Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > The Derailment Topic

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (last edited Jun 16, 2016 10:21AM) (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
Have you ever been reading a thread on Goodreads and it gets derailed? You were reading all about book marketing and suddenly you have 15 posts off topic about the benefits of citrus fruits on sea voyages.

Getting off topic is fun sometimes, but we should probably stay on topic if we can... except here!

Try to derail this thread. I dare you. You can't just change the topic, it has to be sneaky... maybe mention something on the sly that will hook someone else, maybe work in teams, or maybe, just maybe, let it flow organically through one conversation to the next. But no... 'Speaking of feathers, I like Jupiter.' stuff!

As this topic is not yet derailed it will start on rails.

Topic: Trains

Has anyone ever played Ticket to Ride? I think it is a great board game, all about trains. It is easy to learn and can help to gradually introduce those that are scared of complicated board games into the hobby. There is subtle strategy, it is fun, and it allows me to pick green trains! Who doesn't like green trains?

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) And now I've got Ticket to Ride stuck in my head. Thanks for the earworm, CB! Not that the Beatles are the worst band to have on my brain radio, but ya know, I'm trying to work here. At least it wasn't Barbie Girl again.

message 3: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments My brother played a game called railroad tycoon for a while that he really enjoyed. And my husband played a similar game on his phone for a while. I'm strangely not that into trains, although we did have an amazing train set when I was little that I loved. It had a mountain with tunnels and everything. Very fun. Also educational. It was when I learned that you could clean the tracks of any amount of rust with coca-cola that I learned how bad that stuff is for your teeth.

message 4: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

(it is amazing when you find out Mods are excellent at derailing topics)

I don't think that a single time when Ticket to Ride is played around my place that someone hasn't burst into that song!
I mean, come on, Trains and Barbie Girl go hand in hand, am I right? Aqua is pretty old school, some don't like them, but they did have some good hits. Cartoon Heroes is one of my best Dance Dance Revolution songs!

message 5: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Virginia wrote: "My brother played a game called railroad tycoon for a while that he really enjoyed. And my husband played a similar game on his phone for a while. I'm strangely not that into trains, although we di..."

You used the rails... to attempt to derail. Oh. +5 Meta points for that!

message 6: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments C.B. wrote: "You used the rails... to attempt to derail. Oh. +5 Meta points for that!"

Thank you, good sir! Do I get a bonus to my next saving throw or just a speed boost to my connection from Chicago to Portland?

message 7: by Morris (last edited Jun 16, 2016 10:38AM) (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) I have traveled by train and also by bus. What I like about trains is how they can put you into a deep sleep withe the rhythmic clackety, clack. Clack sound underneath you. And really, on a bus there us no conductor, no diner car, or someone to say "All aboard."

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) C.B. wrote: "Aqua is pretty old school."

Get. Off. My. Lawn.

;P

Seriously though, nothing that came into existence after I reached voting age is allowed to be called old school, dammit! Aquanet, maybe, but Aqua, no.

message 9: by Zoltán (last edited Jun 16, 2016 10:54AM) (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments I'm not that much of a train fanatic, but do have some of that kind as well. In one case we had a common goal, though. In the early periods of the Internet (around 1996 if memory serves), we found a German online model train system. It had a webcam (whooping 1-2 fps!) and you were able to start/stop the trains and change lanes.

Well... what would someone trained in finding weaknesses in systems do with such a toy? You guessed it. I spent about 15 minutes finding a way to derail one of the trains. The really funny part came after that. I notified the operator that one of the trains was derailed. I watched him approaching the table and start to carefully put back the tiny carriages on the rail. Before he could do it I switched the power back on again. I saw a fantastic slideshow of him jumping back from the train and fall back out of the camera view. :)

Did I mention that I also had a tomato plant in the USA around that time and nurtured it from Europe with a robot through the net?

Golden age of Internet...

Tara Woods Turner Love riding trains but train whistles creep. Me. Out.
Just me? Okay. Just me.

message 11: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4283 comments Mod
What about Aqua Velva? Remember that stuff? Maybe they still make it. Not sure. I wouldn't know. I don't wear cologne. My first wife bought me cologne all the time, but never Aqua Velva. I hated wearing it. It made me itch. I can't stand being around people with a lot of cologne or perfume. I think I have an allergy to it as I start itching and sneezing and find it hard to breathe.

