What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. SciFi romance, human heroine initially rescued by alien crew whose ship then gets overrun by another race, heroine then saves the original crew [s]

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanta (last edited Jul 18, 2016 03:21PM) (new)

Shanta | 12 comments Hello, I hope this scene sounds familiar to someone out there!
I'm pretty certain I have read this ebook sometime in the past 2 years, though whether it was published within that time frame, I'm not as certain. It is a scifi romance (aimed at adults). I recall the (human) heroine finds herself on an alien space ship with a humanoid crew. Afraid I can't recall how she got there, but my impression is that she was NOT intentionally captured by this crew, I think she was found or rescued by them. At any rate, she is in the care of a crew member who happens to be with her in a passageway when the ship is attacked by another alien race. Alarms go off, there is chaos, and the companion stuffs the heroine into a handy service access panel or passage for safety. Some time later she manages to find her way out. She discovers the ship has been taken over by the second alien race (whom I think are a reptilian race, again as far as I can recall) and the surviving crew have been locked into the brig/behind a forcefield. She finds them there, somewhat the worse for wear after having battled the invaders, and realizes the invading aliens intend to kill/consume the crew. I can't remember how, but she finds a way to release the original crew from confinement and they take back the ship.
I've written what I can recall, I don't think I added in any extras or confusing impressions from other stories (I read a LOT of romance!). If any part of this sounds familiar, I would be very grateful for any suggestions!
Many thanks
Shanta

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 609 comments was it an erotic romance? menage type? (it sounds familiar to a couple of books i've read)

message 3: by Shanta (last edited Jul 18, 2016 03:29PM) (new)

Shanta | 12 comments Hmmm..ok, that stumps me slightly. I avoided adding some of my other impressions because I thought I might be confusing it with another book or books. So, the impressions that I'm less sure about: it may be more scifi romance than strictly erotic romance, as it felt to me there was slightly more emphasis on the plot than the relationship? I believe it's m/f, but that I am less sure about (I do know she ends up with the captain of the ship though). I think she ultimately ends up on their planet. I seem to recall her waking in a medical bay when she first finds herself on the ship, and the aliens who have found her have not encountered humans before and do not know quite what to make of her/if to trust her etc. I think the ship's doctor is particularly suspicious at first, but the captain decides to give her the benefit of the doubt and lets her out and about rather than confining her. It's a military ship and they pride themselves on being a warrior race, I seem to recall, so they are rather embarrassed and angry about being taken by surprise/overrun by their enemies. When she finds them behind the forcefield they're a bit battered but not hopeless. They also had initially seen her as rather puny and useless, but that of course changes when they realize she'd managed to hide herself and had the courage to come looking for them and try to help them. Does this help at all?
(Please feel free to make any suggestions, even if you're not quite sure, you may end up suggesting something I haven't read and might enjoy!)

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Shanta, do you have a sense of the heroine's background - e.g., military officer, mechanic, scientist, diplomat, adventurer, etc.? How would you describe her personality or appearance?

Thanks for separating strong memories about the book from impressions you're less certain about. It's helpful for our searches.

message 5: by Shanta (last edited Jun 17, 2016 10:48AM) (new)

Shanta | 12 comments I can't recall much about the heroine's appearance or stature with reference to her own race, but compared to the aliens among whom she finds herself she is shorter and slimmer - it's a male and female crew, and they all, both male and female, are described as being taller with greater muscular development than humans. They wear military uniforms, I think. I'm afraid I can't remember much about the heroine's background or occupation, whether she's classed as small or BBW etc. I do know her personality is one where she's not wiling to take things lying down. She finds the doctor's attitude offensive and isn't afraid to tell him so, she's rather angry to be stuffed into an access panel when she doesn't know how she'll get out. But she also doesn't rush into things without looking or thinking things through first - for example when she finds her way out of hiding she doesn't go rushing off, she's aware something is not right and takes her time looking around. She is afraid, but doesn't allow that to stop her from trying to help. I believe the crew start to admire her despite initially mistaking her for being useless due to her size, because she makes up for her shortcomings by being smart and using what resources she has. Sorry I haven't got more!

message 6: by Pilar (new)

Pilar España | 143 comments Maybe one of Gail Koger's books....

