Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 Weekly checkins > Week 24: 6/10-6/16

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Happy Thursday to my reading peeps! If it's Thursday it must be challenge check-in day. Woo hoo! Unfortunately, I have no progress to report for myself but I'm cutting myself some slack and enjoying the beginning of summer.

I'm still plugging along with the audio book for my "book with a protagonist that has your same job" but fear that may take me years to finish. (Kidding.) I also started my murder mystery but didn't make too much progress before the next Outlander book became available at my library and I was sucked back into 18th century Scotland.

How has your progress been this week? Let's hear all about it!

Question of the week: What is your reading goal for the year?

I do love the Goodreads challenge and use that as a way to monitor my progress throughout the year. I scaled back to 45 books this year from a goal of 60 last year. Since I've already read 35, I'll probably bump it up soon.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Having a check-in on Thursday always helps motivate me to finish what I'm reading so I can report it as complete!

I have finished two books this week:

Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone
The Heir (The Selection, #4) by Kiera Cass

Both are YA and I finished each in about a day or two. Still struggling through a few other books. I'm slowly working my way through The One-in-a-Million Boy by Monica Wood which is good but slow-paced. I am giving up on Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye which I really, really wanted to like. It's in my "maybe later" category. I am nearly done with a reread of Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon . I should finish it either today or tomorrow. There are a few other books I have started, but I haven't made enough progress yet to decide if I will continue.

I did find A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1) by Brittany Cavallaro in my library's ebook section last night. It's an intriguing concept - the two main characters are descended from Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. We will see if it clicks for me.

I started my poetry book: The Language Of Flowers by Sheila Pickles . Poetry is really NOT my thing. I am technically reading this but I don't think any of it is sinking in. My brain just doesn't work that way.

I am heading to the beach in about a week so I'm hopeful I will have lots of time to read!

Question of the week: My reading goal this year is 75 books. I have read 46 so far. Last year I read 91 (with a goal of 75), and while I was tempted to raise my goal this year I decided I just don't want to put that much pressure on myself. I would much rather read far above my goal than set an unrealistic goal for myself. If I hit 90 books this year as well I might change my goal for 2017.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I'm at 21/41.

Finished up Scared Scriptless for my celebrity book. I enjoyed it so I put her other books on my to-be-read shelf.

I was browsing my library e-book selection and filtered it to Poetry. I found One. It followed conjoined twins - a subject that I've never read about before and the format was free verse. I'd give it a 2.5/5. I'm glad to have the poetry category crossed off the list.

Two books in progress:
Science Ficition: A Million Suns. I can't concentrate on the audio version so I switched to the e-book. Its going much better. I couldn't focus on all the character names. I'll finish out this trilogy even though this book didn't grab my attention that well. I wish the two main characters would just communicate with each other instead of keeping secret after secret! But then we wouldn't have the drama of the book.

I'm also reading I'll Give You the Sun. I'm not sure I can fit this one in to the challenge anywhere so it'll just count towards my reading goals...which brings me to the question of the week..

I have it set for 95 books because I wanted to finish this reading challenge and the around the year reading challenge. Goodreads tells me that I'm 6 books behind schedule. Finishing up the Popsugar challenge is my first priority then I'll see what I feel like doing with the around the year. Maybe I'll find some short books on my TBR and I'll be able to complete both. We'll see - there's still half a year left and I'm enjoying what I'm reading so far so I'm not going to get stressed about it.

message 4: by Sara (last edited Jun 16, 2016 10:37AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Megan wrote: "I was browsing my library e-book selection and filtered it to Poetry. I found One. It followed conjoined twins - a subject that I've never read about before and the format was free verse. I'd give it a 2.5/5. I'm glad to have the poetry category crossed off the list."

I was just looking at that book last night for my poetry prompt. I also tried reading Blue Birds thinking free verse might be a more tolerable format. Still not a huge fan. I feel like I'm just reading words but missing what's going on.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen Ifer's Inklings (only4lightn) | 8 comments I have finally finished Scarlet. I started it in January. I am also just about to finish (at 96%) Takedown Twenty. I think I am going to use it for a book guaranteed to bring me joy. Since it is my audiobook, I'm currently searching my library for my next one.

Officially for the challenge I'm at 17/41. In about an hour, I'll hit 18/41.

My goodreads challenge this year is 100 books. I've never hit that, but I've read 80-85 in prior years. I figured with my new job (at a middle school) I get tons of time off and could read more. Currently I'm at 39/100.

message 6: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 67 comments Finished a graphic novel, used to fill a book recommended by a stranger, called Relish. It was absolutely fantastic, a food lovers dream. This coming from someone who dislikes graphic novels.

My reading goal for the year is 50 books. 5 more than I succeeded in finishing last year.

message 7: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) I've only got one book to report this week, Modern Romance for A book written by a celebrity. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would after reading some eh reviews. I didn't care too much for the online dating chapter as I'm in a long term relationship and never had an online profile. My online dating experience goes as far as swiping for my friends on Tinder. Four stars :)

I set myself up for 40 books this year. I'm at 10 so far. I aimed a little low as some of the books I've been reading have been re-reads.

