Star Trek discussion

Memory Alpha (books & comics) > Epic Novel Read Through

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Maddox (leogarlian) | 9 comments Hi, I'm new to the group and thought i would say hello if anyone is still around that is as it does seem a little on the quiet side.

Anyway, as its the 50th anniversary this year and I’ve been way behind on my star trek reading, I decided to do an epic read of all the current novel continuity books. I’m using the Trek Lit Flow Chart and have made a (roughly) chronological order list that I am currently reading my way through. Not sure if this is a good idea as I didn’t realise how many books there would be but I am loving it and it has definitely reignited my love of Star Trek.

Has anyone else done this before? Are some of the newer novels worth it? What are some of the best novels in your opinion? Hope to hear from people :)

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg (greggorio) | 11 comments Hello Andrew. Maybe we are the only members left in this group. I never realised how empty deep space (Nine) can be. Anyway i have been reading some of the new release TOS novels and they have been mostly excellent. Some of these were... BURNING DREAMS (focusing on the life and career of Chris Pike) and MIASMA as well as THE LATTER FIRE. I tend to write detailed reviews here if you are keen for more information. Hope this helps.

\\//

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Maddox (leogarlian) | 9 comments That's a shame, I was really looking forward to interact with an active group who were interested in the books. Thanks for the recommendations though and I will definitely check out your reviews. I've heard good things about The Latter Fire and am a big fan of James Swallows writing style. Thanks :)

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg (greggorio) | 11 comments Theres a group on FB called STAR TREK BOOKS DISCUSSION you might enjoy.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Maddox (leogarlian) | 9 comments Cool I'll check it out. Thank you again :)

message 6: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 116 comments There are a few of us still around, but it has been pretty quiet here of late.

Been trying to get back into Trek reading, have been on a kick where I've been reading the books that Q shows up in.
Haven't decided what to read after that.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Maddox (leogarlian) | 9 comments Yeah the Q books are good but then I love that character so I'm probably bias. I waas like that, hadn’t read a trek novel in years. Started this though and now its all i seem to be reading! Not sure if that’s a good thing or not but I'm enjoying it.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (mr_andrew_c) | 4 comments Andrew - where are you on your re-read? I stalled out after the Typhon Pact and have been focusing on other interests for a while.

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Maddox (leogarlian) | 9 comments Im nowhere near that yet! Im still in the middle of the ds9 relaunch. Using the Trek lit flow chart and being OCD like with regards to chronology means wadding through a lot of backstory. Sorry go hear u stalled, are they not good?

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (mr_andrew_c) | 4 comments I enjoyed most of the books from Destiny through Typhon Pact. Personally I can only read a few books in one series at a time before another stack of unread books calls my name...

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Maddox (leogarlian) | 9 comments I know exactly what you mean but im determined this time to keep at it and make it through as many as possible. Im glad u enjoyed them, cant wait to get to them myself :)

message 12: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilysawyer) | 54 comments Miasma is good. I'm reading Tony Daniel's Savage Trade, it's a sequel to TOS Savage Curtain ep.

I like Greg Cox's books. he has a new one coming out next week called "Legacies: Captain to Captain."

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 116 comments Lily wrote: "Miasma is good. I'm reading Tony Daniel's Savage Trade, it's a sequel to TOS Savage Curtain ep.

I like Greg Cox's books. he has a new one coming out next week called "Legacies: Captain to Captain.""

Greg Cox is a consistently good Trek writer.
If I see his name on a book, I usually give it a try.
Like how he uses Trek history.

message 14: by Greg (new)

Greg (greggorio) | 11 comments I have preordered the entire LEGACIES trilogy. Not braggin', just sayin'.

message 15: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Maddox (leogarlian) | 9 comments The Legacies Trilogy looks really good, I will definitley be adding that to my to-read shelf. The TNG Prey trilogy looks like it will be a good read too :)

message 16: by Greg (new)

Greg (greggorio) | 11 comments LOL i have pre ordered the PREY trilogy, as well.

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Maddox (leogarlian) | 9 comments You a pre-ordering machine! :P

message 18: by Greg (new)

Greg (greggorio) | 11 comments LOL

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3 comments A good and cheap way to catch up on trek books is the monthly ebook deals offered by the publisher. This month the $1.99 deals are for most of Kirsten Beyer's post Destiny Voyager novels and the IKS Gorgon trilogy. As someone who was never a big Voyager fan when it aired, I am really enjoying Kirsten Beyer's post destiny Voyager novels.

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (mr_andrew_c) | 4 comments Jim wrote: "A good and cheap way to catch up on trek books is the monthly ebook deals offered by the publisher..."

THANK YOU for pointing this out! Is there an easy way to see which books are discounted each month?