UK Book Club discussion

50 Greatest Writers > good british short stories.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Barbarasimmings | 4 comments first post here . diligently trying to locate something interesting in a short form . patience is lacking . having in mind running prose,no verbose structures and " worth " reading for a very busy women . saturated with feminine themes, not intended . having dickens's size prose , may be shorter . on science fiction bullocks , history but realistic expositions . of course british and 20 th 21st C . no experimental writers , bio and autobio are encouraged,with exceptional brevity in terms of style , and those which could impact a reader . i might be a little demanding , but is necessitated when you are 54 . regards ,

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments I'm not a huge reader of short stories but I recently enjoyed 'married love' by Tessa Hadley and you can listen to a discussion with her on radio 4 book club in their archive.

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments p.s if you are able to listen to podcasts The New Yorker has a brilliant monthly short story read by an author who has picked one from the archive and then discusses it, I've found some great authors there.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 800 comments If you read via Kindle then picking up these might give you an eclectic selection:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

There's also a volume one.

Barbarasimmings | 4 comments Anna , you galloped a little away .

Barbarasimmings | 4 comments Was expecting bellow, Eisner and the rest of them , with those have emerged on the scene , as Jewish writers on non-Jewish themes .

message 7: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Jun 21, 2016 06:26AM) (new)

Liz | 3426 comments Mod
Barbara, try The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter.

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter

Barbarasimmings | 4 comments not exactly wanting to be torn apart at the moment . although contemplation of it is less than prohibitive .

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments You might enjoy P.G. Wodehouse or Dorothy L. Sayers. They don't just write short stories, but I've enjoyed collections from both.

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments Ajk77 wrote: "William Somerset Maugham - anything except the Ashenden ones (somewhat dated spy stories)

Rudyard Kipling - Plain Tales from the Hills

Saki - the Best of Saki especially Tobermory, Sredni Vashtar..."

I enjoyed Saki very much as well. Excellent short story writer.

message 11: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Colewood | 3 comments The Club Of Queer Trades

For those of you tied for time and looking for something more on the shorter side of things, but lacking nothing in brilliance then few short stories can compete with the genius of Chesterton's The Club of Queer Trades.

To start with there is no book quite like it, so that alone will make it memorable. Then there's the detective character Basil, a recently dismissed and disgraced judge, who will leave you thinking that Sherlock Holmes is a shallow character by comparison.

The short piece manages to squeeze in no less than six stories, and here is where the genius lies: you can read each story in blissful isolation or should you dare to go on and read them all then you shall be surprisingly rewarded come your journey's end. And if that wasn't enough then Chesterton, in his own idiosyncratic style, will teach you never to judge anything on face value ever again.