Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1)
This topic is about Sorcerer to the Crown
Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho ; Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy BOM ; Start Date July 22, 2016

Comments (showing 1-50 of 108) (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments

This topic is to discuss Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho. Be prepared for spoilers!!

Synopsis:

Magic and mayhem collide with the British elite in this whimsical and sparkling debut.

At his wit’s end, Zacharias Wythe, freed slave, eminently proficient magician, and Sorcerer Royal of the Unnatural Philosophers—one of the most respected organizations throughout all of Britain—ventures to the border of Fairyland to discover why England’s magical stocks are drying up.

But when his adventure brings him in contact with a most unusual comrade, a woman with immense power and an unfathomable gift, he sets on a path which will alter the nature of sorcery in all of Britain—and the world at large…

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Jun 15, 2016 10:42PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Jul 31, 2016 02:45AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

22 July Prologue-5 1-66 Logan
23 July 6-11 67-136 Karrie
24 July 12-15 137-188 Imke
***BREAK DAY***
26 July 16-19 189-254 Talia
27 July 20-23 255-315 Melissa
28 July 24-end 316-371 Greta

DQ volunteers:

Karrie
*Talia
Imke (24th)
Logan - Day 1,2 or 3
*Melissa - last days
*Greta

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Jun 15, 2016 10:43PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Whoo Hoo! Sign me up for questions!

Beth | 414 comments I have just reserved the book. I'm pretty sure I can make time for it. I haven't participated in the monthly reads for a while but this one is intriguing.

I'm not sure if I could come up with discussion questions though, as I haven't read the book before.

message 7: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (A1ison74) | 2261 comments I'm so tempted but really don't have time. If I can get it from the library I'm in for the discussion only

message 8: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan  (loganturner) | 1417 comments This sounds so interesting. I'm in.

message 9: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 2 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments Logan wrote: "This sounds so interesting. I'm in."

And DQs? (pretty please) :)

Talia Colley (MissTalia) | 688 comments I just got the book, so I can take a set of DQs!

message 11: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments Thanks Talia!

message 12: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1410 comments I can take a set of DQ's. If possible the 24th please.

message 13: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 2878 comments I checked this book out from my library last Thursday and am really looking forward to reading it. :-)

Sadly, though, I don't feel able to volunteer to write DQs as my reading life is pretty scattered and distracted. Though I could probably handle day one, if it is available. ???

Melissa | 1884 comments I'm in - I'll do DQs too. :)

If possible could you put me for one of the days after the break? I can do multiple if you need me to.

message 15: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan  (loganturner) | 1417 comments Sure, put me down for some DQs. :)

message 16: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan  (loganturner) | 1417 comments But I'll be out of town after the break, so one of the first half days please!

message 17: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments Jen wrote: "I checked this book out from my library last Thursday and am really looking forward to reading it. :-)

Sadly, though, I don't feel able to volunteer to write DQs as my reading life is pretty scatt..."

No problems Jen, we have enough volunteers so you can just sit back and (hopefully) enjoy the read!

message 18: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments DQ volunteers have been updated to the schedule here

Please yell out if your day doesn't work for you!

message 19: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 2878 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "No problems Jen, we have enough volunteers so you can just sit back and (hopefully) enjoy the read! "

Hooray! Thank you! It's taking me longer than I expected to get through my current read, so I'm relieved. :-)

I should still be able to at least start it on Day One, though! I just need to finish the last 150 or so pages of my current book later today. ;-)

message 20: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan  (loganturner) | 1417 comments Looks good! I'll get started tonight. :)

Melissa | 1884 comments Works for me! I just downloaded it on my Nook :)

Greta | 1457 comments Looks good! I have it from the library already. Thanks!

message 23: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments Our Mod brains went all wobbly with Wobble and we missed the fact that one of the books nominated for August Fantasy BOM was a prior BOM. So we have deleted it and re-opened the poll for voting.

Open for 24 hours. Please vote here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Thanks!

message 24: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan  (loganturner) | 1417 comments Discussion Questions
Prologue - Chapter 5

1. What do you think of the writing style? Does it help define the setting? Do you find it cumbersome?

2. I was not expecting the reveal of Sir Stephen's ghost! What do you think happened the night he died? Is he Zacharias' familiar?

