Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Ancient History (Old Threads) > August 2016 - 60s Counterculture

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3686 comments Mod
Sorry again for being late on the nominations everyone! I'm in the middle of packing my house for a move and preparing for a trip to China and working full time... so it's been a crazy couple of weeks. =\

This month's theme is 60s Counterculture. Woodstock took place in August, and it seems like it would be a fun theme. We're looking for books dealing with hippies, free love, war protests, feminism, desegregation, etc etc etc... Anything and everything that was a part of the counterculture and that made the parents of that time shake their heads and lament the lack of haircuts and real jobs. ;)
----------------

Eligibility Criteria:
- Historical fiction rule does not apply for this round only. Nominations can include HF, nonfiction, period fiction, or contemporary books. (It just seems wrong to exclude some of the best counterculture books out there just because they were contemporary to the period.)

All other rules apply:

- Series books: Books must be read by the group in order of publication.
If the GR series page is ordered by story chronology, it is acceptable to nominate books other than the first in the series, as long as the publication order is followed.

- Self-published and small or Indy press books are fine, but they MUST be available in print format (in addition to any ebook options), and must be available internationally.

- No self-nominations.

Here's the nomination info again:
The poll will be limited to TEN books only. Each person gets ONE nomination and ONE second, each. Nominations will need to be seconded to make it onto the poll, up to ten, determined by number of times each book has been seconded.

For a refresher on the process, view the full post here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Nomination Rules:
Please check to make sure that we have not already read the book you're nominating. You can check this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Or the group bookshelf: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Please include (and preferably link to) the title and the author in text, not cover images. Book cover images without a text title will not be counted. Nominations without book AND author will not be counted.

Nominations must now be accompanied by a brief explanation about how your nomination fits the theme. I will not accept a nomination without this.

The nominations will run until the 23rd, and the poll will go up on the 24th and run through the 30th. (I know that this is only a 6 day vote period, but I should be moving on Friday July 1st, so finalizing the poll that day would be pretty difficult for me.)

message 2: by Becky, Moddess (new)

PS... If you need ideas, here's a Goodreads Listopia: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 3: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I'll start things off with a nomination for 1968: The Year That Rocked the World by Mark Kurlansky.

The description:
"To some, 1968 was the year of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Yet it was also the year of the Martin Luther King, Jr., and Bobby Kennedy assassinations; the riots at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago; Prague Spring; the antiwar movement and the Tet Offensive; Black Power; the generation gap; avant-garde theater; the upsurge of the women’s movement; and the beginning of the end for the Soviet Union.

In this monumental book, Mark Kurlansky brings to teeming life the cultural and political history of that pivotal year, when television’s influence on global events first became apparent, and spontaneous uprisings occurred simultaneously around the world. Encompassing the diverse realms of youth and music, politics and war, economics and the media, 1968 shows how twelve volatile months transformed who we were as a people–and led us to where we are today. "

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 564 comments The Motorcycle Diaries by Ernesto Che Guevara

I've been wanting to read this one for ages.

In January 1952, two young men from Buenos Aires set out to explore South America on 'La Poderosa', the Powerful One: a 500cc Norton. One of them was the twenty-three-year-old Che Guevara.Written eight years before the Cuban Revolution, these are Che's diaries -- full of disasters and discoveries, high drama, low comedy and laddish improvisations. During his travels through Argentina, Chile, Peru and Venezuela, Che's main concerns are where the next drink is coming from, where the next bed is to be found and who might be around to share it. Che becomes a stowaway, a fireman and a football coach; he sometimes falls in love and frequently falls off the motorbike.Within a decade the whole world would know his name. His trip might have been an adventure of a lifetime -- had his lifetime not turned into a much greater adventure.

message 5: by Abigail (last edited Jun 16, 2016 09:46AM) (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 616 comments I’d like to propose a book published in 1971 but set in the ’60s: Thomas McGuane’s The Bushwhacked Piano. Has the virtue of being short!

