RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

When Zachary Beaver Came to Town

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments I wasn't too crazy about this book. It was sad to see the friendship of Toby, Cal, and Zachary end, but at least they became friends later. It brought back memories from middle and high school. I did some research on this book and saw that there is a movie about this book. Has anyone seen it? I wonder if it's any good. I don't think this is a book I would get for my classroom library.

-Nickole Castillo

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments This book made me want to move to a small town! I didn't read this book as a kid, but it reminded me a lot of the books I enjoyed to read. I loved reading about relatable characters. Toby had to deal with a few very heavy experiences (his mom leaving and the death of Wayne), but readers also got a good glimpse into his everyday experiences as a young boy growing up in a small town. They way Toby, Cal, and Kate befriended Zachary was endearing.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Nickole wrote: "I wasn't too crazy about this book. It was sad to see the friendship of Toby, Cal, and Zachary end, but at least they became friends later. It brought back memories from middle and high school. I d..."

This book brought back memories from middle school for me, too! I remembered visiting some relatives in a very small town in Oklahoma, and just loving it! We were able to explore the town all by ourselves (bought ice cream at a little general store and saw a movie in an old theater).

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments I really enjoyed reading this book. I enjoyed seeing Toby's character development. I think that this is something many kids can relate to a parent leaving them, having a crush, friendship, and other adolescence struggles. While reading this I posted a picture to snapchat and oddly my brother said he read this in middle school. This was funny to me because he doesn't like to read but he said he enjoyed this book.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments I definitely agree that this book is so relatable for middle school students. I thought the way the crush was depicted was funny (and so accurate)!