Young Beginner Writers (closed) discussion

New Here! > Announcements!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily   For the months of June - August as a group we will be reading:
Writer to Writer: From Think to Ink
Writer to Writer From Think to Ink by Gail Carson Levine

Please participate if you can :) I think this book will be very helpful in improving our writing :)

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily   Please look into the- Stories- folder, we would love to read some of your work and it might be helpful to get a second opinion on your stories.

message 3: by Coralie (new)

Coralie (corkybookworm) | 386 comments Mod
Is there a recommended place to buy this book? Levine is one of my all time favorite writers and I've always wanted to read her book Writing Stories that Fly. Would Amazon work for this or would it be better to get it from somewhere else?

message 4: by lorien (new)

lorien | 2222 comments Mod
Coralie wrote: "Is there a recommended place to buy this book? Levine is one of my all time favorite writers and I've always wanted to read her book Writing Stories that Fly. Would Amazon work for this or would it..."

Amazon is an option so is Barnes and Noble. But if you want it cheaper I would say Amazon.

message 5: by Coralie (new)

Lorien wrote: "Coralie wrote: "Is there a recommended place to buy this book? Levine is one of my all time favorite writers and I've always wanted to read her book Writing Stories that Fly. Would Amazon work for ..."

Thanks!

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily   ANNOUNCEMENT!

If you are participating in the group read, here is the reading goal!
Reading Goal: Read at least 35 pages a week :) this should pace you to finish with-in the June- August time frame. Depending on when you start reading you might have some catching up to do.
we hope you enjoy this book and don't forget to give us feed back in the "Group read" topic :)

message 7: by lorien (new)

Emily wrote: "ANNOUNCEMENT!

If you are participating in the group read, here is the reading goal!
Reading Goal: Read at least 35 pages a week :) this should pace you to finish with-in the June- August time fram..."

This sounds great! Thanks! :)

message 8: by lorien (new)

Hello everyone. Fourth of July is today and.......I think you should check out a video. Go to YouTube and type in Mark Dice fourth of july. I found this video to be......well you'll find out. Enjoy! ; )

message 9: by lorien (new)

Just to let some of you know I edited some of my previous chapters from A Summer's Place and I should be getting back on track with writing more chapters. Feel free to comment what you like and disliked.

message 10: by R.E. (new)

R.E. Banks | 158 comments Oh, yes, I read it and I thought it was significantly more polished.

message 11: by lorien (new)

R. E. Banks wrote: "Oh, yes, I read it and I thought it was significantly more polished."

Yay! Did you think anything else from it? By the way I drew something else last night and I wanted to know what you thought of it.

message 12: by R.E. (new)

R.E. Banks | 158 comments I thought that it was good because it was a lot tighter, and more professional, and her mind doesn't just wander. And I like how you increased her alarm from four to five-thirty.
Okay I'll check it out!

message 13: by lorien (new)

Okay so maybe this isn't an announcement but need some help with copy and pasting. I'm on a mobile and I need help please! : (

message 14: by lorien (new)

I typed in a more writing prompts for character building and you can use the other prompts for the contest. Enjoy! :)

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily   PLEASE check out the writing prompt contest and To-read challenge :)

message 16: by lorien (new)

I created a new game if anyone's interested.
Oh yeah, also, I'm sorry if I'm not online as much as I should be. My grandparents are coming over so probably be busy throughout the whole month. But I'll do my best to check on the group and such.

message 17: by lorien (new)

Hi, everyone! I posted a video on this group and I thought that maybe you guys could use a breath of fresh air. You will have to go on YouTube to watch it for whatever reason but I hope you enjoy!

message 18: by lorien (new)

Okey dokey folks. I posted another video if you're interested.

message 19: by lorien (new)

This might not be considered an announcement but I wanted to let you guys know that I'll be back on at 12, 1, or 5. Emily, there were a few things I wanted to talk to you about on the Chatting thread.
Thank you.

message 20: by Coralie (new)

Hey, all! Don't forget to stop by the stories folder and read some of the group members and moderators stories! If you've already done so, see if there's anything new! And don't forget to leave feedback!! Feedback is how we grow as writers and this is a community where we want to encourage and challenge each other to grow!!!

message 21: by Coralie (new)

Having problems with a stubborn character? Ask for help, input, or respond to some of the character building prompts and exercises (found in the Character Building thread) in the new Character Building Response thread under the Writing Prompts discussion!

message 22: by Coralie (new)

Happy Saturday, guys!! I just wanted to let everyone know that I've started a new discussion thread in the Writing folder. It's called Writing Resources. Each week find new advice for writers from professional, published authors! Stop by to see what's been said, let me know what topics you want to explore, and just get some good old-fashioned encouragement! I hope to see you guys there!

message 23: by lorien (new)

Hi, everyone! We've noticed that this group has been a bit . . . lacking in activity so we were thinking of holding another competition. The start and end date has not been confirmed yet but if anything changes, a moderator will let you guys know!
All entrees should be either a chapter from a story you're currently working on or anything you would like to put in the competition. Remember : the word count will be 1000 words minimum and 6000 words maximum.
As soon as the moderators all agree on a starting and end date, we'll let you know! Thank you! :D

message 24: by lorien (new)

Only a few more hours till we find out who will be our winner for the Writing Prompt Competition!!!!! Who will win?

message 25: by lorien (new)

Hello, and good morning everyone! Your fellow moderators have come to a decision about the writing contest. We will be holding a December themed writing contest starting today and the end date will be Dec. 3rd. If you need help as for getting started with the Comeptition head on over to the Writing for Fun! topic. Here's the link to that:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

We will also be holding another writing contest in January. For this contest you can write either a chapter from a story you are currently working on or anything you would like to enter in the competition. Remember : for most of our writing contest, we would greatly appreciate it if you could keep it short. Thank you!
If anyone has questions, please let a moderator know. Have a great day! :D

message 26: by lorien (new)

Sorry folks! I checked my calendar and December 3rd is really coming up soon. The end date will be Dec. 20th. That should give you enough time to write a story, right?
Hope you all have a wonderful month and Christmas is almost here!!!!! :D

message 27: by lorien (new)

Hi everyone! As you all should know the deadline for the Dec. is rapidly coming up so I just wanted to let you know that and, this group is still feeling like a ghost town. I'd really appreciate it if you could be a bit more active. Maybe it's something the moderators need to work on but I'd love it if you can be more active in this group. Thank you. Oh and Merry Christmas! :D

message 28: by Coralie (new)

Yeah!! I know finals and exams are here, but we'll be waiting for whenever you guys get a chance to breathe! We miss you!!!

message 29: by lorien (new)

Same here! :D

message 30: by Coralie (new)

HEY, ALL! So!! Super important announcement:
We have decided to extend the deadline for the Christmas short story competition! Stories are now due in by Christmas Eve, the 24th! Happy writing and Merry Christmas! I'm looking forward to reading several wonderful and fluffy entries!