Anyone have any allergies to share?

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments I'm allergic to trains and buses and aeroplanes. Travel is a misery unless I can do it on my own two feet.

Or is it people I can't hack....

Am I a misogynist or am I just seeing how far off topic I can go?

message 13: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

*Virginia earns one use of bold in this topic. Use it well!"

Yes, I remember when Aqua came out, I guess... wait a second... who is that on MY lawn? Get off it, Dern kids! *Shakes fist*

I am so sensitive to Aqua(velva) and other perfumes. I am also allergic to dust. And cats. And feathers. And trees. And lawns. And kids on my dern lawn!

message 14: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments Font alterations aside, I am always bold. ALWAYS.

message 15: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments Ooohhh... and now in staring at "always" I just did that thing where if you look at a word long enough it looses all meaning and just becomes a conglomeration of letters that seem like they shouldn't go together...

Funny, that hasn't happened in a while. Might be time for my second coffee.

message 16: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

I don't like coffee. I don't like hot beverages in general. Don't really know why, perhaps because they are too 'adult' for me.

message 17: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Eyre (rachaeleyre) | 192 comments I've always wanted to do a coffee crawl instead of a bar crawl, seeing as I'm a complete lightweight, but I'd probably be a jittery wreck at the end of it. Did you know that a spider on caffeine makes a crazier web than one on LSD, which is very precise? Who the heck did that experiment, incidentally?

message 18: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Rachael wrote: "I've always wanted to do a coffee crawl instead of a bar crawl, seeing as I'm a complete lightweight, but I'd probably be a jittery wreck at the end of it. Did you know that a spider on caffeine ma..."

Somebody with too much time on his hands!

message 19: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Virginia wrote: "My brother played a game called railroad tycoon for a while that he really enjoyed. And my husband played a similar game on his phone for a while. I'm strangely not that into trains, although we di..."

Please don't mention the word teeth. Still hurting here. :>

message 20: by Marie Silk (last edited Jun 16, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments I think the term pub crawl sounds ghastly. A crawling baby is cute. But if you pair any other word with crawl it sounds like spiders and nightmares.

message 21: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments C.B. wrote: "Have you ever been reading a thread on Goodreads and it gets derailed? You were reading all about book marketing and suddenly you have 15 posts off topic about the benefits of citrus fruits on sea ..."

I have played ticket to ride, and I'm amused that you used the title derailment for this post. Sometimes me and my buddies would all gather and play board games. House on Haunted hill is my favorite. Have you played that one?

message 22: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments Tara wrote: "Love riding trains but train whistles creep. Me. Out.
Just me? Okay. Just me."

I live near the tracks and the trains rattle my house as they go by. Talk about earthquake fear. Luckily, I'm not in CA.

message 23: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments Rachael wrote: "I've always wanted to do a coffee crawl instead of a bar crawl, seeing as I'm a complete lightweight, but I'd probably be a jittery wreck at the end of it. Did you know that a spider on caffeine ma..."

How about a PediCafe... like a Pedilounge, those multiperson bike contraptions that you bar hop with. The caffeine will burst everyone's speed.

message 24: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Nat wrote: "C.B. wrote: "I have played ticket to ride, and I'm amused that you used the title derailment for this post. Sometimes me and my buddies would all gather and play board games. House on Haunted hill is my favorite. Have you played that one?"

I actually got that one for my birthday last year and it has seen quite a few play-throughs. No matter what though, if I am the one responsible for the 'Haunt'... it is always tentacle monsters or some variation. It is like they know or something!

My favourite right now is called Terra Mystica. It is confusing at first, but it is great fun. The best part is that no one is doing the same strategy, like in other games! Great fun!

message 25: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments C.B. wrote: "I actually got that one for my birthday last year and it has seen quite a few play-throughs. No matter what though, if I am the one responsible for the 'Haunt'... it is always tentacle monsters or some variation. It is like they know or something!"

