Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Author Corner > The Book Fair

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1641 comments Auckland, November 5th at the Mount Eden War Memorial Hall. (opposite Potter's Park) ...

This is our Indie Book Fair running for its 3rd year. Seems the venue this year will be the best.

Open for bookings now at http://nzbookfestival.co.nz/

Do support it readers and writers. It's a great place to find unusual books and, for writers, the networking is worth the fee.

message 2: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1641 comments Authors don't forget to get your photo and book cover in for the promo site. It's free advertising!

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 255 comments I'll see you all there!!! I'm looking forward to the new venue.

message 4: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1641 comments Hello Kirsten, yes, I'll be there. Come and wave. I don't have help this year so must stay with the books. Also can only hobble on sticks curse the darn Southern Health Board who should have given me new hips in August. I shall miss so much of the fun in India thanks to them.

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 39 comments P.D.R. wrote: "Auckland, November 5th at the Mount Eden War Memorial Hall. (opposite Potter's Park) ...

This is our Indie Book Fair running for its 3rd year. Seems the venue this year will be the best.

Open for..."

Only one week away now - I'll be there again, along with Mairangi Writers and heaps of other authors. Looking forward to saying hello again.

Let's spread the word - https://www.facebook.com/nzbookfest/

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 255 comments See you there Vicky. I'm right next to Andrene Low. Looking forward to it.

message 7: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1641 comments Haven't seen the plan yet, Kirsten. Is it online?

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 255 comments P.D.R. wrote: "Haven't seen the plan yet, Kirsten. Is it online?"

No I haven't seen it either! I'm just going off what Andrene told me!

message 9: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1641 comments RIght, it's a wait and see then. Anyone going to the Friday night do?

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 255 comments P.D.R. wrote: "RIght, it's a wait and see then. Anyone going to the Friday night do?"

Yes, i'm going to the Friday night do.

message 11: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1641 comments Good. Hope to see you there.

message 12: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 39 comments Me too. I'll be there Friday night

message 13: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1641 comments Can't miss me Vicki, I'll be hobbling on my walking poles. See you both there.

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 255 comments Well team, this year was far superior to last year. A lot more stands looked a lot more professional than last year, but we still have a long way to go till some stands don't look like a Primary School Group Project. Sorry, but some stands still just didn't reflect the professionalism the whole industry needs.
I was really impressed with the foot traffic, and as long as the fair stays in this spot annually, foot traffic should grow and grow and grow.
What did you all think?

message 15: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1641 comments With you on that, Kirsten. A marked improvement all round as far as presentation goes. I think I've persuaded one of those who only had a pile of books that presentation does count. He promises to improve for next year.

And full marks to Louise and the team who put everything together so well. Having the kids' corner and all the fun activities for kids plus the children's books for sale made for a great buzz in the hall. Free balloons were a draw and whilst I only sold one print book I did have a lot of people taking the codes for 99cent ebook specials which my Writer's Choice lot had put together.

Yes, the venue should remain the same next year as we did have lots of people who wanted to buy books, especially parents. We need to get more writers doing book special deals.

The only grumbles I heard were from people who expected all the work to be done for them!

Missed booktrak and Neilsens - must get 'em next year as so many new indies were there who did not know about Neilsens. Let's hope we get the same dates and p[lace for next year.

message 16: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 39 comments Kirsten wrote: "Well team, this year was far superior to last year. A lot more stands looked a lot more professional than last year, but we still have a long way to go till some stands don't look like a Primary Sc..."

I agree Kirsten. I think you will have seen my reply to your post on FB about the moaners who did nothing and expect over-the-moon results.
Ditto PDR. Louise and the team did a fantastic job. I hope the team (whether exactly the same or slightly adjusted) continue. Louise needs them and NZBF needs them.
NZBF is still in its infancy so we must hang in there and support it for it become a recognised annual event people want to attend. Consistency of rough dates, time and place will become important.
But hats off to NZBF 2016.

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 255 comments Vicky wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Well team, this year was far superior to last year. A lot more stands looked a lot more professional than last year, but we still have a long way to go till some stands don't look l..."

Absolutely. I was quite frustrated by the moaners on the FB page. When you're there to sell books, you actually need to put in some effort yourself i.e. utilise your own social media networks. Even if you are a novice on the internet, with no social media networks to speak of, inviting your family and close friends to attend is a must do! It's not hard.
Hopefully some constructive feedback, and some social media guidance over the coming 12 months, will help those people who had a less than stellar experience.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 954 comments So did any of you get to meet and chat? :)

message 19: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 39 comments Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛ wrote: "So did any of you get to meet and chat? :)"

Yes, I did. A lot of us already know one another and chatted when we could. Kirsten's stand was opposite mine, but when you are busy with potential customers its a cursory rather than in-depth conversation.
My husband manned the stall a couple of times while I went around to look at the other stalls and say hello to the ones that attracted my attention in a good way. Some attracted my attention for the wrong reasons - a complete lack of display layout and any effort - and I made one or two suggestions for improvement. Cheeky me, but one bad egg lets down the whole team.
I've decided that old cliche "you can lead people to water but you cannot make them drink it" fits the bill here. Louise made a serious effort to give people ideas for display and table set up, and too many ignored all her advice. And there were some who think that paying for a exhibitor space is all they need to do - somehow everything else just happens for them. But if you asked them to pay extra for someone to set up the stands ahead of time or for huge main-stream media advertising they would refuse. Go figure.

message 20: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1641 comments I always enjoy the book fair for catching up with you GR people. And it was a good venue and there were lots of people. Give it another couple of years in the same place and people will be coming to buy books. I had an ebook special and a poster with the codes which I pointed out to people and made six sales over the next week.

The newbies will always complain until they realise that they must actually sell their books. Vicky will continue sending out her advice and they will continue to ignore it because - as they ignore getting editors and a cover designer -their work is God's gift to literature and only when they've grown through that will they start growing as writers.