3. Did Zacharias make the right choice in refusing to help the sultan? What are your impressions of Mak Genggang?

4. Racism and sexism will likely play a major role in the book's theme. Do you find it difficult to experience the ways Zacharias and the witches are treated?

5. What do you make of the declining magical resources in England? Why do the witches seem to have an abundance?

message 25: by Lara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lara | 676 comments iscussion Questions
Prologue - Chapter 5

1. What do you think of the writing style? Does it help define the setting? Do you find it cumbersome? I enjoy the more period style of books, especially when they stay true to the times (other than the magic)

2. I was not expecting the reveal of Sir Stephen's ghost! What do you think happened the night he died? Is he Zacharias' familiar? That is one big mystery to me. Clearly something bad happened. He is definitely not Zacharias's familiar, and what happened with Sir Stephen's familiar is part of the mystery as well.

3. Did Zacharias make the right choice in refusing to help the sultan? What are your impressions of Mak Genggang? Well, he is in a position where he must uphold certain relationships between institutions. And, once the truth came out, then I think he was really off the hook. As for Mak Genggang, I thought she was impressive but rather stereotypical

4. Racism and sexism will likely play a major role in the book's theme. Do you find it difficult to experience the ways Zacharias and the witches are treated? I'd say both are already playing a role. I think the author has done a good job of describing the experience of people who are in 'token' positions of acceptance. Though, the stupidity of the men at the club seems to be a bit over the top

5. What do you make of the declining magical resources in England? Why do the witches seem to have an abundance? Stupidity and wastefulness? If all they can do is sit around wining about not having lots of power, but then only use is for ridiculous dares and games, then I don't feel sorry for them. Then there is the fact that women do have power, but aren't allowed to use it. I'm sure that's not helping things either

message 26: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan  (loganturner) | 1417 comments I had that same thought about the men wasting their magic. Seems like a pointed barb at how those in power often use their entitlement to waste resources of all kinds.

message 27: by Beth (last edited Jul 22, 2016 11:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth | 414 comments I really like the book so far. I will skip some of today's questions.

1. What do you think of the writing style? Does it help define the setting? Do you find it cumbersome?

I’m enjoying the writing style, which isn’t really surprising since I really like Susanna Clarke. (Both of them are clearly inspired by 19th-century English novels. From what I’ve read of those I really prefer Dickens to Austen — but I like this book enough that I’m wondering if I should give Pride and Prejudice another try sometime.)

4. Racism and sexism will likely play a major role in the book's theme. Do you find it difficult to experience the ways Zacharias and the witches are treated?

Even though the social attitudes described in the book are appalling, I think Cho’s sense of humor makes it enjoyable to read about. I’m really interested to see where the book’s going with these themes.

message 28: by Lara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lara | 676 comments Beth, I agree that the tone of the writing makes offensive behavior less upsetting in this book. Those who are arrogant, sexist, etc., are shown as such, so come off as less threatening somehow.

message 29: by Taylor (last edited Jul 22, 2016 11:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Taylor | 69 comments Discussion Questions
Prologue - Chapter 5

I'm enjoying all the new words I'm learning and having to look up! But I think I'd prefer it more if Cho had stuck with applying the archaic language to the dialogue, and not extended it to the narration, too. I'm getting more used to it as I get further in, but I do find it a little contrived and over-the-top.

2. I was not expecting the reveal of Sir Stephen's ghost! What do you think happened the night he died? Is he Zacharias' familiar?

Oh, I hadn't thought of that possibility! I'm really not sure, but Henrietta Stapleton mentions the possibility that Leofric may have returned to Fairy, so I'm sure we'll solve some of the mystery once Zacharias goes to Fobdown Perlieu! Maybe Leofric betrayed Sir Stephen?

3. Did Zacharias make the right choice in refusing to help the sultan? What are your impressions of Mak Genggang?

Definitely! I think that any leader needs to maintain his position when it comes to doing what is the greatest good, and preventing the war from escalating severely is, to me, clearly the greatest good. I don't think Zacharias would be very likable as a character if he succumbed to threats so easily.

