Uncovered Book Club discussion

Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt, #1)
This topic is about Angela's Ashes
July 2016 > Angela's Ashes (Max's Pick- July 2016)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maxwell (welldonebooks) | 51 comments Mod
I'm so excited for us to dive into this harrowing memoir of Frank McCourt's life as the child of immigrants in 1930's Brooklyn.

As always, be courteous of spoiler warnings when commenting on your reading experience. Thank you! And happy reading :)

Jessaka You are picking great books. I read it long ago.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Kaso I, too, read it Angela's Ashes back when it first was published.

Rebecca Jane (bec3sjhdbzljldsgwsm) | 3 comments I actually read this at the beginning of January. I gave it three stars. It was an interesting insight into his life, but I found it too repetitive and I was bored a lot of the time.

Rebecca Jane (bec3sjhdbzljldsgwsm) | 3 comments I actually saw about five or six copies of this at an opp shop in my town today :3 (I live in Australia)

Britta Böhler Great pick, Max! Not sure I will have the time to re-read it, but I will certainly try.

Robert I've read it four times and it just gets better with each read.

Ashley Nicole (booksfora-rainyday) | 1 comments This book is one of my all time favorites! I am super excited to try to read it next month!!

Vicky (vickysbooknook) This is one of my favorites! Great choice :)

message 10: by Liv (new)

Liv (oliviareadstoomuch) I read the summary and it sounds like a great pick! Excited to finally read more non-fiction!

message 11: by Lexie (new) - added it

Lexie (lexiereadsbooks) | 3 comments Wow what perfect timing! I have a few books on the same vein as Angela's Ashes and was planning on reading this one ASAP. Well it looks like this is meant to be. So excited!

I've just started reading. Read Ch. 1! And wow, it is super sad already. But wonderfully written. I love the stream of consciousness style. He does it so well, like Joyce in Portrait of the Artist. Can't wait to read more and discuss with you all.

Well, I've just finished reading it. And for the first 100 pages or so I was a bit bored, and I did find it to be quite repetitive. But once you sort of fall into that rhythm, you can really start to appreciate the author's lyrical writing style and also sympathize with everything that's happening. I am eager to hear what others think about the book! Let me know if you're reading it. :)

message 14: by Liv (new)

Liv (oliviareadstoomuch) It's so sad so far I can't imagine what's to come and I'm barely about 20 pages in.