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments I finally finishedChallenger Deep for my National Book Award winner. It took me a long time to get into this one but once I figured out what was going on, I couldn't put it down. It's a great insight into schizophrenia.

My reading goal is officially 41 for the challenge but I'm hoping to reach at least 45 to fit in some extra titles I can't wait for. I'm at 21/41.

message 9: by Nadine (last edited Jun 17, 2016 04:23AM) (new)

Nadine Jones | 5478 comments Mod
I had to travel this week, so I got a lot of reading done (most of it yesterday), but none of it was for this Challenge, so I'm still holding steady at 37/41.

This week I finished:
Between the World and Me, which was kind of disappointing, it has so many really strong reviews, but this book just didn't speak to me.
A Brief History of Time, which was really disappointing! Again, this has SO many great reviews, I was expecting to be blown away, but it was really dry. As a textbook, it was kickass, but as a casual read-on-the-plane book, it didn't hold my interest very well. I highlighted a lot of passages, but I'm not sure if I learned anything.
Lucifer, Book One, which I read because I LOVED season one of the TV show, "Lucifer." To my disappointment, this was NOTHING like the show! But it was a really good comic (probably only appeals to hard-core graphic novel fans) so I gave it 4 stars, and I kind of can't believe I took so long to get around to reading it, especially since I read all of the Sandman books back in the day, and this Lucifer was a character that originally appeared in that series. Mervyn Pumpkinhead & Lucien the librarian have cameos in book one of Lucifer!

I am currently reading Mike Carey's new book, Fellside, and it is fantastic, much better than I expected (isn't it nice when that happens?!), and a debut YA novel from last year, Made You Up, which is also much better than I expected, and I'm listening to book 2 of the Mistborn series, The Well of Ascension, which is really really really long. Hopefully I can renew the audiobook, because I'm not going to finish it before it's due!!!

My reading goal this year is to read more diversely. Yeah, I set a number with GR, but I kept the bar low, because I learned from experience that trying to reach a number by the end of the year just stresses me out, but trying to find a book is energizing. My specific goals:
* read more women sci-fi authors (I haven't done very well with this one yet this year, I've been too busy reading challenge books)
* read more authors of color (I set myself a specific goal of 25% of my total books - right now I'm at 15% so I need to up my game a bit)
* read at least two authors from each inhabited continent; I'm doing just fine with all continents EXCEPT South America - for some reason there just aren't many authors from South America who interest me! I've identified two potentials and put them on my list, but I confess I'm not that enthusiastic. Yes, Isabel Allende is one of them, but I've already read a lot of her books so I'm having a hard time finding one to read by her. Laura Restrepo is my second. Clarice Lispector is a back-up choice.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Nadine wrote: " read at least two authors from each inhabited continent ..."

That's really interesting. I hadn't really thought about approaching my reading choices that way. I may have to look into it some :)

message 11: by Nadine (new)

Sara wrote: "Nadine wrote: " read at least two authors from each inhabited continent ..."

That's really interesting. I hadn't really thought about approaching my reading choices that way. I may have to look in..."

It can add a new dimension to your reading! For me, I found I read authors from all continents *except* SA ... (I read authors from Mexico and the Caribbean islands, but that's all part of NORTH America, and thus does not help me!)

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I did read a book by an author from Africa this year about her life in Darfur (though she lives in the UK now), but I'm not sure I've read anything from South America either. I started Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende many years ago and had trouble getting into it. I suspect it would appeal to me more now.

All the other continents would be covered by my typical reading choices.

message 13: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Nadine wrote: "My reading goal this year is to read more diversely."

I love this idea of a reading goal. And I agree the number becomes a taunt at some point. I did find it pretty fulfilling when I picked 5 American classics to read as my New Year's resolution years back. My first ever reading challenge.

Great idea!

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments I finished our June Group Read, The Girl on the Train for Book Becoming a Movie This Year. I liked it, but it wasn't quite the page-turner I expected.

I got a major hurdle out of the way by finishing my Book of Poetry prompt with Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty. I was dreading this prompt, but found this book quick and painless. I forget who suggested it, but Thank You!!

I went into B&N this week and picked out my First Book You See in a Bookstore. The cover for The Widow just stuck out on the table of new releases. Says it's along the same vein as Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, so I'm looking forward to it.

27/41

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 86 comments I'm officially half way through!!! 20/41!!

I finished Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children for my book being made into a movie this year. I really really enjoyed this and can't wait to keep reading the series.

I also finished The Bluest Eye for my Oprah's book club book. It was beautifully written and a told a good story, but it was just not my cup of tea.

My reading goal is 50 books this year. My high currently is 40, so I'm definitely stretching that but I'm on track so far with the few books I've read outside of this challenge.

