RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

Al Capone Does My Shirts

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments I liked this book, mainly because I find the whole story of Alcatraz interesting. I think my students would like to read this story as well. The book was a good length and was interesting throughout. I think I would do a writing activity with my students where they had to think of someone to do a piece of their clothing. You could come up with lots of fun and different people and things. It is so sad to me to see how Natalie, Moose's sister, is seen in this story. Thank goodness times have changed. I found it kinda funny that Moose goes to Al Capone for help and gets what he needs. I believe there a sequels to this book, but I'm not sure. If there is I would like to read them as well.

-Nickole Castillo

message 2: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments I liked the way Gennifer Choldenko depicts autism in this book. Natalie and Moose both caught my attention. Moose was protective of Natalie and seems to understand her better than anyone else. I think having students do research on autism and even on how treatments of autism have changed over the years would be an interesting activity.

message 3: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Nickole wrote: "I liked this book, mainly because I find the whole story of Alcatraz interesting. I think my students would like to read this story as well. The book was a good length and was interesting throughou..."
Robyn,
I absolutely love your idea! I think students could greatly benefit from learning about how autism has changed in the past years. This could build a good classroom community.

-Nickole

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Robyn wrote: "I liked the way Gennifer Choldenko depicts autism in this book. Natalie and Moose both caught my attention. Moose was protective of Natalie and seems to understand her better than anyone else. I th..."

Using this book as a way to explore autism is a great idea. Moose's interactions with his sister (for the most part) provides a good model of patience and compassion for students.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Nickole wrote: "I liked this book, mainly because I find the whole story of Alcatraz interesting. I think my students would like to read this story as well. The book was a good length and was interesting throughou..."

This book did do a good job of keeping my attention. I agree with you in how many different ways you could incorporate it into additional classroom projects.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments I thought this was a good book. I was not expecting the setting to be back when Al Capone was there . I thought it was interesting how Choldenko used real facts based on Alcatraz. I never thought about families living on the island and working there. The best part about this book was the ending when Al Capone helps him. I would have liked to know more about inmate 105 too. I think this is a great book for the boys. They will enjoy Moose's character. I think girls could also enjoy it because I did. I also thought it was interesting how the sister Autism was addressed and how different it was handled back then from now.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments Robyn wrote: "I liked the way Gennifer Choldenko depicts autism in this book. Natalie and Moose both caught my attention. Moose was protective of Natalie and seems to understand her better than anyone else. I th..."

Yes, I completely agree. At first I didn't know she had autism because they kind of made it seem worse. It really made me think about how much we have progressed.

message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments Nickole wrote: "I liked this book, mainly because I find the whole story of Alcatraz interesting. I think my students would like to read this story as well. The book was a good length and was interesting throughou..."

This book kept my attention throughout as well. I would be interested in the sequel might have to look it up and add it to my list.

message 9: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Victoria,
I also plan to add the sequels to my reading list. I think boys and girls will like this book equally. I like the history that this book brings in.

- Nickole