I'm really not sure what to make of Mak Genggang. Zacharias mentions that she is very powerful to have communicated through his crystal ball so easily from such a great distance, but she seems a bit silly so far! I think that the witches of Janda Baik might be leading a political resistance against the oppression female magic-users are experiencing, and that the English government knows of this and will benefit from helping to squelch it for whatever reason.

I've never felt oppressed as a woman, only objectified, and definitely not on the society-wide scale that the witches in Sorcerer to the Crown experience. I'm a quarter black, and my family members, on the other hand, have experienced a great deal of oppression due to the pigment of their skin. Several of them were advised not to attempt to get into college or pursue their interests because of it (and all proved those "helpful" people wrong by becoming very successful in their chosen fields), so I can definitely see things from Prunella's point of view, and as others have said, Cho does a really excellent job of describing the consequences of such deeply-ingrained racism and sexism. The level to which Zacharias has learned to just ignore and accept it makes me sad. :( Hopefully some of that prejudice will be overcome by the end of the book!

5. What do you make of the declining magical resources in England? Why do the witches seem to have an abundance?

I'm not really sure what to make of it! Since England's magic originates in Fairy, and Zacharias mentions that fairies love to involve themselves in magical disputes, I'm wondering if the fairies have something to do with it. Perhaps they see that it isn't being directed towards the right purposes and that magical men and women are at odds with one another over it, and are deciding how it is distributed. It's also interesting that, as far as Zacharias knows, France isn't suffering from the same difficulty, so it may only be England that is experiencing the shortage of magic -- maybe because of something the English government is secretly up to? I'm curious to find out.

message 30: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 2878 comments Discussion Questions
Prologue - Chapter 5

I haven't really read enough to tell how I like it. But the style in which the story is being told does seem to suit the story. And no, I do not find it cumbersome.

I too was surprised when Sir Stephen appeared as a ghost. I have no idea what happened the night he died, but I suspect his death was not simply a case of his heart giving out.
I do not think that Sir Stephen is Zacharias' familiar. I think that whatever is causing the decline in English magic is responsible for Zacharias' lack of familiar.

Yes, I think his decision to not help was the right one. I think there was more to the story than just that the witches were evil. And Mak Genggang's appearance - and what she said - just made me think that the Sultan was not telling the whole truth even more.

No, I don't find it difficult, but I hate that such discrimination exists in this story.

I haven't the foggiest idea but I'm excited to read more to hopefully find out!

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 2 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments Discussion Questions
Prologue - Chapter 5

I think Taylor is on the money here. I Would much rather she held back a little on the language in the narration.
I love Susanna Clarke, and I struggled with the start of this as I felt it was going a bit close to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. The whole idea of magic being lost from England, the time period, fairy... But as the chapters continued I started to see less comparisons and so I was able to enjoy it a bit more. I'm not totally invested, but intrigued enough to keep going

Oh I hadn't thought of him being his familiar! I guess that could make sense seeing he is the first to not have one.
I liked the unexpected nature of this exchange with Sir Stephen's ghost. It was short enough to keep suspense going as to how this will fit within the story :)

Yes I think he had to refuse. Mak Genggang is interesting - I'm looking forward to learning more. Clearly not all is as it seems

It is difficult. I'm finding the racism more so, although I'm not sure why. I guess because books of this period always contain sexism, but I don't think I've come across one that is trying to explore both so overtly before.

I'm guessing the witches are just "natural" because they have had no teaching and so they just use magic like a natural extension of themselves. Whereas the men are using magic in a very prescriptive way? I'm not sure

message 32: by Kay Kay (last edited Jul 23, 2016 07:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Oh dear! I just got back into town and the internet! Sorry I did not know I was up for questions. I can post tomorrow morning unless someone wants to trade. (I'm on chapter 5)

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 2 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments No problems with me. I'm still in chapter 6 ;)

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Great! I will post Asap!

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Maybe I will find an X character for Wheel a thon!

message 36: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 2 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments Karrie wrote: "Maybe I will find an X character for Wheel a thon!"

haha
I'm not even playing, but I have noticed how many "good" letters are in this book. It is like the author has done reading challenges before ;)

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cao | 2 comments Discussion Questions
Prologue - Chapter 5

I really enjoy the writing style! I believe it's appropriate and perfect for the time period the book is set in. I've definitely had to refer to the dictionary several times, but it was fine.