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Author Gail Koger for Mary's suggestion

message 8: by Shanta (last edited Jun 18, 2016 06:38PM) (new)

Shanta | 12 comments Kris wrote: "Author Gail Koger for Mary's suggestion"
Many thanks for the suggestion, in fact the Coletti Warlord series is one of those I re-read while searching for this book, but unfortunately it wasn't one of these...

message 9: by Shanta (new)

Shanta | 12 comments Can we try this again?
If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate suggestions, even if you're not sure if it fits!
Thanks again..

message 10: by Shanta (new)

Shanta | 12 comments Bump...

message 12: by Aerulan (last edited Aug 23, 2016 04:51PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1197 comments I believe that S.E. Smith has a similar setup to the 'crew is captured/forcefield' thing in Tink's Neverland. Maybe give that one a look, you might also check her other books she's got a lot of scifi romance and that scene sounds awfully familiar.

ETA River's Run by her might be worth a look too, that's another with the heroine saving the hero and his crew who've been captured by other aliens -though it's not their ship that time I think.

message 13: by Shanta (new)

Shanta | 12 comments Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "Could it be Conflict of Honors ?"

Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't read this book, but it certainly is going on my to be read list!

message 14: by Shanta (last edited Sep 01, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Shanta | 12 comments Aerulan wrote: "I believe that S.E. Smith has a similar setup to the 'crew is captured/forcefield' thing in Tink's Neverland. Maybe give that one a look, you might also check her other books she's ..."

Yes, S.E. Smith is one of my favourites, and I honestly thought it was one of hers, like River's Run or Gracie's Touch, but then I re-read them (among several others, like Monette Michael's Prime series, Gail Koger's Colletti Warlords series, Sandra Harris' "Alien Mine" to name a few) and couldn't find this scene. Soooo frustrating!
River's Run had a similar scene where she and the other women hid in the ceiling/service ducts to escape and wreak havoc on the reptilian aliens who had kidnapped them, and they also rescued the heroes who were later captured by said aliens and chained up.. The difference though was in the scene I remember, the heroine is the lone human on the ship of (human-like) aliens, and they are treating her like a guest of sorts (albeit a bit reluctantly as I seem to recall they're not quite sure what to do with her). Their ship is then sabotaged allowing the reptilian aliens (or possibly pirates?) to board and they are taken by surprise. They are overrun and locked in their own brig. The heroine escapes capture because the crew member assigned to be her guide hid her in the service passage or cubbyhole when the alarms went off, and she eventually managed to free herself and go looking for the crew. Does this help?
Thanks so much for your suggestion!

message 15: by Shanta (new)

Shanta | 12 comments Bump, (please!)

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Shanta--the usual bump period is 30 to 90 days. While I don't know what this book is--it's definitely going to be going on top of the mountain range formerly known as my TBR pile.

message 17: by Shanta (new)

Shanta | 12 comments Shanta wrote: "Bump, (please!)"

Sorry, I keep thinking of around the 17th as being the date I need to recall for bumping the request - overlooked the fact that this time I had got a response, so I had to advance the date! Apologies to all..

message 18: by Anna (last edited Sep 18, 2016 04:16PM) (new)

Anna | 509 comments Knowing (Return of the Nine, #1) by Viola Grace Knowing It's not an exact match but I think it's similar enough to be worth checking it, just in case.

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Well, Shanta, I don't know if you are finding the one you want, but I'm certainly adding to my tbr mountain range

message 20: by Shanta (new)

Shanta | 12 comments Anna wrote: "Knowing (Return of the Nine, #1) by Viola GraceKnowing It's not an exact match but I think it's similar enough to be worth checking it, just in case."

Thanks to Anna for the suggestion - I do love Viola Grace's books but this was one I hadn't read. It's going on my tbr list though!
My search continues..

message 21: by Shanta (last edited Oct 04, 2016 04:30PM) (new)

Shanta | 12 comments I FOUND IT! Finally, after much searching. Thank you so much to everyone for your very kind suggestions, and I hope if anyone had an interest based on this thread, you enjoy this book as much as I did. The reviewer SamJ's review here on Goodreads describes pretty much how I felt about the book - like the reviewer, I was iffy at the beginning but the story just kept me reading. And evidently, it stayed with me 2 years later to the extent I kept trying to find it!
I should point out the scenes I was remembering actually come some way into the book, not right at the beginning. Just in case anyone does decide to read it and wonders what's going on..
Also, please read the reviews, as I think this is a book that seems to widely divide opinion. It is, contrary to my vague memories, in fact a ménage book. There are issues of dubious consent which I felt were handled ok for my sensibilities, but apparently others did not feel the same way, based on the reviews.
The book is "Venomous" by Penelope Fletcher https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Thanks again for everyone's help!