It’s a picaresque tale about a young man who hits the road—a common theme for ’60s fiction, but not one of the more famous books on the subject. Quote from a review: “As a citizen, Nicholas Payne is not in the least solid. As a boyfriend, he is nothing short of disastrous, and his latest flame, the patrician Ann Fitzgerald, has done a wise thing by dropping him. But Ann isn't counting on Nicholas's wild persistence, or on the slapstick lyricism of Thomas McGuane, who in The Bushwhacked Piano sends his hero from Michigan to Montana on a demented mission of courtship whose highlights include a ride on a homicidal bronco and apprenticeship to the inventor of the world's first highrise for bats. The result is a tour de force of American Dubious.”

If it doesn’t qualify for some reason, I’d nominate Arcadia by Lauren Groff, though it only starts in the ’60s and moves on from there.

message 6: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Jun 16, 2016 10:22AM) (new)

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Freeman | 256 comments I nominate Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon: Laurel Canyon, Covert Ops & the Dark Heart of the Hippy Dream by David McGowan

Here is a summary...
In the 1960s and early 1970s a dizzying array of musical artists congregated in Laurel Canyon to create much of the music that provided the soundtrack to those turbulent times. But there was a dark side to that scene as well. Many didn't make it out alive, and many of those deaths remain shrouded in mystery to this day. Charles Manson was integrated into the scene more than most would care to admit, as well as various political operatives, up-and-coming politicians, and intelligence personnel, happily coexisting alongside a covert military installation. Discover the dark underbelly of a hippie utopia.

message 8: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Kathleen wrote: "I nominate Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon: Laurel Canyon, Covert Ops & the Dark Heart of the Hippy Dream by David McGowan

Here is a summary...
In the 1960s and early 1970s a dizzyi..."

Added. :)

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1066 comments I nominate
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

Goodreads description:
Tom Wolfe's much-discussed kaleidoscopic non-fiction novel chronicles the tale of novelist Ken Kesey and his band of Merry Pranksters. In the 1960s, Kesey led a group of psychedelic sympathizers around the country in a painted bus, presiding over LSD-induced "acid tests" all along the way. Long considered one of the greatest books about the history of the hippies, Wolfe's ability to research like a reporter and simultaneously evoke the hallucinogenic indulgence of the era ensures that this book, written in 1967, will live long in the counter-culture canon of American literature.

Peggyzbooksnmusic | 680 comments I'll second 1968: The Year That Rocked the World by Mark Kurlansky

Great theme for August!

message 12: by Kate (last edited Jun 17, 2016 06:51AM) (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments I nominate California Generation follows a group of young 60s kids through the Counterculture decade. Beautifully written, and it feels like everything is touched on without making it a self-conscious issue book: civil rights, the Black Power movement, the fallout of Japanese internment camps on a new generation of Japanese Americans, women's liberation, gay rights, Vietnam . . .

message 14: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8026 comments I can't decide between [title:Jonathan Livingstone Seagull] by Richard Bach and [title: Clockwork Orange] by Richard Burgess both are in their different ways sixties classics and deal with freedom in greatly different ways. Clockwork Orange is the more challenging and perhaps I should choose that.

message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (slkenn79) | 82 comments Kate wrote: "I nominate California Generation follows a group of young 60s kids through the Counterculture decade. Beautifully written, and it feels like everything is touched on without making i..."

I second this.

message 17: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 616 comments I’ll also second The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanconder) | 68 comments I'll second A Clockwork Orange and nominate The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan.

message 24: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette May | 15 comments The Feminine Mystique was a groundbreaker in 60s, so was "Sex and the Single Girl"" by Helen Gurley Brown. Both said in their different ways: "Yes! It's OK to do what you're doing." One cannot imagine what a positive re-enforcement that was in those days.

message 26: by Becky, Moddess (new)

OK the poll is going up now.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.