Panels (100+ Graphics Novel Challenge) discussion

Basic Info > Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Fyre.Katz (new)

Fyre.Katz (fyrekatz) | 244 comments Mod
Where you can place questions to the MODS!

message 2: by Fyre.Katz (new)

Alright I was wondering if we should do more in this group like maybe a monthly not BOTM but maybe a tag. So we can have more activity here?

Just a wondering MOD.

message 3: by Fyre.Katz (new)

Also should I make us a new avatar?

message 4: by jen (new)

jen (hallowwanderer) | 19 comments Mod
Haven't checked this group in awhile, oops.

I think a monthly book would be a neat idea, or maybe a monthly what are you reading/watching thread to encourage discussion.

I kinda like the avatar right now, but we can probably change after awhile....

message 5: by Libraryjoy (new)

Libraryjoy (silver_wings_42) | 92 comments Sorry - I was out of town when this conversation happened, and I just got a new dog, so I'm spending a lot less time online right now. We did a monthly book back when we were on Shelfari, but it kinda died out. As for the avatar, I'm fine with whatever. I found this image in Creative Commons on Wikimedia, so I could use it without copyright restrictions. If you make an avatar, make sure you keep that in mind.

message 6: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 172 comments Hey guess, I made a Poll, just for fun.

I'm so behind on reading, and I'm waiting on a huge box of manga that the company is waiting to get all the up dated books. I'm dreading waiting for it.

What do any of you all do when you get in a reading slump?

message 7: by Libraryjoy (new)

Libraryjoy (silver_wings_42) | 92 comments When I'm in a reading slump, a lot of times I just let myself be. I enjoy other things until a book piques my interest. Or I go back and reread a few books that I've really liked to get me back at it. Or I find something fun and mindless (like a reverse harem manga or a harlequin romance) to read, since it doesn't really matter and isn't taxing. Any of those things can get me back in the mood to read.

Jingraves wrote: "Hey guess, I made a Poll, just for fun.

I'm so behind on reading, and I'm waiting on a huge box of manga that the company is waiting to get all the up dated books. I'm dreading waiting for it.

..."

message 8: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 172 comments Libraryjoy wrote: "When I'm in a reading slump, a lot of times I just let myself be. I enjoy other things until a book piques my interest. Or I go back and reread a few books that I've really liked to get me back at ..."

I always try and use , I call it the "Sandwich Technique", for reading.

Bread: Something that might be slow coming out. Could be old series. It just comes out at a snails pace.
Meat: Something you can rely on, this on is a series you start that has like 20+ books and is already out.
Vegetables: Something fresh and new.
Cheese: Something that is a short series, this could be an old one or one is already coming out, but isn't to long maybe between 5 and 10 volumes.
Sauce: This one is more intense maybe a author you like and they had an new series coming out. This category packs a punch of "flavor". You know you are gonna love it before you pick it up.

Right now this would be mine:

Bread: One Piece, Bleach
Meat: Toriko, Fairy Tail
Vegetables: (Anything RPG esk right now)
Cheese: My Love Story
Sauce: Platinum End

message 9: by Fyre.Katz (new)

Interesting idea! Love it!!

Jingraves wrote: "Libraryjoy wrote: "When I'm in a reading slump, a lot of times I just let myself be. I enjoy other things until a book piques my interest. Or I go back and reread a few books that I've really liked..."

message 10: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 42 comments Cool. I might use the sandwich technique this summer.

message 11: by Fyre.Katz (new)

hmmm what if its like a genre type thing each month... like one month we vote and pick like Slice of Life and we read manga under that genre?

message 12: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 172 comments That would be fun.

I read so much any way and sometimes I don't know what I want to read.

message 13: by Fyre.Katz (new)

I have the poll up in the group... I believe til the 24th or something like that and then next month we start reading that genre that won :)

message 14: by Jingraves (new)

Jingraves | 172 comments Fyre.Katz wrote: "I have the poll up in the group... I believe til the 24th or something like that and then next month we start reading that genre that won :)"

Awesome.

message 15: by Fyre.Katz (new)

For Jan would you guys like to add an anime series or movie to watch too?

message 16: by Fyre.Katz (new)

do you guys like the new avatar?

message 17: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 214 comments CG is CG but its nice and simple. :)

message 18: by Fyre.Katz (new)

Its for GotM … would you want it back to manga picture... I can do that?!

Doc wrote: "CG is CG but its nice and simple. :)"

message 19: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 214 comments Fyre.Katz wrote: "Its for GotM … would you want it back to manga picture... I can do that?!

Doc wrote: "CG is CG but its nice and simple. :)""

No Gundam is fine by me for it fits. I just realized I have never read it as a manga before. :)

Maybe when the holiday rushes are over we can all chip in ideas for a cycling avatar to catch different genres. :)

message 20: by Fyre.Katz (new)

Anyone interested in Binge Reading certain mangas? Like if we hold like a Naruto or bleach readathon?

message 21: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 214 comments I am re-reading Bleach since I finished collecting earlier this year but I have gotten so used to reading different titles over long periods of time it is easier to not binge read for me now . :)

message 22: by Fyre.Katz (new)

What would you like to vote on for Feb for GoTM?

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 16 comments Hello, I'm new to the group and I have silly question but just want to clarify ^^!

