Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry
This topic is about The Psychopath Test
The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry, by Jon Ronson

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andrea | 403 comments The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry was my Week 34 book about mental illness.

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments I read this recently and loved it. Such a fascinating read, and really engaging.

message 3: by Andrea (last edited Aug 18, 2016 11:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea | 403 comments Jody, this book is quite engaging. I think that Tony's case, in particular, serves as the its major impetus.

In The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry, Ronson writes about his encounters with the madness industry: academicians, clinicians, Scientologists, entertainment industrialists, etc. who engage with individuals displaying psychopathic behaviors. His journey begins when a neurologist asks him to investigate the origins of a puzzling book that she, as well as other many other academicians around the world, receives from an anonymous Swedish source. After a bit of digging, Ronson soon unearths the author and marvels at the consequential ripples that the book causes in society's pond. While this case does not involve a psychopath, it makes Ronson question the soundness of society's evolution and prompts him to take a closer look.

This read is far from overly clinical. Ronson, however, does maintain an impressive validity and sense of objectivity by repeatedly addressing his layman status, unhesitatingly admitting his potential fallibility, constantly citing his various sources, and intermittently including interview quotes. This combination of personal and detailed reporting eventually leads to a sound conclusion with which I tend to agree.