Hmm, I think the game is onto you. It's lovely, though. I like how there are (for most people) a lot of options for the Haunting.

I'll look for it. I have a friend who is a mega board gamer and I bet he has it. He has everything. Jealous, a bit.

message 26: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

I don't own it myself yet, but I have asked for it for this birthday... subtle hints... that were not at all subtle! :D

message 27: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 126 comments For the record, no one should ever complain about getting a Beatles song stuck in their had. That is simply music blasphemy.

As for trains, I used to love to ride them when I was a kid. I have a vague memory of my mother taking me cross country on a train and waking up wanting Rice Krispies... I also think I had some sort of cut infection on my finger with pus coming out of it. Maybe it was a dream, however... I'm not sure. My childhood is a blur.

Btw, I'm really good at derailing. I should have a medal or trophy or something. I'm very thankful for this thread, C.B.

And put your big elf pants on and learn to like mochas at the least, like I did. :P

message 28: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments G.G. wrote: "Please don't mention the word teeth. Still hurting here. :"

Sorry, G.G.! Think of soft foods. Delicious pudding and yummy soups...

message 29: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments C.B. wrote: "I don't like coffee. I don't like hot beverages in general. Don't really know why, perhaps because they are too 'adult' for me."

Try hot buttered rum, perhaps? That's adult, delicious, and gluttonous too!

message 30: by John Hooker (new)

John Hooker | 90 comments When I was thirteen, I got to ride on a train pulled (quite by chance) by the world's fastest steam locomotive (the Mallard) which had retired. It was the first time that I traveled more than 100 mph:
http://pasttimesandpresnttensions.blo...
or,
http://tinyurl.com/j8rg74z

Fortunately, it didn't derail. You don't forget stuff like that.

message 31: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Virginia wrote: "C.B. wrote: "I don't like coffee. I don't like hot beverages in general. Don't really know why, perhaps because they are too 'adult' for me."

Try hot buttered rum, perhaps? That's adult, delicious..."

Rum you say? Hmmm....

message 32: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments Lyra wrote: "Maybe it was a dream, however... I'm not sure. My childhood is a blur. "

I don't know which is better. My first flash memories come from when I was six months old. Since the age of two, I have clear memories. Not just events, but thoughts, feelings etc.

C.B. wrote: "I don't own it myself yet, but I have asked for it for this birthday... subtle hints... that were not at all subtle! :D"

Hm... C.B. standing up with a lot of people around: "Khm... may I have your attention, please! Who wants to buy me a Terra Mystica? Just asking..." :)

message 33: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor Zoltán wrote:
I don't know which is better. My first flash memories come from when I was six months old. Since the age of tw..."

Speaking of flash memory, a couple years ago I picked up a number of 8 gig flash drives for $1.47 apiece on clearance.

message 34: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments J.J. wrote: "Speaking of flash memory, a couple years ago I picked up a number..."

How much would you give me for my 8MB flash drive?

message 35: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I still have the SD card that I bought for my Palm Pilot back in the early aughts. 256mb and cost me $59. Two years ago I bought a 500gb flash drive for the same price.

The speed at which technology is evolving is amazing.

message 36: by Lyra (last edited Jun 17, 2016 08:08AM) (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 126 comments Zoltán wrote: "Lyra wrote: "Maybe it was a dream, however... I'm not sure. My childhood is a blur. "

I don't know which is better. My first flash memories come from when I was six months old. Since the age of tw..."

6 months old?! Are you human?? Or were you some sort of cyborg humanoid Terminator baby?! I bet you could eat your baby food with laser precision. Seriously, that's mighty impressive.

And I want a new flash drive. Mine is almost all full.

