2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Crime and Punishment
This topic is about Crime and Punishment
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2016 > Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ZaraS (last edited Jun 17, 2016 05:51PM) (new) - added it

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments This thread is to discuss Fyodor Dostoyevsky's book, Crime and Punishment.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants:
Gabriella, Ariel, Lindsay

message 2: by ZaraS (new) - added it

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're going. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 45.42 pages
Week 2: 45.42 pages
Week 3: 45.42 pages
Week 4: 45.42 pages
Week 5: 45.42 pages
Week 6: 45.42 pages
Week 7: 45.42 pages
Week 8: 45.42 pages
Week 9: 45.42 pages
Week 10: 45.42 pages
Week 11: 45.42 pages
Week 12: 45.42 pages

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments I've tried to read this a couple of times, but I keep getting stuck. I'm wondering if it's my translation. Which translation are you all planning to read?

message 4: by Lindsay (last edited Jul 05, 2016 11:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lindsay | 1327 comments I have gone for the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translation. I read a few of the sample pages of that and the Constance Garnett one and thought the Pevear seemed more modern and accessible for me.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky This is my version.

message 5: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I moved this into August. Happy reading!

message 6: by Ariel (new) - added it

Ariel  (lamot_amant) | 728 comments I think I might start this nearer to the end of August. I have a bunch of shorter books I need to get to in order to catch up on my challenge.

I was thinking of going with the P & V translation as well but think I might end up torn between that and the Oliver Ready one.

message 7: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments What kind of progress are folks making with Crime and Punishment? Would you like to continue for another month?

Please let me know!

message 8: by Ariel (new) - added it

Ariel  (lamot_amant) | 728 comments Another month would be great - I'd like to spend some more time with it as long as no one else minds.

Lindsay | 1327 comments Yes please. Another month would be fab.

message 10: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments How is everyone fairing with this read? Is everyone enjoying it? Would you recommend it to others?

Lindsay | 1327 comments It's not the easiest read Mary Pat. I'm at the start of Part 3 and I'm finding it quite hard going. Similarly to War and Peace there are so many names. I will persevere though.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.