The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Ridiculously Long Books

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. Patrick (new)

J. Patrick Black | 4 comments A few years back, I found myself with a somewhat unexpected stretch of free time and decided to use this windfall of luxury to pick up a book I'd started to think I'd never have time to read, War and Peace. At well over 1,000 pages, it was quite the daunting task, but it turned out to be a really great experience, and since then I've made a point of reading at least one such ridiculously long book every year. Other selections have included Don Quixote, Infinite Jest, and Joyce's Ulysses (Happy Bloomsday, btw!).

It's about time to get started on this year's RLB, and I was hoping the folks from TNBBC might offer up a recommendation or two. I've seen the term "doorstop" used around Goodreads to refer to a tome of 600 pages or more, but I'm looking for something closer to the four digit mark. Bonus points if the book's a classic, one of those often discussed but seldom read monsters that, once conquered, can be mounted as a trophy on my shelf.

Much thanks for your help, and happy reading!

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) The Count of Monte Cristo, a good classic. Or for something contemporary and post apocalyptic, Swan Song or The Stand.

message 3: by Pamk (new)

Pamk | 20 comments I read A Suitable Boy quite a few years ago...think it comes in at about 1500 pages. I recall enjoying it very much at the time. Good luck!

message 4: by Rosa Saks (new)

Rosa Saks | 1 comments I'm half way through War and Peace and enjoying it far more than I expected. It's taking a very long time though!

Last year while recovering from a hip replacement I read The Count of Monte Cristo and years ago read A Suitable Boy while on holiday so I'd second the recommendations for those two.

I hadn't heard of Swan Song before so will look into that.

This book divides opinion, but how about the Murakami 1Q84 trilogy. I had a very happy couple of months reading that last year.

Great thread, looking forward to seeing more suggestions.

message 5: by Karen M (last edited Jun 17, 2016 03:57PM) (new)

Karen M | 1948 comments The Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell

Shōgun by James Clavell

Make Way for Lucia by E.F. Benson - Very long but very funny lite read

Just about any book by James A. Michener

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice 11/22/63 is a good one to get lost in, as is Under the Dome

I cannot agree more with Karen M regarding Shōgun, but if you dive into that one you may as well read the entire Asian Saga: Tai-Pan, Gai-Jin, Noble House and King Rat. King Rat is the weakest in my opinion, but they are all worth reading.

message 7: by Portia (last edited Jun 17, 2016 10:17PM) (new)

Portia | 16 comments I just got a copy of Annie Proulx's doorstop Barkskins about the logging industry in the CA & US Pacific Northwest. Need to break something but not badly enuf to need brainkillers ;-)

message 8: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica | 49 comments Agree with the The Count of Monte Cristo recommendation. Very well done.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Absolutely agree with The Count of Monte Cristo. I also recommend Charles Dickens' Bleak House.

message 10: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 573 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Absolutely agree with The Count of Monte Cristo. I also recommend Charles Dickens' Bleak House."

I second the recommendation of Bleak House.
There is also The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling, Middlemarch and Clarissa, or, the History of a Young Lady.

message 11: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) I bought Fall of Giants by Ken Follett for my ereader over a year ago but haven't read it yet. It's listed as over 900 pages,then I bought the second in the trilogy at a garage sale. Lots of reading in two books.

message 12: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 1948 comments Kandice wrote: "11/22/63 is a good one to get lost in, as is Under the Dome

I cannot agree more with Karen M regarding Shōgun, but if you dive into that one you may as..."

I've only read Shōgun and Noble House but I remember them being more or less stand alones so I didn't feel like I missed out not reading the first two but then again it wouldn't be the first series I've read out of order!

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 547 comments I second everyone who said The Count of Monte Cristo - loved that one. Two contemporary recommendations for you: The Lonely Polygamist (602 pages) and A Little Life (720 pages). They're both stunning IMHO. I read A Little Life earlier this year and The Lonely Polygamist in 2011 (planning on re-reading it later this year). Content warning: A Little Life is extremely graphic at times.

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin Michelle wrote: "The Count of Monte Cristo, a good classic. Or for something contemporary and post apocalyptic, Swan Song or The Stand."

Yes, to The Count of Monte Cristo!

message 15: by Karin (new)

Karin Karen M wrote: "The Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell

Shōgun by James Clavell

Make Way for Lucia by E.F. Benson - Ve..."

Actually, Make Way for Lucia is an omnibus; the books were originally published separately. But that would make a fairly long book!

message 16: by Pamela (last edited Jun 20, 2016 06:52PM) (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 292 comments Gone with the Wind is over 1,000 pages ... Les Misérables is a hefty 1,463 ... World Without End is 1,014. Lo, makes me tired and I've only read Margaret Mitchell!

I'm going to try reading Team of Rivals this summer -- at 916 pages, its pretty darn thick!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Team of Rivals is excellent.

message 18: by J. Patrick (new)

J. Patrick Black | 4 comments I've seen some great reviews of The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton, but never spoke with anyone who's actually read it. Quite formidable at nearly 850pp. Anyone tried it?

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris Dietzel (chrisdietzel) | 92 comments Atlas Shrugged for sure

message 20: by Leena (new)

Leena Maria (leenamaria) | 2 comments Pamk wrote: "I read A Suitable Boy quite a few years ago...think it comes in at about 1500 pages. I recall enjoying it very much at the time. Good luck!"

I bought the book (hard cover) as well and enjoyed it very much. Then my mother borrowed it and it is still in her bookshelf :)

message 21: by jennyreadit (new)

jennyreadit (goodreadscomjenne) | 13 comments Starting 11-23-62. If I can't get it read by the start of school, I'm doomed

message 22: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 604 comments War and Peace was such a great reading experience for me! Daunting yes, but so rewarding in the end.

I'm another one who would recommend The Count of Monte Cristo - great book. I also feel that you (almost always) can't go wrong with Dickens.

For a contemporary read, I highly recommend The Instructions by Adam Levin.

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 292 comments J. wrote: "I've seen some great reviews of The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton, but never spoke with anyone who's actually read it. Quite formidable at nearly 850pp. Anyone tried it?"

I have! Didn't think of it but it is long. I wouldn't say it was a favorite of mine (I gave it three stars) but it is extraordinary as it mimics 18th-century melodrama. Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 24: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 266 comments The Source by James Michener;Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer by Sena Jetter Naslund; The Winds of War and War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk, are all RLBs that I would recommend. I enjoyed all of these,

message 25: by Neelanjan (new)

Neelanjan (neelanjankayal) | 1 comments Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. It is irrationally long (at 2007 pages).

message 26: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 604 comments I can't really recommend these since I haven't actually read them yet (though they are on my TBR list), but The Crimson Petal and the White and The Quincunx are both RLBs that I've heard great things about.