Speaking of Flash, anyone watch that show and think Barry is an idiot for going back and messing the entire timeline up just to have his mom back? I thought he got over the past enough to accept things. That's what the "Speed Force" wanted him to do and all. I swear... He's so mommy obsessed!

message 37: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4283 comments Mod
Lyra wrote: "Speaking of Flash, anyone watch that show and think Barry is an idiot for going back and messing the entire timeline up just to have his mom back? I thought he got over the past enough to accept things. That's what the "Speed Force" wanted him to do and all. I swear... He's so mommy obsessed! "

It's in my list, but I haven't watched it yet. Not one of those binge watching types. We generally watch three or four shows at a time, one episode at a time. We'll get to The Flash eventually, so thanks for the spoilers. *grin*

We're also nutty people in that we don't have TV at home, so what we watch is stuff on Netflix. I have to say I really like Netflix's Daredevil series. It's so much better than that crap heap Ben Affleck did a few years ago. Oh, man, that stunk. Jessica Jones is pretty good, too.

message 38: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Christina wrote: "I still have the SD card that I bought for my Palm Pilot back in the early aughts. 256mb and cost me $59. Two years ago I bought a 500gb flash drive for the same price.

The speed at which technolo..."

The speed of evolution is actually quite scary.

I sometimes wonder where it will go. Has anybody else read I Robot?I, Robot

Food for thought...

message 39: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Zoltán wrote: "Hm... C.B. standing up with a lot of people around: "Khm... may I have your attention, please! Who wants to buy me a Terra Mystica? Just asking..." :)"

People seem to think I am hard to buy gifts for... I don't know why. I really like books, art, elves, and games. I don't think it should be that hard...
Anyways, this time I posted on Facebook about my favourite new game, and that I didn't own it at all.
Subtle, no. But I am tired of getting lawn furniture and stuffed characters from tv shows I do not watch.

message 40: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Jane wrote: "The speed of evolution is actually quite scary.

I sometimes wonder where it will go. Has anybody else read I Robot?I, Robot

Food for thought..."

Speaking of which, Evolve was such a terrible game. A good premise, but they shot themselves in the foot with the day one DLC content, and overall lack of options. If they didn't rush for the deadline and added all they had originally wanted, that would have been a great game, instead of what it became.

message 41: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments C.B. wrote: "Subtle, no. But I am tired of getting lawn furniture and stuffed characters from tv shows I do not watch..."

I don't watch TV much either and boy was I surprised when I first saw my old favorite guy on TV after like nearly twenty years. He was a bald good looking man with a goatie as opposed to a head full of wavy hair. I didn't recognized him at first even when I saw his name, Only after looking at him carefully did I see some resemblance. I still love Howie Mandel! :P

message 42: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Lyra wrote: "For the record, no one should ever complain about getting a Beatles song stuck in their had. That is simply music blasphemy..."

Hey I just got me a Beatles t-shirt today. My first ever. :P

message 43: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Virginia wrote: "G.G. wrote: "Please don't mention the word teeth. Still hurting here. :"

Sorry, G.G.! Think of soft foods. Delicious pudding and yummy soups..."

I'd better not think of food at all. I'll gain weight just seeing mental pictures. :P

message 44: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Hey. Pictures of food. Good.

But actual food better.

Trust me. I have eaten both

message 45: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Jane wrote: "Hey. Pictures of food. Good.

But actual food better.

Trust me. I have eaten both"

ROFL!!!!! What color does...well...you know...ink comes in colorful but how does it come out? /ducks

message 46: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

G.G. wrote: "Howie Mandel."

I still can't believe that Howie Mandel was Gizmo in Gremlins. Gremlins is one of my favourite movies that happens during Christmas, but isn't about Christmas.

message 47: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Jane wrote: "Hey. Pictures of food. Good.

But actual food better.

Okay, show of hands, who here would voluntarily allow themselves to be stranded on a deserted island with one other person, just to see if after a few days of living on coconuts, they start morphing into a chicken leg or t-bone steak?

message 48: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

I don't need an island... it is only an hour until my lunch break and already this stapler looks like a piece of cake.

message 49: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments Christina wrote: "Jane wrote: "Hey. Pictures of food. Good.

But actual food better.

Okay, show of hands, who here would voluntarily allow themselves to be stranded on a deserted island..."

Well, I could think about a few people with whom I'd get stranded on an island for whatever reason...

message 50: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments Lyra wrote: "6 months old?! Are you human??"

I am officially registered as one :P
But you do not want to dig deeper *waves strangely*

About Flash: The easiest thing to mess up is history. Ask Schrödinger's cat...

« previous 1