What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > YA. Online friendships/penpals

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) | 48 comments I'm looking for books where the main characters bond over letters/emails. Something like Because You'll Never Meet Me.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Aimed at any age group or just children/YA?

message 3: by Marie (new)

Marie (marie123) | 52 comments The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty - School assigned pen pals. It claims to be the second one in the series, and it's the only one that fits your theme, and I read it originally thinking it of it as a stand alone and didn't feel lost.
Girl v. Boy by Yvonne Collins and Sandy Rideout might also meet your craving, they communicate mostly through their anonymous newspaper columns.
Both of these are YA.
Another series you might enjoy is the Boy Series by Meg Cabot. The first book is The Boy Next Door is the first book. The book is written entirely in text based communication -- emails, IMS, newspaper articles. It was written before text messages (makes it a bit dated) but it still stands out as one of my favorite contemporary romances. The characters do interact in person though, and then converse about it later, so I'm not sure if it would work for what you're looking for.... but they're really fun books!

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) | 48 comments I'm looking for YA, without heavy romance, something that focuses on friendship more. And thank you for the recs, will check them out!

message 7: by Steph (new)

Steph (blue01022) | 33 comments Because You'll Never Meet Me reminded me a lot of P.S. Longer Letter Later and its sequel Snail Mail, No More. They're also written in letters/emails, alternating POVs. A younger audience than the book you mentioned, and the characters knew each other before becoming pen pals, but similar structure.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) | 48 comments Thank you! Will check them all out.

message 9: by Lsophia (new)

Lsophia | 153 comments Letters From the Inside by John Marsden has that theme. It is somewhat dark.

message 10: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments The Madison Finn series: Only the Lonely is the first.

message 11: by M. (new)

M. (chellatrix) | 1 comments Tell Me Three Things, by Julie Buxbaum

True Letters from a Fictional Life, by Kenneth Logan. (Technically, the letters are unsent.)

Draw the Line, by Laurent Linn

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) | 48 comments Okay, they do seem interesting. Thank you all.

message 14: by Raiann (new)

Raiann (foxpresident24) | 9 comments I'll Always Write Back. It's a true story about an American girl, Caitlin, and an African boy, Martin, who become friends through the school pen pal program.

message 15: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (conservio) | 97 comments ttyl is written in an MSN messenger and text messages.

message 16: by julianna ➹ (last edited Feb 22, 2017 06:06PM) (new)

julianna ➹ (juliannnnna) | 8 comments I don't really know if you still want suggestions, since this looks a year old, but it's still being updated, but here:

P.S. I Like You
A girl and someone else communicate through writing each other letters; they sit at the same desk.

I personally didn't enjoy this one very much, but it does touch on friendship and family aspects so I thought you might enjoy it.

Punk 57
Boy/girl meet each other through pen pal system.

I'm not sure if this one is YA or not, I just heard of it.
I actually haven't read this one, but I think it's taking place after they meet each other? I'm not sure exactly.

message 17: by Akshara (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 39 comments I'm sorry I don't have any new suggestions, but please do read Juliana's recs. The 2 books are my favourite in this genre!

message 18: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Love from Your Friend, Hannah is one of my favorite books ever.

message 19: by Spockles (new)

Spockles | 199 comments Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia - Girl is the creator of a popular web comic under a pseudo-name. She has two online friends who know her identity and help run her website.

Cara's Craftsations | 1604 comments I haven't read this yet so I'm not sure. Girl Online

Cara's Craftsations | 1604 comments A fake one in Dear Evan Hansen