I was so surprised TOO when I read about the ghost. I had to reread it to make sure I didn't misread the fact that he died. I don't have any huge guesses on what happened to him but it must be pretty sinister/dramatic if Zacharias isn't allowed to tell Sir Stephen's wife...I doubt Sir Stephen is Zacharias' familiar.

Yes, I believe Zacharias made a good decision by trusting his instinct. And I found Mak Genggang interesting...don't know what to make of her yet.

Yeah, I find it heartbreaking how much Zacharias (and even Prunella) have to restrain themselves from speaking out and taking in all those snubs (& gracefully as well). I think Cho does a fantastic job describing themes of racism and its tension and I'm interested in seeing how she'll weave those themes in the journey for this story. I was actually surprised when I read the parts including blatant sexism though. I was aware it would be applicable especially for that time period, but it still disturbed me in an unexplainable way...

Not exactly sure...but (some of) the men definitely use it wastefully for pranks and egotistical reasons. Some of the women obviously have skills to dwell in magic but since it's not really socially acceptable to be well trained, maybe they just have a lot of unused magic? But not exactly sure...still trying to figure out how magic exactly works in this story. I'm also speculating whether or not geography plays into the magic inventory b/c while England is declining, France is not.

message 38: by Kay Kay (last edited Jul 24, 2016 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Chapters 6 - 11

6. What did you think of Prunella's decision to join the Sorcerer Royal? Was she a little bold? Will that make her a great adventurer or will she be a burden?

7. The fire scene was kind of scary, but overall I find the book to be rather slow. Are you enjoying it? Does it feel slow to you?

8. In chapter 10 Sir Stephen says, "One's anxiety rises in proportion to one's incapacity to do anything about it." I find that my anxiety rises when I don't have enough information about something. If I can't do anything about it, I can resolve myself to that and move on. I'm more anxious if I think I am supposed to do something but don't know how. How about you?

9. What do you think is inside Prunella's eggs?

10. What did you think about Prunella's treatment at the inn? There are lots of biases and prejudices in this book. I hope they are there for the author to use for growth and change in the culture and the characters, otherwise I am going to be very annoyed!

Kay Kay | 1790 comments 1. What do you think of the writing style? Does it help define the setting? Do you find it cumbersome?
I am not enjoying the writing style at all. I think the word choices are awkward and restrict the flow of the story. I wonder if the story has been translated and that is why.

2. I was not expecting the reveal of Sir Stephen's ghost! What do you think happened the night he died? Is he Zacharias' familiar? I don't know, but lots of people seem to think that Zach is a murderer. Do they think he killed Sir Stephen?

I think he made the right choice. I liked Mak Genggang. She seems smart.

4. Racism and sexism will likely play a major role in the book's theme. Do you find it difficult to experience the ways Zacharias and the witches are treated? I don't like it for sure! I can't say I have ever experienced it myself, I hope that the characters can be agents for change.

5. What do you make of the declining magical resources in England? Why do the witches seem to have an abundance? I think that the magic is not being used correctly so it is taken away. I also think that the witches have an abundance because they are innocent about it. (They are not misusing it)

reply | flag *

message 40: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1410 comments Discussion Questions Prologue - Chapter 5

I am having a lot of trouble with the writing style. i feel like it is taking me forever to read a chapter. It doesn't help define the setting.

I think he was experimenting with spells to try and help Zacharias. I don't think he is a familiar, Zacharias doesn't seem to gain power from him. It seems to me Sir Stephen staid as a ghost to help Zacharias with his new position.

Yes I think he made the right decision. Mak Genggang is scary and I think we will see a lot of her.

Yes it is difficult the way the thaumaturgs think about women and magic. That women are to frail to handle it I find myself shaking my head everytime things like this happen. Also the way Zacharias is distrusted by people just because of the color of his skin after he has proven himself over and over.

I think they did not use magic correctly and are now punished for it.

message 41: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1410 comments Chapters 6 - 11

6. What did you think of Prunella's decision to join the Sorcerer Royal? Was she a little bold? Will that make her a great adventurer or will she be a burden?
I think it was a very bold move and it got her what she wanted. I think she had reason to leave with the way she was treated. I think she will turn out to be a great asset to Zacharias with those familiat eggs.

