Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > My book's ISBN isn't visible

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marlana (last edited Jun 16, 2016 01:06PM) (new)

Marlana Williams (marlanawilliams) | 33 comments Quick question.. I needed to grab my ISBN in a pinch to copy/paste and noticed that when I searched my own book Doll of Dawson that the ISBN wasn't visible. I had to go in to my own [edit data] section and noticed that one of the staff had made librarian notes including the ISBN. This is fine, but should it not also be visible?

I tried entering it in to the field and it said it was assigned (to my book) already.

message 2: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments It is, it's just on another edition with a slightly different cover:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

GR does not replace covers or remove old editions. When you publish a new edition and reuse the ISBN, the database does not permit duplicate ISBN's and we add a new edition to GR. That's why you couldn't add it to this edition, it's already been used.

Presumably, you have set the newest edition/cover to be the default, so it's the one that turns up when you search. If you had searched by ISBN, you would have got the other edition (which has a link in the description to the newest one.)

If you show the additional info on the book, you'll see there are several editions combined. Press the "All Editions" link, and "expand info" at the top of the resulting page, you'll see exactly that: all the editions, with all possible ASIN's, ISBN's etc GR knows about.

message 3: by Marlana (new)

Marlana Williams (marlanawilliams) | 33 comments Got it, thanks! :)