Play Book Tag discussion

Two Old Women: An Alaska Legend of Betrayal, Courage and Survival
This topic is about Two Old Women
Archive: Other Books > Two Old Women - Velma Wallis - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1084 comments This is an Alaskan legend of the Gwich'in band of the Athabaskan tribe. It tells the story of 2 old women, 80 and 75, who are left behind by the band because they are too dependent and not contributing enough to the tribe. Despite the fact that several members feel guilty, no one objects. The women hold their pride until the band leaves and then after some reflection and discussion, they determine to adhere to the mantra "let us die trying". They have to reach back to the skills they have let diminish as they let their aches and pains and tribal dependence take over.

This is a great tale of courage, new friendship and survival in a harsh world. The author is an Athabaskan who heard this story from her mother as it was passed down through the generations and decided to record it for future generations.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4985 comments Sounds interesting! I will have to look for this.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5813 comments I really loved this book. I read it because it was a selection for my F2F book club. Great discussion (especially since we are mostly "old women").