7. The fire scene was kind of scary, but overall I find the book to be rather slow. Are you enjoying it? Does it feel slow to you?
I like the book, but it feels like a constant battle to get ahead. The writing is very difficult to get through. You know in dreams when you try to run away from danger and you feel like you can't get ahead, like you feet are stuck? That is how this book feels to me.

8. In chapter 10 Sir Stephen says, "One's anxiety rises in proportion to one's incapacity to do anything about it." I find that my anxiety rises when I don't have enough information about something. If I can't do anything about it, I can resolve myself to that and move on. I'm more anxious if I think I am supposed to do something but don't know how. How about you?
Same for me.

Familiars

10. What did you think about Prunella's treatment at the inn? There are lots of biases and prejudices in this book. I hope they are there for the author to use for growth and change in the culture and the characters, otherwise I am going to be very annoyed!
Her treatment was so wrong and also based on the color of her skin. It is starting to get very annoying,

message 42: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1410 comments I am now starting todays section and I think I won't be able to post questions today. I'll try to have them tomorrow.

Kay Kay | 1790 comments I am almost done with today's section, and I must say I am enjoying it a little more. I am getting used to the writing and warming up to the characters. Questions tomorrow are fine with me. (It's kind of my fault for pushing us all back anyway!)

message 44: by Lara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lara | 676 comments Chapters 6 - 11

6. What did you think of Prunella's decision to join the Sorcerer Royal? Was she a little bold? Will that make her a great adventurer or will she be a burden? Definitely bold. Given how intelligent and observant she is, I'm surprised that she hasn't thought about what her life would be like if she lost her position. She seems singularly unprepared for identifying any way to survive on her own.

7. The fire scene was kind of scary, but overall I find the book to be rather slow. Are you enjoying it? Does it feel slow to you? The scene was dramatic, but I agree that it wasn't scary. The fantasy of manners creates something of a distance between the reader and the action in a way that Austen and the Brontes did not at the time. I do think the book is a bit slow, but also think that is what makes it more "literary" and acceptable to those who otherwise look down on fantasy. I found Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell to be incredibly slow and paused my reading of it a while back given that it is much longer than this book. I also found Clarke's use of foreshadowing in such a slow book to be torturous. It was so clear that poor decisions were being made, but the developments were taking forever to evolve.

8. In chapter 10 Sir Stephen says, "One's anxiety rises in proportion to one's incapacity to do anything about it." I find that my anxiety rises when I don't have enough information about something. If I can't do anything about it, I can resolve myself to that and move on. I'm more anxious if I think I am supposed to do something but don't know how. How about you? Yes, I find that often I prefer listening to audiobooks of books I already know I like as I feel less anxious about finding out what will happen next. If I'm reading a book, then I can better control the speed if I need to handle the tension.

9. What do you think is inside Prunella's eggs? Well, she recognized them as familiar eggs, so I guess the only real question is what type, and how they would become attached to a sorcerer. There is some evidence that the initial bargain is one that familiars often find is not in their benefit and they become unhappy and troublesome as a result.

10. What did you think about Prunella's treatment at the inn? There are lots of biases and prejudices in this book. I hope they are there for the author to use for growth and change in the culture and the characters, otherwise I am going to be very annoyed! I'm surprised she didn't think about her reputation earlier. After all, even though her prospects are limited because she isn't a full Englishwoman, she could still be considered respectable. Having been raised at a girl's school, I find it unlikely that she'd dismiss the issue of chaperonage so easily. Zacharias thought of it without her doing any more than very vaguely alluding to a problem. I also would have thought that she'd be quicker on her feet with a story to shift perceptions, but guess that she was very tired and out of her element so not thinking straight.

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Lara wrote: "Chapters 6 - 11

6. What did you think of Prunella's decision to join the Sorcerer Royal? Was she a little bold? Will that make her a great adventurer or will she be a burden? Definitely bold. Give..."

I like your answer to number 7. I like the idea of fantasy of manners. It gives the book a different lens to consider the writing. It does have a formal feel to it.

