Mumbai Bookworms discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
Book of the Month Discussions > BOTM July 2016 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharadha (last edited Jun 27, 2016 12:32AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sharadha Jayaraman (jayaras) | 338 comments Mod
Hi members,

We'll utilise this thread to discuss our first group read. Please do make sure that you have read the rules beforehand.

I'll be putting up a list of participants soon. Looking forward to your enthusiastic participation!

Blurb:
EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

Happy reading :)

message 2: by Sharadha (last edited Jun 28, 2016 05:20AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Participants:

1. Prakhar
2. Nitesh
3. Jenish

message 3: by Nitesh (new) - added it

Nitesh Kanthaliya | 59 comments Hey, Do we have a schedule?

Nitesh, how do you mean?

We do read the book between July 1st and 31st if that's what you mean. How much you complete in a day/week is up to you, I'd think because everyone has different reading speeds and find the story more or less gripping than another.

Indrani Sen | 80 comments This is a superb book. Happy reading to all.

Jenish Tailor Just started this book today! Hopefully I can keep up! Count me in!

Jenish, I hope that you enjoy it! :) Looking forward to seeing you participate in the discussion.

Fangirlalert_07 | 10 comments Can I join this challenge now or is it too late?? Because I'd over to have group discussion on this book.

Fangirlalert_07 wrote: "Can I join this challenge now or is it too late?? Because I'd over to have group discussion on this book."

Not at all late, in fact, we are going to start this read only on Friday, 1st of July. Looking forward to seeing your active participation in the discussion, Fangirlalert_07!

Fangirlalert_07 | 10 comments Thank you! I'd love to share my view about the book❤️

I started with it today morning and am a few pages in - not many big shockers yet. Will probably complete a couple of chapters today.

Fangirlalert_07 | 10 comments I am about a 100 pages into it and I really like that it is fast paced and keeps you interested from the very beginning I think I a, really going to love this book because as of now I am enjoying myself a lot! What about you guys?? Did you like it?

Fangirlalert_07 wrote: "I am about a 100 pages into it and I really like that it is fast paced and keeps you interested from the very beginning I think I a, really going to love this book because as of now I am enjoying m..."

You are ahead of me at least :P I am 1/3rd into chapter 3 and I'm finding it a little slow! :( Just that nothing happens through the first two chapters except for the girls being aimless in their lives, freakish in their weirdness and fantasising over every second guy they see. I hope that something happens in the next few chapters real quick.

I do like the time jumps though, keeps me guessing the links between the characters like Anna and Tom, for instance. Ultimately, I wish to deduce how Megan and Rachel are connected in the plot.

message 14: by Sharadha (last edited Jul 04, 2016 09:08PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Okay, so I am a little into Chapter 11 and I know (view spoiler).

The pace is picking up and I like it more now to keep going for a few more pages. The events of Saturday evening are unfolding rather well.

Indrani Sen | 80 comments I don't remember the central character's name, but remember rooting for her a lot.

Indrani, are you talking about Rachel? Yeah, I don't like her much but I prefer her to Megan in a weird way :P

Indrani Sen | 80 comments Sharadha wrote: "Indrani, are you talking about Rachel? Yeah, I don't like her much but I prefer her to Megan in a weird way :P"

Yes. I couldn't stop myself from empathizing with her.

I left the read with a cliffhanger end today morning. It's getting way better than it started and I'm glad that I stuck on. Indrani, you are right, I am rooting for Rachel among the three women! She just needs to stay far away from drinks and she'll be fine. I still want to know what happened on Saturday night! :(

Indrani Sen | 80 comments Yes... the pace picks up considerably later... I found this one much better than "Gone Girl"

Fangirlalert_07 | 10 comments Sharadha wrote: "I left the read with a cliffhanger end today morning. It's getting way better than it started and I'm glad that I stuck on. Indrani, you are right, I am rooting for Rachel among the three women! Sh..."
I finished reading the book and it was so good I loved it! And I was definitely rooting for Rachel from the very beginning! Guys you can find the whole review on my blog!

message 21: by Soniya (new)

Soniya Yadav (bookandcoffeelove) Hello all!!

Done with it - about 3.5 stars for me (although I've given it 4) - the pace was fine once it picks up. I final revelation of the suspense left me unconvinced though. I haven't read Gone Girl (but I have seen the movie so I kind of know what happens :P) but the two don't compare. I found Gone Girl, the movie, way better than this one (the book). I may be a little eccentric that way, but I definitely thought that this book was wrong on too many levels ((view spoiler)).

Soniya wrote: "Hello all!! "

Hi Soniya! Are you going to be joining us for this read?

Indrani Sen | 80 comments Sharadha wrote: "Done with it - about 3.5 stars for me (although I've given it 4) - the pace was fine once it picks up. I final revelation of the suspense left me unconvinced though. I haven't read Gone Girl (but I..."

I agree to what you say. There were wrong stuff in this book.(view spoiler)

message 25: by Soniya (new)

Soniya Yadav (bookandcoffeelove) What are you guys reading by the way???

message 26: by Sharadha (last edited Jul 11, 2016 10:03PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Soniya wrote: "What are you guys reading by the way???"

Hi Soniya, we are reading The Girl on the Train as the book of the month for July. Hope you can join in :)

Fangirlalert_07 | 10 comments Sharadha wrote: "Done with it - about 3.5 stars for me (although I've given it 4) - the pace was fine once it picks up. I final revelation of the suspense left me unconvinced though. I haven't read Gone Girl (but I..."
Hmm I agree, I did enjoy the book but I also rated it 3.5/10 on my blog and to be honest I did think that it was a little overhyped!

It definitely is overhyped now that I think about it. For a large part of the book nothing but drinking happens and the end unfolds much too quickly in the last couple of chapters with an unbefitting overall message. Indrani, I'd rather read a story about 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned' than 'boys have all the fun' :-/.

Did any of you see the movie trailer? Pathetic attempt at resurrecting the novel.

Indrani Sen | 80 comments I somehow virulently disliked the gone girl heroine. Since I am bothered enough to dislike her so much, I have to agree that the book is good.

Again perhaps unjustifiably, I sympathized a lot with Rachel and liked this book better. I suppose this is all to do with personal prejudices and the ambient mood during reading. :)

Fangirlalert_07 | 10 comments Sharadha wrote: "It definitely is overhyped now that I think about it. For a large part of the book nothing but drinking happens and the end unfolds much too quickly in the last couple of chapters with an unbefitti..."

Haha and yes the end unfolds way too quickly!