What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Fishing Up the Moon
This topic is about Fishing Up the Moon
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult Canadian contemporary novel. Unhappy woman goes to Newfoundland (or Nova Scotia) and finds herself. [s]

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Keith | 223 comments I read this years ago at the recommendation of the publisher, who ran a creative writing course I took, and now I can't remember the title or the author.

It was about a woman living in present-day (well, late 90s, I suppose) Toronto with an extremely dull life who impulsively decides to go on holiday to Newfoundland instead of on a tropical package tour with her colleagues; she meets all sorts of quirky people, opens up, learns to live, yadda yadda. I wanted to recommend it to someone and realized I couldn't identify it. Thanks in advance for any help!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39280 comments Mod
Who was the publisher? What year did you take the course, and was the book new at that time? Was the author male or female? Remember the cover?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

If it was a Harlequin and the woman is spending the holiday in order to write her novel, there's this.

Happy Ending

Keith | 223 comments I read it in (I think) summer 2001. It was a small independent publisher which I can't remember the name of.

message 5: by Kris (last edited Jun 17, 2016 05:56PM) (new)

Kris | 35119 comments Mod
This book looks too recent and is a long shot, but I'll mention it just in case - She Came From Away by D. Edward Bradley?

Keith, can you tell us more about the heroine - her job, age, personality, family/friends, etc.?

What's the tone - funny, romantic, reflective, etc.?

Keith | 223 comments Hi Kris - the heroine works some boring office job, lives alone with a cat, and spends a lot of time sitting in her closet. She goes on tropical getaways with her colleagues that are humorously described as identical and generic. She goes to Newfoundland or Nova Scotia on impulse, and she's consistently described as resisting the impulse to just go home or check into a Holiday Inn and sit by the pool.

The tone is definitely "quirky indie comedy" - she meets all sorts of odd but ultimately benign people, and everything ends happily when she and some of her new friends find buried treasure. My favourite part was when a restaurateur she befriends reveals that she used to hide in her closet too.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Keith, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

Keith | 223 comments No, I never found it.

message 9: by Kris (last edited Apr 11, 2019 09:37AM) (new)

Keith, I added "(or Nova Scotia)" to the topic header. Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after your header - on the full desktop website, not the mobile version or mobile app.

Is this cozy mystery?

Is there romance? If so, can you describe her romantic interest?

Is she in her twenties, middle-aged, etc.?

Keith | 223 comments I guess it could be described as cozy mystery (I'm not sure the term was in common use when I read it), but it's not a murder mystery. The main character doesn't find romance, though the relationship between two secondary characters is significant to the plot. I think the protagonist is in her 20s or 30s.

Keith | 223 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Let's Fall in Love 'Til Wednesday?"

No, it's not that one - the protagonist is younger and travels to Newfoundland on her own.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Keith ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 210 from seven months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

message 14: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments Still looking, Keith?

Keith | 223 comments Yes, still haven't found it.

message 16: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments Does anything on these lists look familiar?

Nova Scotia

Newfoundland & Labrador

Keith | 223 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Does anything on these lists look familiar?

Nova Scotia

Newfoundland & Labrador"

I went through both lists, but I didn't find anything that sounded like it. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

message 18: by Kris (last edited May 09, 2022 07:16AM) (new)

Keith, Fishing Up the Moon by Anne Hines sounds like your book. One Goodreads reviewer says: "...the (inner) outspoken Dorie, a professional woman living in downtown Toronto, working in an office with hordes of similar professional women, spending time at work planning for time away, slipping out of uncomfortable professional shoes for uncomfortable casual shoes and only having the ability to find silence in the closet- literally. Dorie's life is changed when she impulsively buys a ticket to Cape Breton Island, romanced by the words like "cove" and "pirate."

Google search of Goodreads:
site:goodreads.com "in her closet" "toronto"

Keith | 223 comments Kris wrote: "Keith, Fishing Up the Moon by Anne Hines sounds like your book. One Goodreads reviewer says: "...the (inner) outspoken Dorie, a professional woman living in downtown..."

Yes, this is it, at long last! Thank you very much!

message 20: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments Yay, glad it's solved!

message 21: by Kris (new)

You're most welcome. Interesting how a simple but specific phrase like "in her closet" can crack the case.