The Readers discussion

Episode Discussions > London books

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Ewart | 47 comments A few good novels set in London:

The End of the Affair and The Ministry of Fear by Graham Greene
Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (not to everyone's taste, I know, but I like it)

message 2: by Nickelini (new)

Nickelini | 7 comments The discussion on London books was great. One of my favourite London books is What a Carve Up! by Jonathan Coe.

message 3: by Nickelini (new)

Nickelini | 7 comments And since Simon is so grouchy about every urban British book being set in London . . . let's hear a list of books set in other British cities. I know hundreds set in the country (who doesn't love the country house novel?), but I'd like to read more about people in Liverpool and Manchester, Bristol and Newcastle. Ideas?

message 4: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments Most of Kate Atkinson's books that I have read take place in cities in the north of England. Behind the Scenes of the Museum is set
in York, Emotionally Wierd is set in Dundee (Scotland), and the Jackson Brodie series is a bit all over (Leeds, Cambridge and Edinburgh).

If you want to go the classic route, Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South is set mostly in Manchester.

message 5: by Nickelini (new)

Nickelini | 7 comments Ruthiella wrote: "Most of Kate Atkinson's books that I have read take place in cities in the north of England. Behind the Scenes of the Museum is set
in York, Emotionally Wierd is set in Dundee (Scotland), and the J..."

Behind the Scenes of the Museum is high on my TBR pile, but your comment will bump it a little higher. Maybe my next book. Thanks!

message 6: by Books_Steve (new)

Books_Steve | 19 comments There are so many! Absolute Beginners by Colin Macinnes is a classic London novel I read when I was much younger. Bad Penny Blues is a 2010 London noir novel by Cathi Unsworth set in 1950s/1960s London which I really enjoyed. I plan to read The Lonely Londoners by Sam Selvon, London belongs to me by Norman Collins and London Fields by Martin Amis.

message 7: by Books_Steve (new)

Books_Steve | 19 comments I think a follow up episode on novels set in Britain but outside London might be of interest. I would recommend Once upon a time in England by Helen Walsh, published in 2008 and set in the North West of England mostly in Warrington and Manchester.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) | 27 comments I have just about finished Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave starting in London right at the beginning of WWII ! It is really good . It is supposedly based on some letters of correspondence between Cleave's grandparents during the war. It is easy reading and a lovely character driven story .

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (bookertalk) Resistance by Owen Sheers is an alternative WW2 novel set in Wales. On the Black Hills by Brice Chatwin is a wonderful novel set on a farm on the border between Wales and England highly recommend this.

message 10: by Eurocrime (new)

Eurocrime | 1 comments I really enjoy Christopher Fowler's Bryant and May series which explores a different aspect or area of London each book. Eg The Water Room looks at the underground rivers. Very funny too.

message 11: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 251 comments Dawn wrote: "On the Black Hills by Brice Chatwin is a wonderful novel set on a farm on the border between Wales and England highly recommend this. "

You may recall that On the The Black Hill was one of the seven books I recommended that Simon read.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (bookertalk) Thomas wrote: "Dawn wrote: "On the Black Hills by Brice Chatwin is a wonderful novel set on a farm on the border between Wales and England highly recommend this. "

You may recall that On the The Black Hill was o..."

good to know we have the same taste