all gaming with parenthood.

message 10: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike (mikenl) I've read the prequels The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, and they were nice to read because they answered some questions of Geralt's past which I had after playing the Witcher 3. However I think Blood of Elves is a good place to start, because that is where the story really starts. Besides that, Blood of Elves is on my to read list, so it would be nice to read this book with the group :) .

message 11: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Damn I also have Sword of Destiny apparently! Just not this one :P

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick | 110 comments Excellent, i'm all for this one ;) I'm a big fan of the Witcher games and i've had this book sitting around for ages waiting for me to get around to reading it. Maybe this will be the prod I needed.

message 13: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike wrote: "I've read the prequels The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, and they were nice to read because they answered some questions of Geralt's past which I had after playing the Witcher 3. However I think ..."

This is how I felt as well Mike, I read the first prequel before playing the game and didn't think it was anything special (I'm not a short story fan so not all that surprising really) then I played the game and re-read the prequels and tore through them. They were much better the second time.

Also, thank you Mike for clearing up the confusion on this being a book 3, I didn't make it too clear in the original post and I was away this weekend.

Freya and Paul, I absolutely recommend playing this game, it's soooooo good.

message 14: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike (mikenl) Roger wrote: "Also, thank you Mike for clearing up the confusion on this being a book 3, I didn't make it too clear in the original post and I was away this weekend.."

Correction, the thanks should go to Kimberley, who explained it before me in a very clear way ;) .

message 15: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike wrote: "Roger wrote: "Also, thank you Mike for clearing up the confusion on this being a book 3, I didn't make it too clear in the original post and I was away this weekend.."

Correction, the thanks shoul..."

whoops

message 16: by Lel (new) - added it

Lel (lelspear) | 1800 comments Can you read the book with complete ignorance of the game or the previous books? Or is it one that you need the background for?

message 17: by Ryan (new) - added it

Ryan Are the first two books really prequels? It looks like they were also written before this one.

message 18: by Kimberley (new) - added it

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) @Lel Most of the books were written before the game actually! The games are based on the books and not the other way around ^-^

message 19: by Lel (new) - added it

Lel (lelspear) | 1800 comments Cool thanks Kimberley

message 20: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 641 comments I don't really do the whole video game thing, but the book sounds interesting. I shall have to try to make time for it.

message 21: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan wrote: "Are the first two books really prequels? It looks like they were also written before this one."

They may have been written before but they are a prequel to the main story arch which starts in the third book. The first two books are a collection of short stories about Geralt and not necessary for the main story of the book.

message 22: by Ryan (new) - added it

Ryan Thanks Roger

message 23: by LittleBookDruid (new)

LittleBookDruid | 89 comments But I haven't played the games. Will that be a hurdle in reading experience... :(
Otherwise I have saw my brother playing it sometimes and definitely would love to read it....

message 24: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
The book precedes the game so shouldn't be a problem

message 25: by LittleBookDruid (new)

LittleBookDruid | 89 comments Thanks, I am the most excited for this book for some reason... :D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.