Thegirlintheafternoon Nothing new for this challenge this week! I've been traveling almost nonstop for the past...3-ish weeks, so I've gotten very little reading done. I did finish The Argonauts, but that's for a different challenge. I think I'll try Nora Ephron's Heartburn next, for "a book written by a celebrity."

QOTW: I'm aiming for 130 books this year after getting to 151 last year. IThat 130 will include Popsugar, Read Harder, Modern Mrs. Darcy, and Around the Year (plus a few freebies). I was right on track, but I've just picked up a second job, so I seriously doubt I'll make it now!

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Mike wrote: "I got a major hurdle out of the way by finishing my Book of Poetry prompt with Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty. I was dreading this prompt, but found this book quick and painless. I forget who suggested it, but Thank You!!"

I just requested a copy of this from my library. Looks interesting...maybe reading poetry won't be as painful as I expected!

message 18: by Christophe (last edited Jun 18, 2016 06:14AM) (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments On book read this week:

✅✅27. A murder mystery (2): Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men , Picador, 2005.

More of a thriller than a mystery proper - plenty of murders, though. Still, one of my favorite Cormac McCarthy books (right after Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West, and pretty much on the same level as All The Pretty Horses. Great read. And having seen the Cohen brothers movie before wasn't a problem at all for me. That put me at 44/82.

QOTW: my goodreads target is at 90; planning to read 82 books for the challenge anyway!

message 19: by AF (new)

AF | 319 comments I am 28/41 as of last night.

I finished Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It was pretty okay. I get the allure but I won't be finishing the series. I read this for my book with more than 600 pages.

I will start Rogue Lawyer then Partners: A Rogue Lawyer Short Story, both by John Grisham for my book and its prequel. Both are on my Kindle and ready to go.

QotW: This is the first time setting a number of books for a reading goal. I set it at 41 for this reading challenge. I hope to finish it by early fall. I've read several firsts in a series that I now want to continue, but I won't until I'm done with this challenge. For reading goals I usually decide to read all by a certain author.

message 20: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments I finished The Girl on the Train and will use it for the murder/mystery prompt since I had another one for the movie one. I didn't like it that much. It was ok, but not my cup of tea.

I am reading now American Gods for the road trip. It's a fun one but I can't read it for long period of time.

Nadine, I visited a blog not long ago about someone who is readin a book for every country. Maybe it can help you: https://ayearofreadingtheworld.com/th...

I want to read 45 books this year. A typical year for me.

message 21: by Nadine (new)

Fannie wrote: "Nadine, I visited a blog not long ago about someone who is readin a book for every country...."

Thanks, that's a good list. I see a few of the authors I've been considering, but I can also see the blogger and I don't always make the same choices, I tend to read more women authors. And I don't quite know what to make of the choice for USA: Neil Gaiman's American Gods! Definitely a great book, but ... he's not American, he's British! And as a Brit, she must know that! But I think he lives in the US now, so I guess that's why she chose him.

message 22: by Cthulhu (new)

Cthulhu Youth | 1 comments I finished Lovecraft Country for the "book about a road trip" prompt.

My goal for the year is 49 books, to beat last year - I managed to read heaps of books (by my standards) because I had a lot of spare time, and I want to make reading a priority again this year. I am ahead on that, and a bit ahead on this reading challenge as well so it's good :)

message 23: by Catharina (last edited Jun 19, 2016 04:04AM) (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments I'm still in a reading slump, which I can't seem to get out of.
Currently reading two books:

- A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets. Which I'm halfway through and really enjoying. This is for my autobiography prompt (maybe a bit loosely interpreted).

- Älskade terrorist - 16 år med militanta islamister. Loosley translated to "Beloved Terrorist - 16 years with militant Islamist". Which is the true story of Anna Sundberg, her conversion to Islam and her joining the international jihadist movement. (My translation, might be a bit off.) It's an unerving read, and I find that I need to take breaks very often. This is for my "A book about a culture you're unfamiliar with"-prompt.

I'm at 29/41 for this challenge.

Question of the week: My reading goal this year is 65, same as last year I think.
39/65 for my overall reading goal.

message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Isn't this week 24, not week 25?
Anyway, for the week of June 10-16 I finished Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History for my book hunter challenge. I was traveling from Texas to South Dakota as I finished the book. It made the book come to life for me!

message 25: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Patricia wrote: "Isn't this week 24, not week 25?"

Good catch! Hah!

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments Completely forgot to update. I read two this week:

A Monster Calls - A book being turned into a movie this year
You - A book from the library

My goal for the year is to finish both this challenge and the GoodReads Around the Year challenge. I actually gave myself 15 months to complete PopSugar originally since I'd committed to ATY first, and thought it might be tough to finish both. I'm actually now at least halfway done both, so I've also decided to take on BookRiot's 2016 challenge and possibly the 2015 challenge as well, although I'm giving myself 1 year from the day I start (July 1) to complete both.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.