Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

General Fiction > Anthologies

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.J. (new)

C.J. McKee (cjmckee) | 107 comments Greetings!

How do you all feel about anthologies? Have you submitted to a magazine or book? Have you created your own? I have a number of short stories and it's been nagging me that at some point I need to compile them into an anthology, themed between fantasy and science fiction. What are your thoughts? What has worked for you? Thanks in advance!

Tara Woods Turner From what I've read anthologies are not necessarily great sellers. Even when priced competitively they are difficult to pull in new readers and difficult to hook older ones unless there is a clear connection to other titles they have previously shown an interest in. The average reader goes through 12 books a year and even more voracious consumers concentrate on their favorite genres. The thinking seems to be that anthologies force you to endure 7 or 8 mediocre stories to get to the few really good ones, and this applies to even acclaimed authors like Molly Anyipole etc.

Having said that there is still a place for your short fiction. Play up any connections they may have to longer titles you may have. If it is a stand-alone package it as a possible prequel and gauge reader interest in a possible longer piece. Offer short stories on your author site as a gateway to your back catalog.

I hope others can chime in with more advice and experience. Short fiction can be lucrative fir authors and gratifying for readers with the right approach and marketing. Good luck and keep us posted.

message 3: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Morris (berniem) | 124 comments I have contributed to several anthologies and also written a few of my own, after inviting other authors. Poetry and children's seem to sell the best, although by no means best-sellers, but one of the best adult ones I know was Indie Bites which contained several genres by different authors. Best of luck.

message 4: by C.J. (new)

C.J. McKee (cjmckee) | 107 comments Nice thanks for the feedback Bernie!

message 5: by Lenita (last edited Jun 19, 2016 09:02PM) (new)

Lenita Sheridan | 1010 comments As a reader, I prefer anthologies to novels. I like reading something short and being able to put it down and have closure without getting into the middle of a long, drawn out book.

As a writer, I have some short stories and a novella that I am thinking of putting together into a collection.

message 6: by C.J. (new)

C.J. McKee (cjmckee) | 107 comments Thanks Lenita!

message 7: by Steve (last edited Jun 20, 2016 06:24PM) (new)

Steve Harrison (stormingtime) | 77 comments I have stories in a couple of anthologies (I was flattered to be included in the latest one) and they are a great way of getting your work out there with a bunch of fellow authors.

However, as a reader I prefer reading novels.

message 8: by C.J. (new)

C.J. McKee (cjmckee) | 107 comments Thanks Steve!

message 9: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Avery (scarlettavery) | 86 comments I haven't tried creating my own anthologies but I think it would work for short stories so long as they belong to one genre.

message 10: by C.J. (new)

C.J. McKee (cjmckee) | 107 comments Thanks Scarlett!

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine Hayton (ccmhayton) | 324 comments As a avid reader I enjoy both novels and anthologies. I prefer traditionally published anthologies by multiple authors. Most of what I have read contain short stories or novellas of the same genre. I shy away from self-published anthologies by one author.

Hope that helps...