When it says read 100 graphic novels, does it mean separate volumes or 100 different series? Like if I read Splatoon, vol 1-3. does that count as 1 or 3 books for this challenge?

Also, is it ok for me to go ahead and make a thread challenge in what I'm reading as well?

Thank you so much!

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 115 comments Are we now tracking all graphic novels, not just manga? Haha I have only ever used this for manga since that is what the group and description says.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 16 comments Whoops, I'm an librarian and I used manga and graphic novel interchangeably ^^! Referring to manga here :)

message 26: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 214 comments Graphic Novels that are not manga are included in the challenges too if you like. Personally I love seeing how art bringing a story to life (even if sometime it falls short) so I would hate to hear you would not read a comic like say Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening just because you are focused specifically on manga. :)

message 27: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 214 comments As for February we can do colors like red,white, and pink or perhaps things like love, food, or history?

message 28: by Alyson (new)

Alyson | 13 comments I like the color idea ❤️

message 29: by Fyre.Katz (new)

k colors is good :) I haven't heard the other mod talking about anything in this group as of late... I was thinking about making this a 100+ panel challenge group- which would count comics, graphic novels, and manga!

message 30: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 214 comments Ah! I never realized you had a second Moderator until you mentioned it. Jen has been active on Goodreads though. :)

message 31: by Fyre.Katz (new)

we had 3, I was a replacement.

Doc wrote: "Ah! I never realized you had a second Moderator until you mentioned it. Jen has been active on Goodreads though. :)"

message 32: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 115 comments Fyre.Katz wrote: "k colors is good :) I haven't heard the other mod talking about anything in this group as of late... I was thinking about making this a 100+ panel challenge group- which would count comics, graphic..."

I like the idea of being more inclusive of other graphic novels and comics, etc. More doable. :)

message 33: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 214 comments Fyre.Katz wrote: "we had 3, I was a replacement.)""

Thanks for being as active as you have been. :)
Hmmm...I like the name Panels but we can still keep the 100+ challenge in the subtitle. How about something like-
"Panels (100+ Graphics Novel Challenge)"

message 34: by Fyre.Katz (new)

I shouldn't change anything until the other mod sees this... Oo

message 35: by Fyre.Katz (new)

well I connected the other mod and no word yet... lets just count all panels :) Also looks like there is a tie for feb's color theme! nice!

message 36: by RENE (new)

RENE | 13 comments Vampire week or month? Maybe let group read this series or such? I think short series will help with people wanting to participate and not feeling pressure to finish.

message 37: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 214 comments Short vampire series? I think The Record of a Fallen Vampire, Volume 1 is only 10 volumes or so but Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story is only one volume long.

message 38: by RENE (last edited Jan 18, 2020 09:35PM) (new)

RENE | 13 comments Doc wrote: "Short vampire series? I think The Record of a Fallen Vampire, Volume 1 is only 10 volumes or so but Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story is only one volume long."

I check on bookwalker and they have it. They even have a long preview. I check it later when I have finish my reading of several book I reading. Deadman wonderland I need to finish the two volumes I bought. The book one cover look interesting. I add to My wish list. Thanks.

message 39: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 214 comments The manga for Deadman Wonderland is so much better then the anime. They cut certain characters from the manga and ended up messing with the story which is a shame. I hope you enjoy (also only 13 volumes.) :)

message 40: by RENE (new)

RENE | 13 comments Doc wrote: "The manga for Deadman Wonderland is so much better then the anime. They cut certain characters from the manga and ended up messing with the story which is a shame. I hope you enjoy (also only 13 vo..."

Oh I am and is super annoying to me. There a girl character and events with her that are not in the anime I pretty sure. Think she only appear out nowhere later in the anime. So far she seen to be a important character for Ganta grow.

message 41: by Fyre.Katz (new)

Would anyone here be interested in an panel readathon, If I made one happen?

message 42: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 115 comments I wouldn't mind doing a 1, 2, or 3 day one(or maybe a 4-5 day one if just for weekdays thing) but longer readathons I don't feel do anything to really motivate me much. But short ones to push myself are great as long as any prompts aren't too specific.

I am booked the last weekend of April, last weekend of May, last weekend of July so those weekends I couldn't do but any other time works.

message 43: by RENE (new)

RENE | 13 comments Sure and I agree with short ones or something like that. But first provably got to be something we can still buy ebook format. Otherwise I going to be stuck waiting 4 weeks or something lol.

message 44: by Fyre.Katz (new)

I only read panels thru my kindle so ebook is always fine and I was thinking only weekends or sorts anyways... just for fun :)

RENE wrote: "Sure and I agree with short ones or something like that. But first provably got to be something we can still buy ebook format. Otherwise I going to be stuck waiting 4 weeks or something lol."

message 45: by RENE (new)

RENE | 13 comments Any genre in particular? I am Pretty much open to all genres.

message 46: by Fyre.Katz (new)

i'm trying to workout those type of things... what would you like to see?

RENE wrote: "Any genre in particular? I am Pretty much open to all genres."

message 47: by RENE (new)

RENE | 13 comments Maybe fantasy or steam punk? Dunno Vampires? But I read whatever.

message 48: by Fyre.Katz (new)

Should we even vote for the color for March! I think it should be green?? Let me know!

message 49: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 115 comments Agreed

message 50: by RENE (new)

RENE | 13 comments Sure

« previous 1