Mental Health Bookclub discussion

House of Leaves
This topic is about House of Leaves
Archive > July/August Non-MH Group Read - House of Leaves

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Our non-mental health read for July/August is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

A few purchase options
Amazon UK: £19.04 new on Paperback, from £12.62 used on Paperback
Amazon US: $11.86 new on Paperback, from $6.45 used on Paperback
WHSmith UK: £19.04 paperback
Abe Books UK: From £11.50 new on paperback, from £9.70 used on paperback
Barnes & Noble: $12.49 paperback

Discussions will start 1st July

message 2: by Martha (last edited Jun 28, 2016 01:56AM) (new)

Martha (marthais) Hi all,

As this is a horror book, I'm not going to be able to read it - horror tends to send my anxiety a bit haywire!

Therefore, I'm looking for a discussion leader for this book. There's very little involved - as you can see from May/June, I basically just started a handful of threads to discuss some key themes that feature in the book. I'm happy to support you with some ideas, I just don't want to read the book itself! :)

As it's a July/August book, I would ideally like the threads to be going up mid-late July; if you want to put them up earlier that's absolutely fine, but no obligation.

Reply here, or send me a private message if you would like to volunteer or have any questions

Thanks!

Martha

Marina (sonnenbarke) Hey Martha, I can help you on this, although I'm not 100% sure how this has to be done. Do I just need to set up a few threads to discuss the book? Or is there something more involved? Just let me know, I'd be happy to do this.

I don't usually read horror books myself, but I was so intrigued by this one as I've heard it's such a great novel! Moreover, I bought it just after reading S., a book I truly loved, as I'd heard them compared quite often, mainly for the books' structure.

It's quite a long book, but I hope I'll be able to set up the threads by mid-late July.

message 4: by Martha (last edited Jun 28, 2016 05:21AM) (new)

Martha (marthais) Fab, thanks for volunteering!

Yes it is literally just setting up a few threads - I'm happy to set them up if you just send me the text for them, or you can set them up if you have the time, totally up to you. Also if you want to bounce any ideas off me in terms of turning themes into discussion prompts, also happy to help with that; but to be fair, you're always great at getting discussions going, so I'm also happy to leave you to it - up to you!

As it's fiction, we'd just need to mark any threads as spoilers or no spoilers (e.g. with All the Bright Places, we had one for people who had just started - no spoilers - and another for those who had finished - spoilers etc.) so that the other readers can post their thoughts without ruining it for others who haven't finished yet

Thanks again!

Martha

message 5: by Marina (last edited Jun 28, 2016 05:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marina (sonnenbarke) Haha, thanks for that, Martha, glad to know you think I'm good at getting discussions going :-)

No problem, I can set up the threads myself, but I may have to ask for your advice as to how to turn themes into discussion prompts. I'll let you know with a private message if this will be the case.

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) No probs, look forward to it!