Into the Forest discussion

Articles on Fairy Tales > Forgotten fairytales slay the Cinderella stereotype

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalilah (last edited Jun 16, 2016 08:39AM) (new)

Jalilah | 4341 comments Mod
Forgotten fairytales slay the Cinderella stereotype
https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

I would like to read some of these fairy tales!
"Once upon a time … the fairytales you thought you knew had endings you wouldn’t recognise. A new collection of German folk stories has Hansel and Gretel getting married after an erotic encounter with a dwarf, an enchanted frog being kissed not by a damsel in distress but by a young man, and Cinderella using her golden slippers to recover her lover from beyond the moon."

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis That's a great article, Jalilah! Thanks for posting it. Just so happens that my library has an ebook version of The Turnip Princess and other newly discovered fairy tales by Franz Xaver von Schönwerth.

message 3: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 829 comments I want to read also!

message 4: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
THat is a great article. I've been seeing The Turnip Princess and other newly discovered fairy tales crop up in various rec feeds for the past year or so but hadn't really paid too much attention to it.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3550 comments Mod
I have the book, but haven't read it yet. I wonder if someone could nominate a group theme that this collection could be nominated for?

message 6: by Jalilah (last edited Jun 17, 2016 06:19AM) (new)

Margaret wrote: "I have the book, but haven't read it yet. I wonder if someone could nominate a group theme that this collection could be nominated for?"

Margaret I was just thinking the same thing! (even though I nominated Faeries and would still like it as a theme. But I can always read the Faerie books on my own....)

How about "Dark Twisted Fairy Tales"?

Before I change, I guess I should check first to see if the book is available........

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis Margaret...great idea. I had the same thought, but wasn't sure how to "define" a theme that included this book. (Although, the list of stories in the table of contents could go anywhere.) "Lesser Known Fairy Tale Versions"???

message 8: by Margaret (new)

I think either of those could work! Or German fairy tales, or strong women (the article mentions that the women in the fairy tales are more active), or active princesses...it could work for a lot of themes!

message 9: by Jalilah (new)

Another consideration is how long the collection is. I was actually thinking of suggesting that for future group reads we just read one tale. Then Melanti suggested either one tale, or a collection that is under 150 pages. I noticed whenever the original tales is a long collection there is not as much participation as there is in the novels. I think it can be overwhelming for many. I know for myself as much as I love fairy tales, I prefer not to read an entire collection straight through at once.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
So what I am saying is we could read one or just a few of the tales for a group read. People could perhaps select a theme related to the particular tale they want to read from this collection.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

I don't care either way, but if it makes it any easier, I got my copy out and it's divided into 6 parts: "Tales of Magic and Romance"; "Enchanted Animals"; "Otherworldly Creatures"; "Legends"; "Tall Tales and Anecdotes"; and "Tales about Nature". The section lengths vary from 8 pages to 70 pages. So, if someone wanted to, they could nominate one of the sections as a theme, because certainly lots of these could be themes with multiple books that would fit within them, and then nominate this book to go with the theme and we could read that section.

I'd also be willing to do a buddy read of it.

message 11: by Jalilah (new)

Margaret wrote: "I don't care either way, but if it makes it any easier, I got my copy out and it's divided into 6 parts: "Tales of Magic and Romance"; "Enchanted Animals"; "Otherworldly Creatures"; "Legends"; "Tal..."

Margaret I like your idea : "So, if someone wanted to, they could nominate one of the sections as a theme, because certainly lots of these could be themes with multiple books that would fit within them, and then nominate this book to go with the theme and we could read that section."

message 12: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis I also like your idea. Margaret. I'll go to the nomination thread, and if we don't use it this time, then we'll keep at it. I think this would be a great group read.