In response to number 8, I had never thought about the reading rate that way. Sometimes I turn the rate up on my audio books. Also if I listen to a book that moves slower, sometimes I catch myself tuning out while I listen, so I do better with fast paced audio books.

message 46: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen (reader44ever) | 2878 comments Chapters 6 - 11

I thought she went about it wrong, so how she did it was very bold. As for being an adventurer or a burden, I was thinking she'd be a burden. I did not find much to admire in how she talked or thought.

I was enjoying the story, but I was beginning to wonder if I'd be able to finish it towards the end of this section. I just can't now remember why I considered DNFing it. But I guess it was slow for me.
I found myself wondering why, since this was a book about a Sorcerer Royal, we never really got to see Zacharias do any magic. ???

I'm disabled and my anxiety rises whenever I'm faced with something new, regardless of whether or not I know how to do whatever it is. Knowing or not knowing, I still feel overwhelmed.

Familiars. Once we learned that they were eggs, they pretty much had to be familiars. What sort of familiars? I didn't have the foggiest idea.

I found this scene very odd. Didn't she have Cawley with her when she went into the inn? I didn't like the innkeepers for jumping to the conclusion that she was Mr. Wythe's mistress.

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Jen wrote: "Chapters 6 - 11

I thought she went ab..."

Me either! They were mean and judgmental (the innkeepers)

message 48: by Lara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lara | 676 comments Karrie wrote: "Sometimes I turn the rate up on my audio books. Also if I listen to a book that moves slower, sometimes I catch myself tuning out while I listen, so I do better with fast paced audio books. "

I tend to speed up my audiobooks too. However, sometimes that's not enough and I feel the need to be able to power through a difficult or tense situation. After listening to many audiobooks, I feel this less often, though.

Taylor | 69 comments Chapters 6 - 11

I'm very excited about Prunella joining the Sorcerer Royal! I think that she must have some of her mysterious father's penchant for adventurism in her. She has a really interesting and unique balance of innocence due to being so good-natured and worldliness due to hardship. I'm really loving her personality and sense of humor and I think she will make a great adventurer and become quite powerful by the end of the book.

I'm actually finding it to be quite fast! I was just wishing yesterday that it would slow down a bit so I could savor the story a bit more, as I'm beginning to really enjoy it. I guess I'm used to slower fantasy novels that involve a great deal more description and character development. No complaints, though.

I really loved that line because I feel like I can relate to it perfectly. I don't like being ignorant about things, either, but I do feel significantly more anxiety about what I'm unable to do than what I don't know much about. I'm struggling with it a lot right now having a new baby, since I can see plenty of things around me that I want and need to do (housework... good lord) but which I can't get to and handle with baby in tow. I'm really good at worrying about things I can't do anything about, haha -- but it's fun to problem-solve and figure out how you can expand your sphere of responsibility enough to be able to conquer those things. :)

Oh, I just assumed them to be familiars, like Prunella surmised! If they are, and they all choose to serve her (if that's how it works? The part about magicians stealing familiars from Fairy confused me a bit), she's probably going to wind up being the most powerful magician in England! Even if she uses them as leverage against other sorcerers, they're still going to provide her with a great deal of power.

Omg, I was outraged! I wish Prunella had shown Mrs. Lale what-for, but I can't blame her for her reaction; I would have found it laughably absurd but still just wound up blushing crimson, too. I don't really understand why the Lales treated her so despicably despite that she was accompanied by a matronly chaperone, even if Crawley is just a pile of linens. I didn't realize that mixed-race and darker individuals were sexualized so much at the time (assuming that part is historically accurate), and I really can't wrap my mind around why that would be, and why the Lales would just assume a person with a darker hue than them would have more of a predilection towards wantonness. It's crazy! Makes me feel lucky I live in 2016! I've got a dusky complexion due to mixed heritage and I don't feel I've ever been treated that way.

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Taylor wrote: "Chapters 6 - 11

I'm very excited abo..."

I remember when my babies were little, and I had a hard time getting to the housework too! Just remember your most important job right now is rocking that baby and playing with it when it needs you! The rest will wait! My kids are in their early twenties now, and my house is still not clean, but my family is happy! :)

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sorcerer to the Crown (other topics)
Pride and Prejudice (other topics)
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (other topics)
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Georgette Heyer (other topics)