Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Lilac Girls

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9390 comments Definitely enraptured me. But I found it sad and haunting. Honestly, I'm glad I read it, but it was a tough read.

Now beginning either The Lions of Al-Rassan, or Her Majesty's Dragon. Outlander they want back at the Library. I have entered like 50 giveaways. I want to see something arrive at my doorstep. That would be super fun!

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Hmmm, I just put this on hold at the library but not sure how I feel about a tough read right now. It sounded very much in the vein of The Nightingale and All the Light. Is that a fair comparison? Was it tough because it dealt with WWII and concentration camps -- which is always a tough but important subject -- or was there something in addition to that?

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9390 comments Nicole - this is an excellent question. As this is the June read for the historical fictionistas, I actually wrote a bit more about it there in their spoiler thread. I don't think it was in the caliber of the other two books you mentioned, and it's actually got a strong focus in the concentration camp experience of the Rabbits (polish women) who were mercelessly and unnecessarily and cruelly operated on, so it's tough. I wish it had been more of an uplifting end. Not that those things can be wound up so easily, but I would be aware of what you're getting into before you choose it. Excellent writing and the story moved. Sorry for the spoilers for anyone else. Curious to see what the other fictionistas think... Best, Amy

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Thank you for the further thoughts. I think I will leave it on the library list (I am really far down the list) but perhaps make a game time decision when it comes in.

I also had the audio on hold to see if it would come in first but I definitely do not think that I want to listen about cruel operations. At least in print I can skim some of it.