Play Book Tag discussion

The Night Circus
This topic is about The Night Circus
June, 2016: Fantasy > The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern 4*

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I'm not 100% decided on this rating, it might only be a 3* read for me. I thought the plot was a little bizarre and unbelievable at times and since the intentions of the game were kind of vague or glossed over, I didn't totally buy it. The imagery was beautiful and, thank goodness, or the story would have been a total loss. But the plot could have used a bit fewer tent descriptions and a little more explanation of what was going on. I think it would make a great movie, I'd love to see the tents on a big screen.

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3830 comments I think this book was one of the ONLY if not the only use of 2nd hand persona that I can stand. I loved this book. Gave it to my boyfriends mom for Mother's day this year, and she already bought it for her mom on audio.

Apparently it's been almost 5 years since I read this, I don't reread often, but I feel like it's just about time to reread for me.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I loved this book when I read it. Here is the link to the author's website for answer to the movie. http://erinmorgenstern.com/about/faq/

Kathy I hosted this one for my face-to-face book club. The reception was a case study of extremes. Either people loved it or they hated it; no in betweens. My favorite response was from someone who hated it. "There were no clowns. How can you have a circus with no clowns!?!" I think the problem was that there was an unbalance between the amount of time spent on description of the circus and actual action/progression of the story.

LibraryCin | 8811 comments Kathy wrote: "I think the problem was that there was an unbalance between the amount of time spent on description of the circus and actual action/progression of the story. ..."

It's funny. Usually I'm more about a plot than descriptions, but I loved the descriptions of the circus in this book!

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I think it will be a great movie if it gets made. But I did think the descriptions took over a bit and got in the way of the plot.

message 7: by ScoLgo (new)

ScoLgo | 30 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I think the problem was that there was an unbalance between the amount of time spent on description of the circus and actual action/progression of the story. ..."

It's funny. Usually I'm more about a plot than descriptions, but I loved the descriptions of the circus in this book!..."

I am not typically a big fan of magical realism or romance novels but I really enjoyed The Night Circus. I think what worked for me was how atmospheric everything was. I guess that means I can put up with a lot of description and digression if it generates atmosphere. I found the same to be true when reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Also enhancing my enjoyment of The Night Circus was the interesting cast of characters.

LibraryCin | 8811 comments ScoLgo wrote: "I think what worked for me was how atmospheric everything was. I guess that means I can put up with a lot of description and digression if it generates atmosphere. ..."

And maybe that was it for me, as well. I'm also not, generally, a fan of magical realism.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book, I listened to the audio, narrated by Jim Dale and I thought he did a great job of bringing Le Cirque des Reves to life. One of my Top Ten books in 2011.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6162 comments First - this is NOT magical realism. It's fantasy.

I liked this book quite a bit. Listened to the audio, which was wonderful. But there is really no plot, and little romance (though it's frequently tagged that way). Certainly would love to visit that circus!

Kathy I would definitely have been a reveurs. Better than Disneyland. Plus you can get away wearing a touch of red. No silly mouse ears.

message 12: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3830 comments Kathy wrote: "My favorite response was from someone who hated it. "There were no clowns. How can you have a circus with no clowns!?!"."

LOL! I think I liked it better since there we're NO clowns!

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I also loved this book -totally captivated as soon as I entered the tents.

message 14: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Jun 20, 2016 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1393 comments I <3 this book. It's one of my favorites!!! I loved the descriptions because they were so beautiful and poetic and transported me into the story. I felt like I was experiencing the circus myself. I also had no trouble following what was going on, so maybe that's why I liked it so much.